Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2013, 08:38 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
For one who is not Filipino, who are you to say that ? You do not know anything about our customs and traditions...it is only us who can tell which culture we resemble. Are you aware of our cultural and religious festivities ? Those festivities are also practised in Latin America.
Do you know all of our foods, deserts and goodies ? While some native delicacies might be a little similar to Asian countries but most food, deserts and goodies were contributed by Spain.
I noticed that you are always insisting that Philippine culture is very Asian just because we are in Asia, we eat rice and we look Asian. I wonder if America never came and took over and Philippines still speak Spanish, what would other Asians also think ?
We acknowledge our Indonesian and Malaysian siblings since they also became a part of our culture but our culture was really shaped when we were colonised.
We relate more with Latin America because of the silimar traditions that we have. We are in Asia yes, but our culture is more similar to Latin America and it is only us Filipinos and Latin Americans who can see the similarities we have because it is our own culture.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=scZ7PPXTKPY
Sure, but this is a comparison. Are you also Mexican? I mentioned other southeast Asians. Are you also Thai, Malaysian, and Indonesian? I don't see much logic behind why what I say should be discounted.

Meh, I've spent a pretty good amount of time in the Philippines and in Mexico. I grew up in a mostly Asian (with a lot of Filipinos) and Mexican neighborhood in southern California and the social groups that form sort of go in either direction with Filipinos, but mostly with other Asians. There are a lot of commonalities, especially with religion, between the two but there are way more intrinsic similarities that you seem eager to disregard because you're probably not that interested in looking into it anyhow.

Look at this topic so far. There's basically a wonderfully strong drive to try to link anything possible between the two. It doesn't matter how unlikely ceviche and kinilaw are a trans-Pacific point between the two--despite the research that mostly points otherwise, people want to link that. You really have to want to believe this to be true to see the similarities. Walking around Jakarta, Manila, Mexico City, and Lima, and it becomes immediately apparent which cities are more like which.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:50 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sure, but this is a comparison. Are you also Mexican? I mentioned other southeast Asians. Are you also Thai, Malaysian, and Indonesian? I don't see much logic behind why what I say should be discounted.

Meh, I've spent a pretty good amount of time in the Philippines and in Mexico. I grew up in a mostly Asian (with a lot of Filipinos) and Mexican neighborhood in southern California and the social groups that form sort of go in either direction with Filipinos, but mostly with other Asians. There are a lot of commonalities, especially with religion, between the two but there are way more intrinsic similarities that you seem eager to disregard because you're probably not that interested in looking into it anyhow.

Look at this topic so far. There's basically a wonderfully strong drive to try to link anything possible between the two. It doesn't matter how unlikely ceviche and kinilaw are a trans-Pacific point between the two--despite the research that mostly points otherwise, people want to link that. You really have to want to believe this to be true to see the similarities. Walking around Jakarta, Manila, Mexico City, and Lima, and it becomes immediately apparent which cities are more like which.
Only Filipinos and Mexicans are really credible to say " No " because it is only them who can really see their similarities since it is their culture, customs and traditions. How do you know about the culture and traditions of Filipinos and Mexicans if you are neither of them ? You are not even from another country in Latin America. You are a Chinese and do not know anything about hispanic culture. Reading things on the net or visiting two countries for a short time is not enough for you to see everything about hispanic culture.
When I see Mexican novelas I see loads and loads of similarities... culture, way of life and way of thinking. Just too identical.
My brother in law is Mexican. As soon as he got in the Philippine airport, he was surprised and thought to himself that " it's like Mexico ".
Even people here on CD who are neither of the two, also agree with how identical Mexicans and Philippines are and not only Mexicans but other Latin Americans too.

There might be some similarities with other Asian countries since the environment among poor people are the same, but definitely not the culture.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:14 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,114,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Louisiana is very Latin American. It's historic and cultural core base is Spanish and French. This also extends to all other areas of the vast Louisiana Territory region going back to colonial times. It consisted of a majority of land of what is now the USA.
My Mother's Paternal 3rd Great-Grandfather is French National who went to the Philippines during the early 19th Century during the Spanish Colonial era. I was thinking about Louisiana in the New World and as well as the Opening of the Suez Canal. Cotillion or Rigodon de Honor is originally a French Dance but was introduced by the Spaniards to the Filipinos.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:48 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
That's really harsh to say that Filipinos only features Asian as in look, you people are really Asians, just look at the street food etc that hardly features any Latin American culture. Philippines do have Spanish influence yes but the similarities of the Philippines with its neighboring Asian country goes even deeper to root. Chinese may have intebred with the Pinoy but also largely influence the culture there, just like how they influence other Southeast Asian nations.

The difference is that Philippines are a large ingedious groups at that time and doesn't really have a 1 whole representative culture as much as its neighbor since it is too widespreadout, making the Spanish and American easily influence the life there by uniting them under 1 banner and culture, also the Spanish priority to spread religion easily kills traditional life there. Whereareas in Vietnam, Indonesia and Malaysia, these county are large influential kingdoms with a state religion, making it harder for missionaries to kill local religion.
Before I continue with you, where do you live? What experience do you have with either group? You have Filipinos AND Mexicans telling you how similar they are and yet, you're going to tell them that they don't know themselves??? Do you realize how that makes you sound?

Old 11-08-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Fillipinos have unique features that set them apart. I'm usually able to tell Asian groups apart. Mannerisms come into play in how you can distinguish which one is which, and skin tone and color etc.
While I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying, a lot of people in the Philippines are of Chinese decent and look like it. That's what I was getting at.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Only Filipinos and Mexicans are really credible to say " No " because it is only them who can really see their similarities since it is their culture, customs and traditions. How do you know about the culture and traditions of Filipinos and Mexicans if you are neither of them ? You are not even from another country in Latin America. You are a Chinese and do not know anything about hispanic culture. Reading things on the net or visiting two countries for a short time is not enough for you to see everything about hispanic culture.
When I see Mexican novelas I see loads and loads of similarities... culture, way of life and way of thinking. Just too identical.
My brother in law is Mexican. As soon as he got in the Philippine airport, he was surprised and thought to himself that " it's like Mexico ".
Even people here on CD who are neither of the two, also agree with how identical Mexicans and Philippines are and not only Mexicans but other Latin Americans too.

There might be some similarities with other Asian countries since the environment among poor people are the same, but definitely not the culture.
Isn't it amazing how people who don't belong to your group are arrogant enough to tell you about yourself? What I've learned about people is, when they are not able to understand something, the denial mechanism kicks in. Denying something makes sense to them.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:13 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Isn't it amazing how people who don't belong to your group are arrogant enough to tell you about yourself? What I've learned about people is, when they are not able to understand something, the denial mechanism kicks in. Denying something makes sense to them.
Oh yes totally amazing. I couldn't agree more. Everything you said is just right !

Old 11-08-2013, 01:08 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,114,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yes! in Latin AMerican they are called carreras de cinta a caballo.
Thanks! lol yeah it is similar.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:20 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,840 times
Quote:
Before I continue with you, where do you live? What experience do you have with either group? You have Filipinos AND Mexicans telling you how similar they are and yet, you're going to tell them that they don't know themselves??? Do you realize how that makes you sound?
I have Mexican close friend, been to the Philippines, have Filipino teachers... none of them seem to talk abt similarity whatsoever.

BTW does filipino plays pinata?

Quote:
Perhaps the denial is within yourself? when one kicked off a statement denying the reality, you will find a way to link it together again... how odd.. what makes you understand these thing more? because you are hispanic? or are you expert in this section?

Quote:
Again, we are not denying that we are Asian because we are in Asia. It is normal to have some similarities with neughbouring countries so it shouldn't be pushed any more. But for two countries that are miles apart and belong to different continents is just amazing.
Again its the spanish and the trade links, you are one country at some point, you shouldn't be surprised when you see Peru or Panama to have somewhat similar culture with Philippines too.

Last edited by Goshio22; 11-08-2013 at 07:29 PM..

Old 11-08-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
I have Mexican close friend, been to the Philippines, have Filipino teachers... none of them seem to talk abt similarity whatsoever.

BTW does filipino plays pinata?

Perhaps the denial is within yourself? when one kicked off a statement denying the reality, you will find a way to link it together again... how odd.. what makes you understand these thing more? because you are hispanic? or are you expert in this section?

Again its the spanish and the trade links, you are one country at some point, you shouldn't be surprised when you see Peru or Panama to have somewhat similar culture with Philippines too.
I'm neither Filipino, nor Mexican which is why it's so astonishing why I can see it as an outsider but you can't. You can say to me whatever you want. Answers these questions; the first is, what makes you think you know more about those two groups of people than the very people themselves? please answer that for us. Secondly, you have mentioned that you've traveled blah blah blah. Traveling and actually being observant are two different things. How much experience do you really have with both groups? I live 5 miles from the Mexican border and there are lots of Mexicans and Filipinos where I live. What they say matches what those in this thread, who belong to those cultures have also said. This goes back to why you think you know more than they do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia