Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:26 AM

9,732 posts, read 4,062,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
You seriously think there are no gangs and drugs in LR? You must then know very little about the town in your home state...
Please re-read my post. I never said anything about LR at all. I guess you missed the point I was making.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:26 AM

148 posts, read 350,815 times
The bible belt thumper assertion may have something to do with all that perversion that is apparently so prevalent in cities.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
You seriously think there are no gangs and drugs in LR? You must then know very little about the town in your home state...
No one would claim there is no crime, no matter where one lives, the point here is, there is less than in some areas and the OP is lumping all of AR into his thoughts on Little Rock.

Nita

Old 05-24-2009, 10:29 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Pau, lets face it, the OP is just like TexasDave, maybe related and can't find anything positive to say about the state. Things he thinks are negatives many think are positives. He talks about upscale of major shopping, well, in case he can't see, most cities of any size here have a Dillards and most malls, throughout the country are dieing. People do not do the mall thing anymore, they do the strip shopping like Kohls, Pennies and Belkz. (spelling?)

He mentions the lack of dining except for chain restaurants, I guess he doesn't realize a couple of things, no matter where we live this is the case and secondly there are many small dining establishments in this state that are very good.

As for our educational system, like any state in the country, the schools are as good as those who attend them. Yes, AR has its share of rural districts that may not stress advanced education because many attending will not continue their education after high school. Not everyone needs or should attend a university or community college. Our youngest granddaughter is married to a guy who barely got out of high school. At 28, he is making almost as much or maybe as much as many engineers. She, on the other hand graduated with honors from College last year and hardly found a job.

Our one daughter and her husband have their own business in Florida. Even with the recession, the money keeps rolling in. Both quit college short of graduating.

You, like me, are enjoying our lives here, we look for the sunshine behind the clouds. I hope OP does get out of AR. for his sake and for others.

Nita
I think you are being excessively hard on the OP. I don't think he and Texdave are the same. TDave may have some issues. I think the OP has some valid observations. I personally do not want him to leave the state. Who will I have to talk to then? I do think that a lot of the things that he thinks are negatives a lot of people consider positives...not me.

The unfortunate part about Arkansas is that it is not large enough to have a real diversity of culture. I think in Texas you would be able to find a city that would fit just about anyone. In Colorado you have Colorado Springs, which to me is a terrible place to live, but then you have Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins, which are completely different.

The fact is that all of the people who find what the OP stated as positives would love Ark, while the others who agreed would hate it. I did not think that anything that he wrote was factually inaccurate.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:30 AM

837 posts, read 2,248,974 times
Quote:
What the OP stated is every town in the deep south.

Really, it's every town in the south, excluding Miami, Atlanta, Houston and Dallas
If you think Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas are havens from rednecks, car culture, big box stores, chain restaurants, high school football stadiums, obesity, Christians, and crime, you are sadly mistaken.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:30 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
Please re-read my post. I never said anything about LR at all. I guess you missed the point I was making.
Um, bchris lives in Little Rock and your post was about "one of the big cities". So the only logical conclusion would be that you were comparing LR to larger cities.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:32 AM

9,732 posts, read 4,062,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezyone View Post
The bible belt thumper assertion may have something to do with all that perversion that is apparently so prevalent in cities.

Where there are no morals there is no civilization, but anarchy.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I think you are being excessively hard on the OP. I don't think he and Texdave are the same. TDave may have some issues. I think the OP has some valid observations. I personally do not want him to leave the state. Who will I have to talk to then? I do think that a lot of the things that he thinks are negatives a lot of people consider positives...not me.

The unfortunate part about Arkansas is that it is not large enough to have a real diversity of culture. I think in Texas you would be able to find a city that would fit just about anyone. In Colorado you have Colorado Springs, which to me is a terrible place to live, but then you have Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins, which are completely different.

The fact is that all of the people who find what the OP stated as positives would love Ark, while the others who agreed would hate it. I did not think that anything that he wrote was factually inaccurate.
I don't think I am being too hard on the OP, but I agree with you about AR not having a lot of diversity. This is the case with most smaller states. I think much of this may change in the furture and I think there is more diversity than some realize, we just do not have a truely major city.

Nita

Old 05-24-2009, 10:37 AM

837 posts, read 2,248,974 times
where are you planning to move to, bchris? you really need to put a lot of consideration into it, or I'm afraid you're going to find the same problems other places as you have here.

I mean, I would love to live somewhere like NYC, where all the cool sh*t is easy to find. I'd love to be able to walk to fabulous stores and ethnic restaurants and museums. but I can't afford it, and my kid is in school here and I'm not uprooting him right now. so I find the cool things that are where I am. I live in a extremely diverse, historic part of town, and I seek out the local and ethnic restaurants and the funky little stores and the bars where the best bands play. and there are plenty. of course there aren't as many as there would be in a larger city. Little Rock IS a small southern city, and to me, that is part of its charm.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:50 AM

148 posts, read 350,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
Where there are no morals there is no civilization, but anarchy.
Uh huh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas