Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:09 AM

26 posts, read 116,036 times

Advertisements

[quote=naomisday;8955122]I have a cousin who was born and raised in Little Rock and she moved to Dallas after
college....

I also met some people from LR in Nashville on a visit..

You probably would do better in a Larger Southern City....if you stay in the South
Dall as, Houston,Atlanta,Miami

Old 05-25-2009, 08:12 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Hotair, I am not sure where you read that about AR having the most per capita on SS, but I guess it could be true. FInd it and I will believe it, but knowing how many people in Fl and AZ on SS plus a few other places I am just not sure. The smaller states are more affected by per capita than larger ones. It only takes a couple of murders in a small town to make it appear as an unsafe place because of "per capita"

Nita[/quote]

City data put the total population on social security for Florida at 19.6 percent , Arkansas at 19.5 and Arizona at 15. something; however, this is based on 2001 census information. I will keep looking for where I received the most recent information, but it is not hard to see that the property prices started going up in Florida and Arizona in 2000 that people started migrating to Arkansas. I was surprised when I first saw the numbers as well. In my opinion Arkansas is the new blue hair state.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Hotair, I am not sure where you read that about AR having the most per capita on SS, but I guess it could be true. FInd it and I will believe it, but knowing how many people in Fl and AZ on SS plus a few other places I am just not sure. The smaller states are more affected by per capita than larger ones. It only takes a couple of murders in a small town to make it appear as an unsafe place because of "per capita"

Nita
City data put the total population on social security for Florida at 19.6 percent , Arkansas at 19.5 and Arizona at 15. something; however, this is based on 2001 census information. I will keep looking for where I received the most recent information, but it is not hard to see that the property prices started going up in Florida and Arizona in 2000 that people started migrating to Arkansas. I was surprised when I first saw the numbers as well. In my opinion Arkansas is the new blue hair state.[/quote]I agree with you and please do keep looking. As for the new "blue hair" state (pretty funny btw) this comes partially from the development of HSV, CV and BV, plus Conway was rated in the top 20 places to retire a couple of years ago. I will add one thing though, Bella Vista, though still primarily a retirement community is drawing more young people all the time. Within the next 10 years I think it Bellas Vista's demographics will change. Some of us will die off you know. LOL

Old 05-25-2009, 12:12 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,654,334 times
Wow this thread has gone round and round, (Kinda like NASCAR)...
Some good points are made: Retirement folks like me are looking to move there, The younger College grad kids are looking to leave because of better paying jobs.
Some people are looking for excitment and nightlife, Some people (me) think that watching deer in the woods or a bass jumping in the lake is excitment and nightlife is watching lightening bugs in the tree tops.
The Lower cost of living is bringing in the retirement crowd, that can't be denied, and when your young folks get tired of the rat race they'll come home.

Last edited by Cali BassMan; 05-25-2009 at 01:11 PM..

Old 05-25-2009, 12:34 PM

837 posts, read 2,248,974 times
Well, I'm in between. Not anywhere close to retirement, but not in my 20s anymore either. I admit I don't go out as much as I used to, but when I do (and back when I did a lot) I certainly find cooler places to hang out than Chili's. And I don't listen to country music, or go to church.

Like I've said before, you're going to get out of it what you put into it. And that's going to apply to any city you live in.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:38 PM

529 posts, read 1,650,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthog61 View Post
My, but aren't you a bigot, but a well-traveled once since I don't know anyone else who has been to every town in the South.

There are folks who say everyone from NYC is an uncouth jackass and while you wouldn't provide any evidence to the contrary I would disagree.
I've been to just about every major city in the US and I understand what NYC1DAY means. There is a definite difference in attitude and culture between northern and southern cities. Especially cities in AR, GA, TN, MS, LA, and AL. I haven't been able to figure out exactly why these states are so different but I've always just assumed it was a southern thing. I'm not talking about the typical northern/southern differences but something more. I have some theories but that would be a whole new thread.

These cities are built around the car so much because the growth of these cities occured during the popularity of the automobile. It definitely hurt the cities infrastructure which is why so many southern cities are lacking in public transportation. I'm hoping that this will all change in the coming years. I know LR now has a trolley system now so hopefully they'll continue to expand it and bring people back to the downtown area.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
Well, I'm in between. Not anywhere close to retirement, but not in my 20s anymore either. I admit I don't go out as much as I used to, but when I do (and back when I did a lot) I certainly find cooler places to hang out than Chili's. And I don't listen to country music, or go to church.

Like I've said before, you're going to get out of it what you put into it. And that's going to apply to any city you live in.
True and I have 2 granddaughters that certainly knew what the party life was about in college, OMG, well one lives in Fayetteville and although she is only in her early 20s has decided there are more important things in life than where is the nearest bar, the other lives in OKC and certainly gave up the night life a few years ago. By the way, neither of them go to church, country music, wel certainly the one does listen..

Old 05-25-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
I've been to just about every major city in the US and I understand what NYC1DAY means. There is a definite difference in attitude and culture between northern and southern cities. Especially cities in AR, GA, TN, MS, LA, and AL. I haven't been able to figure out exactly why these states are so different but I've always just assumed it was a southern thing. I'm not talking about the typical northern/southern differences but something more. I have some theories but that would be a whole new thread.

These cities are built around the car so much because the growth of these cities occured during the popularity of the automobile. It definitely hurt the cities infrastructure which is why so many southern cities are lacking in public transportation. I'm hoping that this will all change in the coming years. I know LR now has a trolley system now so hopefully they'll continue to expand it and bring people back to the downtown area.
OMG, what about Los Angeles, Dallas, Phoenix, etc. and what does this have to do with AR being a crappy, redneck place to live? Yes, you are right about the growth of the cities, but this doesn't make them horrible like some would like to stress. I am completely supportive of rapid transit, most of us are complaining about the one sided views of people who have not even spent time in our state. I am not out to blast you by anymeans, just to point out the rapid transit thing was just one small part of it.

As for the culture being different between the north and the south? Sure it is, it is different between the east coast and Portland Or, as well or Abq and Dallas, Houston and Denver. This is not bad as would like all to think.

Nita

Old 05-25-2009, 04:58 PM

529 posts, read 1,650,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OMG, what about Los Angeles, Dallas, Phoenix, etc. and what does this have to do with AR being a crappy, redneck place to live? Yes, you are right about the growth of the cities, but this doesn't make them horrible like some would like to stress. I am completely supportive of rapid transit, most of us are complaining about the one sided views of people who have not even spent time in our state. I am not out to blast you by anymeans, just to point out the rapid transit thing was just one small part of it.

As for the culture being different between the north and the south? Sure it is, it is different between the east coast and Portland Or, as well or Abq and Dallas, Houston and Denver. This is not bad as would like all to think.

Nita
It was mentioned that Arkansas relies on the automobile too much. I was just explaining why that is and yes it applies to pretty much the entire US except for Chicago and the east coast.

The difference between the northern and southern cities is something beyond the obvious. It's also a much greater difference than east coast and west coast.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
It was mentioned that Arkansas relies on the automobile too much. I was just explaining why that is and yes it applies to pretty much the entire US except for Chicago and the east coast.

The difference between the northern and southern cities is something beyond the obvious. It's also a much greater difference than east coast and west coast.
You know the difference between the NO/SO and E/West? I don't think is true. NY versus San Fran, maybe, but Phoenix versus Boston, very different. We have lived, which is more than visited in DC. L.A. S.F, Dallas, ABQ and now NWA. plus have relatives in Phoenix and lots still in various parts of CA. ABQ is as different from NYC as NWA is from DC. L.A. is different in another way and Sac (which we lived in as well as Eureka) is nowhere near like D.C. Eureka is nothing like any of the above. All of them have a mindset that does not match that of other parts of our country. The culture, the economics, the diversity and the attitude of each is very different. L.A and S.F are somewhat the same. Visiting gives each of us a little taste of the area, one has to live in an area to totally feel the vibes.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas