Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 10:58 AM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,672 times

Advertisements

This is the same cemetery as above and is in Clark County. Stopping here was an after-thought and getting late so I didn't think to get a GPS location. In one of these photos you can see that, for some reason, my camera lens did not completely open but you can see the hill on which the cemetery is located and see some of the tombstones leaning against the tree.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_7926.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_7927.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 11:01 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
This is in what appears to be a small abandoned family cemetery off AR Highway 26 east of Antoine. There appears to be six graves with no stones but there are four tombstones leaning against a tree. Here is one of them.
Sad, died at 6 years old.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:32 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Sad, died at 6 years old.
I have a settler's cemetery about 400 yards from my house. There are quite a few infants and young people in it. Having a baby was not so easy in the mid 1800's when homesteading.

An *old* timer told me of how when he was young, a woman set out to take some food to her husband who was working far out in a field. He said it was a super hot day, and on the way she had some sort of an attack and died.

A neighbor with a wagon came by and got him to help load her and bring her up to the cemetery so they could dig a grave and bury her right away.

Many, many tales of "old".

Old 11-18-2011, 11:02 AM

807 posts, read 2,514,998 times
Quote:
10-4 on the log truck Allen. It gets even more interesting on the single-track dirt back roads of east Pike and west Clark Counties.
It appears the Ouachita Bridge is about to be replaced. It will probably be a Plain Jane slab of concrete also.

http://www.arkansashighways.com/publ...0240/Flyer.pdf

Old 11-19-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenKarber View Post
It appears the Ouachita Bridge is about to be replaced. It will probably be a Plain Jane slab of concrete also.

http://www.arkansashighways.com/publ...0240/Flyer.pdf
Yep, that's what my friend is afraid of. He's trying to photo all of those he can before they are gone.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:04 PM

807 posts, read 2,514,998 times
Quote:
Yep, that's what my friend is afraid of. He's trying to photo all of those he can before they are gone.
We have lost some good ones for sure!

Old 11-25-2011, 07:20 PM

Today I received a note from my "bridge friend" telling me that he had received documents stating part of the RR that runs from Gurdon through Okolona, Antoine, Amity, etc. is going to be taken up. He said that is the reason two years ago he walked the entire 52 miles photographing everything he could, fearing that would eventually happen. The first train to "officially" reach the west end (Womble/Norman) was in January 1908 although it had been used as a logging railroad long before that. I think it was used continuously from that time until the Bean Lumber Company went bankrupt a few years ago. It lasted much longer than most RRs of that size/type. That's the RR of which I have posted a few photos.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:01 PM

18 posts, read 64,130 times
Default I want you to meet my "Little Friend"

Found this Cotton Mouth on the old Union Pacific Railroad near Benzel, in Desha County, Arkansas. By the size of his stomach I am guessing he ate the last Bridge Hunter!! There is a beautiful long railroad trestle here that runs across LaGrues Lake.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-benzal-rr-bridge-white-river-desha  

Old 11-26-2011, 07:30 PM

18 posts, read 64,130 times
Default Lagrues Lake Railroad Trestle, Desha County, ARK

This photograph of the Lagrues Lake Railroad Trestle was taken along with the Cotton Mouth picture on July 30, 2009. Beautiful swamp, something I can handle after residing in the Cajun Country of Louisianna for 7 years. Looking forward to my next journey down to Desha County and the end of the world this December. My son who serves in the US Navy will be home on leave and we're heading for beautiful Snow Lake, Arkansas and the railroad trestle across Hole-In-The-Wall Lake to get some more photos. This whole railroad is being turned into a 72 mile hiking trail by the State of Arkansas. Upon completion it will be a state park called The Delta Heritage Hiking Trail. I am trying to photograph all the railroad bridges and trestles before they are completly altered to the point they no long look like railroad trestles.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-benzal-rr-bridge-white-river-desha  

Old 11-27-2011, 03:00 PM

Great photos Randall. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas