Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 02:11 PM
pau

45 posts, read 120,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
Incorrect! But I am a Christian

Old 05-24-2009, 02:15 PM
pau

45 posts, read 120,892 times
yep!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Ummmm....yep, some of us do like the Mayberry lifestyle, so why shouldn't we have areas of the country that are like that for those of us who do? If you are in one and you don't like it....go somewhere else.

What is so irritating is that some people automatically assume that those of us who CHOOSE simple lives are simple minded. Not so. But some of you are so high-minded and full of yourselves that you cannot appreciate simplicity. Your loss.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:30 PM

529 posts, read 1,650,879 times
nmnita, you need to realize Little Rock is nothing like your community of Bella Vista. NWA is not Little Rock. Little Rock is nothing like (insert whatever city you have lived in). Little Rock has a lot of positives and negatives. It's a great place for some and hell for others so I completely understand bchris02s issues.

However, I have to agree with jenni-b. Little Rock does have most of the things bchris02 thinks it lacks. You just have to know where to look. Of course it's not going to be as good as NYC or LA or even Dallas but you can't say it's non-existing. LR has taken great strides the past few years to improve itself and I think it will eventually become a fantastic place to live.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:56 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times
Interesting discusion.Someone says "Arkansas sucks", and then the chorus of "no it doesn't" rings out.Sounds familiar. I don't agree with everything said (I think Arkansas has culture, just doesn't jive with me) but the issues are legitimate, and should be open to more civil discussion than just "don't let the door hit you", or the even more vague "UH, UH! no it ain't!", or even worse "all places are like that". I know better. Sure, all places have problems, it's just a matter of what you're willing to put up with, and how much.The OP's issues are nothing new, and neither are txdave's. Or mine. We all have different reasons. I was young and single once in Little Rock. It can be a boring little town for that time in a persons life. Nothing wrong with that.Some are overwhelmed by it, believe it or not. Nothing wrong with that, either.It's not what I would consider a good place to raise a family, but some like it for just that. No problem. As for me, I'll probably end up raising the kiddos in Podunk,North Dakota before it's all over with.I'm over the Big City thing.Little Rock = Arkansas, and Arkansas = Little Rock. They are the same, because 62.54% of the people in LR moved there from some other part of the state like I did. That's where the "jobs" are. The whloe state is roughly the same, save for New California, which, by the way, is NOT midwestern. Far, far from it.There seems to be a lot of hostility towards those who criticize Arkansas. Let's face it. The state has some issues. First in everything you want to be last in, and vise versa. Side note: being friends with obese people can make you gain weight... it's happened to me. Yes, obesity is a concern to those who are not.Are there other places with the same problems? Of course. Does that mean we should act like they aren't problems anymore? Well...... it does not seemed to have worked on anything else we've done that with.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:07 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
I don't understand why everyone gets so defensive when someone says that there is something about Arkansas that they don't like. If I were retired and on a fixed income and wanted a cheap, quiet, place with relatively low crime rates, Arkansas would probably be a good option for me. If I was a person who enjoyed rural living, then I think Arkansas would be a good option. I am neither. I think, the OP is correct if you want the things that the OP wants there are certainly better places than Arkansas.
I do agree that he should probably give Little Rock more of a chance. I liked living there, when I did live there. I am trying to get back now, but certainly it does not compare to Dallas or Atlanta.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:28 PM

165 posts, read 524,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The culture – Arkansas has a very redneck culture. It dominates from the small towns to the heart of Little Rock. Most people are interested in NASCAR
Pennsylvania is the state with the most NASCAR obsessed fans so I wouldn't recommend a relo to the keystone state.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:57 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,490,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognoxious View Post
Pennsylvania is the state with the most NASCAR obsessed fans so I wouldn't recommend a relo to the keystone state.
That is a flat out lie

Old 05-24-2009, 04:00 PM

165 posts, read 524,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
That is a flat out lie
Moderator cut: bleep I just completed a retail marketing profile FOR Nascar executives. I hate Nascar but can tell you about anything you want to know about the fanbase.

Last edited by leorah; 05-24-2009 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: Personal attack, language

Old 05-24-2009, 04:12 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Interesting discusion.Someone says "Arkansas sucks", and then the chorus of "no it doesn't" rings out.Sounds familiar. I don't agree with everything said (I think Arkansas has culture, just doesn't jive with me) but the issues are legitimate, and should be open to more civil discussion than just "don't let the door hit you", or the even more vague "UH, UH! no it ain't!", or even worse "all places are like that". I know better. Sure, all places have problems, it's just a matter of what you're willing to put up with, and how much.The OP's issues are nothing new, and neither are txdave's. Or mine. We all have different reasons. I was young and single once in Little Rock. It can be a boring little town for that time in a persons life. Nothing wrong with that.Some are overwhelmed by it, believe it or not. Nothing wrong with that, either.It's not what I would consider a good place to raise a family, but some like it for just that. No problem. As for me, I'll probably end up raising the kiddos in Podunk,North Dakota before it's all over with.I'm over the Big City thing.Little Rock = Arkansas, and Arkansas = Little Rock. They are the same, because 62.54% of the people in LR moved there from some other part of the state like I did. That's where the "jobs" are. The whloe state is roughly the same, save for New California, which, by the way, is NOT midwestern. Far, far from it.There seems to be a lot of hostility towards those who criticize Arkansas. Let's face it. The state has some issues. First in everything you want to be last in, and vise versa. Side note: being friends with obese people can make you gain weight... it's happened to me. Yes, obesity is a concern to those who are not.Are there other places with the same problems? Of course. Does that mean we should act like they aren't problems anymore? Well...... it does not seemed to have worked on anything else we've done that with.
Great post

Old 05-24-2009, 05:12 PM

4 posts, read 8,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well except for 5., which I consider to be a big positive rather than a negative, and the fact that I couldn't care less about pro sports, I totally agree with you - I feel the same way living in Rural Missouri.

However, I have discovered that even in larger cities, some of the things that you describe have become more and more prevalent. If you go to any big city now, you are confronted with boring Sysco-Truck restaurants like Chili's and TGI Fridays and the like. Finding good, independently owned and operated eateries, that do not taste all the same is getting to be a real challenge.

Likewise, even in big cities, much of the entertainment is targeted, it seems, toward the low end of the spectrum, intellect-wise. People are just generally getting dumber and less sophisticated and companies are gearing up to market to those ever-increasing numbers of seething morons.

Other than moving to Boston, or NYC or some other huge city in the NE, what can you do about it? The whole country is getting this way.

20yrsinBranson
I understand your speech.. But excuse me I have some problem with a word that you have used!! "morons" could you explain his means better? Excuse me again but I following this forum from italy.. I'm not American and I don't find it on the dictionary.!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas