Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:59 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,490,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What would make you say she is a bible belt thumper and how many cities in the south have you lived in? If you live here or have lived here that is one thing, if this is your opinion based on some **** and bull crap that is another. I feel just like her and just lik Pau, certainly I am far from a bible belt thumper..Some of us just like the life we lead, rednecks, blue grass music and the rest.

Since moving here a year ago, we have found almost everything we want or need: we have good medical facilities (hospitals) with in about 20 minute of so from our house, good police and fire protection, shopping, upscale as well as basic, restaurants, lots of people who happen to play bridge which is one of my passions, people interested in politics, both conservative and liberal, concerts, both country and others, 4 seassons with none being too drastic and yes, lots of churches for those who want to attend and be active.

We have neighborhood get togethers without it being overdone, for those who enjoy golf or fishing we have that, 2 major newspapers, one liberal, one conservative thus we get a cross section of views, and both community college and university.

No we can't buy booze in our county, but we can go to either of the surrounding counties and get it, and we can always have a drink in the restaurants. No, we do not have top entertainers coming to NWA very often (once in awhile) how many of us really depend on top entertainment to keep us happy anyway?
What else do we not have? We don't have much crime, we don't have a high cost of living, we don't have much traffic back up (some, yes)

For those who love the big city life, good for you, but don't put down our life style. What makes yours right and ours wrong???

Nita
Read her post again. That is the reason why she came off as a bible belt thumper. I have lived in the south and don't need to let you into my business.

So, I highlighted the last sentence of the first paragraph. So, you like living the redneck lifestyle? HAHA

The closest hospital is within 20 minutes of you? LOL. What if someone needs serious medical attention

Sorry!!!! American Eagle, Dillards, Old Navy and the Gap are NOT upscale

Did you find restaurants? Let me guess . Mcdonalds, Chickfila, bojangles, arby's, subway, burger king, the olive garden, texas roadhouse. LOL. Is that right?

Neighborhood get togethers? Where in the hell do you live. I don't want to associate with neighbors

You can't buy alchohol in your county? LOL. How far do you have to drive?

And Little Rock is FILLED with crime. Thugs + rednecks = Little Rock

Is this the lifestlye that you like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPAfN...eature=related

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 05-24-2009 at 11:43 AM..

Old 05-24-2009, 11:36 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times
Quote:
Pau, lets face it, the OP is just like TexasDave, maybe related and can't find anything positive to say about the state. Things he thinks are negatives many think are positives. He talks about upscale of major shopping, well, in case he can't see, most cities of any size here have a Dillards and most malls, throughout the country are dieing. People do not do the mall thing anymore, they do the strip shopping like Kohls, Pennies and Belkz. (spelling?)

He mentions the lack of dining except for chain restaurants, I guess he doesn't realize a couple of things, no matter where we live this is the case and secondly there are many small dining establishments in this state that are very good.

As for our educational system, like any state in the country, the schools are as good as those who attend them. Yes, AR has its share of rural districts that may not stress advanced education because many attending will not continue their education after high school. Not everyone needs or should attend a university or community college. Our youngest granddaughter is married to a guy who barely got out of high school. At 28, he is making almost as much or maybe as much as many engineers. She, on the other hand graduated with honors from College last year and hardly found a job.

Our one daughter and her husband have their own business in Florida. Even with the recession, the money keeps rolling in. Both quit college short of graduating.

You, like me, are enjoying our lives here, we look for the sunshine behind the clouds. I hope OP does get out of AR. for his sake and for others.

Nita
Hmm...are you trying to convince me or yourself?

And the big difference between me and TexasDave is I actually TRIED to like Arkansas. I gave it chance after chance after chance and have come to the point where I need to get on with my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Read her post again. That is the reason why she came off as a bible belt thumper. I have lived in the south and don't need to let you into my business.

So, I highlighted the last sentence of the first paragraph. So, you like living the redneck lifestyle? HAHA

The closest hospital is within 20 minutes of you? LOL. What if someone needs serious medical attention

Sorry!!!! American Eagle, Old Navy and the Gap are NOT upscale

Did you find restarurants? Let me guess . Mcdonalds, Chickfila, bojangles, arby's, subway, burger king, the olive garden, texas roadhouse. LOL. Is that right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPAfN...eature=related
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
Sounds like you need to move to one of the big cities. You need some real excitement. Like the gangs shooting each other and innocent bystanders. But don't worry you can get all the drugs from them anyone would ever need. If that's what you're looking for. Maybe you could go to work for one of the big corporations, full of greed, corruption and tail kissers galore. Oh, and are you looking for perversion? Well, they have everything you could want or imagine. But don't forget the road rage from sitting in traffic for hours, the occasional police chase, or the continual noise and pollution. You get the most beautiful, red sunsets from the smog. Yep, you better hurry! You're gonna miss it
You can find all this stuff in Little Rock, but without the positives of city living to make up for it.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:48 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,373,595 times
I don't think there is a right or wrong opinion about where one lives. What I do think is we are extremely fortunate to live in a great country where there is such wonderful variety of places to live.
Don't like Arkansas? Well there are 49 other states to chose from. There is a great variety of climates to choose from and environments to choose from. This country has so many different cities you could live in. Pick one! Most countries don't have that kind of variety. Move to one of those other states and stop infecting the people where you live now with your negativity about Arkansas.
BTW, I am sure wherever you do move to there are people who could give you a list of "10 reasons I am tired of living in...." about NY, LA, Houston, Florida, Minnesota or wherever.
If people can find a way to pick up and move here from India or China, you can find a way to move somewhere else within the country.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:

Sorry!!!! American Eagle, Dillards, Old Navy and the Gap are NOT upscale

Did you find restaurants? Let me guess . Mcdonalds, Chickfila, bojangles, arby's, subway, burger king, the olive garden, texas roadhouse. LOL. Is that right?

Neighborhood get togethers? Where in the hell do you live. I don't want to associate with neighbors

YouTube - Theme Song to The Andy Griffith Show
I wouldn't want to know your business and it is obvious you wouldn't want anyone to know it as your bio is closed. That certainly is your right, who am I to tell you how to live..You have lived in the south, not all the south is alike and believe it or not NWA is considered by many as more mid-west even though geographically it is southern. This really doesn't make any difference anyway. No one is asking you to like our life style, but we are asking you to realize there are all kinds of life styles in our wonderful country. Not any particularly one is right for everyone.

1-I do not live the redneck life style, but I do think there is nothing wrong with people being themselves, respecting others which many big city people do not do, being friendly and yes, knowing ones neighbors. If they want to talk about the weather, the cows, how much hay is selling for, this doesn't make them dumb, lazy or anything else. It makes them the type of people many of our ancestors were.

Serious medical attention: we have a great fire and EMT station just a couple of minutes from here. Heck, we lived in the DC area, Dallas and Los Angeles, because of traffic it would take just as long there to go 5 miles as it takes to go 20 here.

Upscale: you are right, they are true upscale but how many people really need upscale or can afford what you are probably thinking of, or do you consider Macy's upscale?

Restaurants, because I majored in food and nuitrician, would rather cook than do anything other than play bridge I do not do fast food and rarely even a Chili's type (still fast food) The one exception, InNout burgers in the west. I am considered a blue ribbon cook and have had recipes published in various periodicals, I think I know something about good dining.

So you don't want to associate with your neighbors? Why are they too good for you?

How far do we have to go to get booze? We are 2 miles from the MO state line, there are 3 stores on the border plus Wal Mart that is about 2 minutes further. It takes less time to get to these stores than it did to get to the liqour store in Texas and about the same time it took us in Los Angeles. In VA we had to buy it at a state store.

As for crime and Little Rock, my understanding is there is crime but it is very isolated to a couple of areas. I don't live there so do not know this for a fact and you don't either. Oh, I am sorry you know everything!!!!

Our area has very little crime, I do comment on areas I know nothing about.

Nita

Old 05-24-2009, 12:46 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,490,393 times
Quote:
I wouldn't want to know your business and it is obvious you wouldn't want anyone to know it as your bio is closed. That certainly is your right, who am I to tell you how to live..You have lived in the south, not all the south is alike and believe it or not NWA is considered by many as more mid-west even though geographically it is southern. This really doesn't make any difference anyway. No one is asking you to like our life style, but we are asking you to realize there are all kinds of life styles in our wonderful country. Not any particularly one is right for everyone.

1-I do not live the redneck life style, but I do think there is nothing wrong with people being themselves, respecting others which many big city people do not do, being friendly and yes, knowing ones neighbors. If they want to talk about the weather, the cows, how much hay is selling for, this doesn't make them dumb, lazy or anything else. It makes them the type of people many of our ancestors were.

Serious medical attention: we have a great fire and EMT station just a couple of minutes from here. Heck, we lived in the DC area, Dallas and Los Angeles, because of traffic it would take just as long there to go 5 miles as it takes to go 20 here.

Upscale: you are right, they are true upscale but how many people really need upscale or can afford what you are probably thinking of, or do you consider Macy's upscale?

Restaurants, because I majored in food and nuitrician, would rather cook than do anything other than play bridge I do not do fast food and rarely even a Chili's type (still fast food) The one exception, InNout burgers in the west. I am considered a blue ribbon cook and have had recipes published in various periodicals, I think I know something about good dining.

So you don't want to associate with your neighbors? Why are they too good for you?

How far do we have to go to get booze? We are 2 miles from the MO state line, there are 3 stores on the border plus Wal Mart that is about 2 minutes further. It takes less time to get to these stores than it did to get to the liqour store in Texas and about the same time it took us in Los Angeles. In VA we had to buy it at a state store.

As for crime and Little Rock, my understanding is there is crime but it is very isolated to a couple of areas. I don't live there so do not know this for a fact and you don't either. Oh, I am sorry you know everything!!!!

Our area has very little crime, I do comment on areas I know nothing about.

Nita
Sorry, that my profile was not open. I am trying to get rid of 2 stalkers. It is open now though

All of the south is alike. All of the south is the way the OP described except for miami, atlanta, houston and dallas

I consider Neiman Marcus, Gucci, Dolce and Gabanna and Prada upscale. Sorry, the Gap is not

Old 05-24-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Sorry, that my profile was not open. I am trying to get rid of 2 stalkers. It is open now though

All of the south is alike. All of the south is the way the OP described except for miami, atlanta, houston and dallas

I consider Neiman Marcus, Gucci, Dolce and Gabanna and Prada upscale. Sorry, the Gap is not
Never thought the Gap was, Needless Markups, yes, but they are becoming a thing of the past or are on the way out.

Again, if you haven't lived in "all of the south" you can't judge. You say you lived in one city, I don't know which one that was, it doesn't make a difference. Sure there are things that make the south similar regardless of where you live but this is true about New England, The Pacific Coast, or the mid west for that matter. Here, we rarely meet anyone that was born or raised in AR. This isn't good or bad, just fact.

Trying to get rid of stalkers, all I had to do was let the moderator know: end of story!!!
Nita

Old 05-24-2009, 01:08 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,208,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Is it still? I thought it had gotten better there. Still, I can't recall *ever* seeing a person of color on any of my visits.

20yrsinBranson
No, Harrison hasn't been a sundown town for many years.

That hasn't kept anyone from using it as a very tired example of the "racism" in Arkansas.

It's just another dead horse that comes up on a regular basis.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:20 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,751,523 times
Ummmm....yep, some of us do like the Mayberry lifestyle, so why shouldn't we have areas of the country that are like that for those of us who do? If you are in one and you don't like it....go somewhere else.

What is so irritating is that some people automatically assume that those of us who CHOOSE simple lives are simple minded. Not so. But some of you are so high-minded and full of yourselves that you cannot appreciate simplicity. Your loss.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:46 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,208,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Ummmm....yep, some of us do like the Mayberry lifestyle, so why shouldn't we have areas of the country that are like that for those of us who do? If you are in one and you don't like it....go somewhere else.

What is so irritating is that some people automatically assume that those of us who CHOOSE simple lives are simple minded. Not so. But some of you are so high-minded and full of yourselves that you cannot appreciate simplicity. Your loss.
You hit it on the head, Luv.

I tired to rep you but I'm rep-locked for about 1/2 the posters here, including you.

I would just as soon the people have this attitude. If they knew the truth, they would want to play also. As one simple minded redneck to another, Luv, why would we want the company?

The thing about the nay-sayers is, they don't just say, "Boy, this sucks", and move, or just shake their head and go on, they've got to hang out on the Arkansas forum, telling everyone else their philosophy of what one should desire in a city, and to sub phrase a recent poster, "If you don't like what I like, you're a stupid redneck".

I guess this forum is as good a place as any to sit in front of a computer begging for attention.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
You hit it on the head, Luv.

I tired to rep you but I'm rep-locked for about 1/2 the posters here, including you.

I would just as soon the people have this attitude. If they knew the truth, they would want to play also. As one simple minded redneck to another, Luv, why would we want the company?

The thing about the nay-sayers is, they don't just say, "Boy, this sucks", and move, or just shake their head and go on, they've got to hang out on the Arkansas forum, telling everyone else their philosophy of what one should desire in a city, and to sub phrase a recent poster, "If you don't like what I like, you're a stupid redneck".

I guess this forum is as good a place as any to sit in front of a computer begging for attention.
you got it Rog. I understand people not liking AR or any other place for that matter, but to blast it constantly serves no real purpose. Someone comes here, needs to know the best schools and XXX says, ABC has good schools, but watch out for DEF, I can buy. To answer a question with nothing but a bunch of negatives, shows little class as far as I am concerned and whould turn me off if I were trying to get honest opinions.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas