Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 12:35 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,534 times

Advertisements

Musical Instrument

Filipino Bandurria

Rondalla

Mexican Bandurria

Last edited by pinai; 11-09-2013 at 12:51 AM..

Old 11-09-2013, 04:06 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
See ? You are saying we don't have similarities with Mexico when you didn't even know we play Pinata too ? How stupid can that be ??? Jajajaja

Has your Mexican friend and Filipino teacher ever gone together ? How long ?
They will only be able to see their similarities if they go together and bond.

My brother in law is Mexican. He was a bit clueless about Filipino culture before since there aren't many Filipinos in his place though his Father already told him how similar Mexicans and Filipinos are because his Father stayed almost a year in the Philippines when he was younger. But he believed what his Father told him when he spent ONE Month in the Philippines, spent the whole month with Filipino people.

In the States, Filipinos and Mexicans are always compared because they are quite similar. You can search on that on the net if you want too. There are also too many intermarriages between Mexicans and Filipinos.

Try to read about Philippine History first before you argue and insist that there aren't similarities between Mexicans and Filipinos. You will be surprised that there were Mexicans who stayed in the Philippines and Filipinos who stayed in Mexico during the Galleon trade.

I showed you a video before regarding Mexico and Filipinas being sister nations, watch it so you will see and understand about the deep friendship and sisterhood built between these two countries.

I am not going to be surprised if Philippines has similarities with other Latin American countries. They are Catholics too and were also colonised by Spain so we should really have things in common with them. Look at Cuba, they also wear Guanabera which is very similar tp ours. We also have Picadillo or Arroz a la Cubana and Empanadas in the Philippines which are also present all over Latin America. Spain was very influential to all it's colonies.
Cuba had a lot of Fillipino slaves and back and forth migration between Philippines and Cuba throughout the colonial period.

Look up Pinar del Rio, Cuba

Old 11-09-2013, 10:29 AM

37,122 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Only Filipinos and Mexicans are really credible to say " No " because it is only them who can really see their similarities since it is their culture, customs and traditions. How do you know about the culture and traditions of Filipinos and Mexicans if you are neither of them ? You are not even from another country in Latin America. You are a Chinese and do not know anything about hispanic culture. Reading things on the net or visiting two countries for a short time is not enough for you to see everything about hispanic culture.
When I see Mexican novelas I see loads and loads of similarities... culture, way of life and way of thinking. Just too identical.
My brother in law is Mexican. As soon as he got in the Philippine airport, he was surprised and thought to himself that " it's like Mexico ".
Even people here on CD who are neither of the two, also agree with how identical Mexicans and Philippines are and not only Mexicans but other Latin Americans too.

There might be some similarities with other Asian countries since the environment among poor people are the same, but definitely not the culture.
If your basis for whether or not someone can judge a culture is based on being ethnically a part of that culture, then that means virtually no one can do a comparison because the fact is you can be one, but you're unlikely to be the other, i.e. you are filipino, but not mexican, so how would you ever be qualified for the comparison by your own standards. Do you see the stupidity there?

I've been to a lot of these different places around southeast Asia and latin America, and I grew up with mostly east asians, southeast asian, and mexicans. I'm saying this from the vantage point of an outside observer and I don't claim otherwise--the Philippines is more like Indonesia than it is Mexico and by a substantial margin. There are still going to be significant commonalities between Mexico and the Philippines though, because having more in common with Indonesia doesn't mean there aren't going to be many things in common with Mexico as well.

As for all that agreement on CD, well I think I just disagreed with you--probably did, though I was in agreement there were similarities between Mexico and the Philippines. How amazing. Also, I think a lot of this is from people's sort of rough handle on English here. Some of the replies people put out here almost seem like non sequiturs where the tone or the intent doesn't seem to have been picked up. Please make leeway for the fact that your grasp of the language is sometimes a bit rough.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-09-2013 at 11:21 AM..

Old 11-09-2013, 10:47 AM

37,122 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
If they eat Balot like us does that make us similar ? Do we have the same religion, customs, traditions , dance, cultural festivities etc . ? We are in Asia, how many times do I have to say this ? It is just but natural to have some similarities sometimes. But that doesn't mean we are more similar than those in Latin America.
European's staple food is Potato. Does that make them all the same ? Definitely not. I am sure Spanish culture is very different from
Dutch.

We do not eat Bugs. If there are some in one or 2 provinces in the Philippines, doesn't mean it is really our culture because they do not represent the whole country. Same thing as eating Dogs.

I am tired of arguing with you because we just keep on going in circles. So I am not going to argue with a clueless person like you who think you know everything when you do not because YOU ARE NOT A FILIPINO !!!! If there is anyone here who knows about our culture, it is me NOT You because it is my culture. Read our history and try to study hispanic culture for you to learn something.
Indonesia is also similar in the demeanor of the people (pretty damn friendly), the many foods including specific dishes that seem to variants of one another that people eat, basic intimate practices such as circumcision which is ridiculous in most parts of the world, the similarity in the language and the constructs that come from language, similarity in the overall level of development, similarity in the arch-conservatism often linked to religion that seems to play such a role in development, similarity in appearances and genetics, similarity in minority demographics, similarity in developmental history, similarity in much of the flora and fauna and climate, similarity in massive overpopulation in small island cities.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:37 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Indonesia is also similar in the demeanor of the people (pretty damn friendly), the many foods including specific dishes that seem to variants of one another that people eat, basic intimate practices such as circumcision which is ridiculous in most parts of the world, the similarity in the language and the constructs that come from language, similarity in the overall level of development, similarity in the arch-conservatism often linked to religion that seems to play such a role in development, similarity in appearances and genetics, similarity in minority demographics, similarity in developmental history, similarity in much of the flora and fauna and climate, similarity in massive overpopulation in small island cities.
I am not really sure what your point is.

Countries like the Philippines and Indonesia that are basically in the same archipelago, should have the same climate and species. Why is that remotely remarkable? Same with language and development due to the malay expansion. I also do not find their cuisines to be more similar than that between Spanish colonies and the Philippines. Philippines is more vinegar based with Afritada, and other Spanish type sauces while Indonesian food is typically spicier more like what would be found in Malaysia. You mention arch conservatism, and I have to tell you having lived for years in the Philippines, it is not that conservative. Yes it is catholic (again a major difference from Indonesia) but just look at how much more accepting of homosexuality they are.

What is somewhat remarkable is two countries in opposite hemispheres being so similar.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:10 PM

Pinar del Río - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-09-2013, 03:15 PM

Here is the connection between Louisiana and the Philippines. Louisiana was at one time subordinate to Mexico, Cuba and partvof the same colonial administrative units and was also a direct colony of Spain. Louisiana Territory region is very strongly Spanish and French and very Catholic. It's very much Latin and Creole. The oldest Fillipino settlement in what is now the USA was in Saint Malo, Louisiana going back to the 1700s. There may have been Fillipinos in lands now part of the USA even earlier. :

Saint Malo, Louisiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-09-2013, 10:55 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,652,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am not really sure what your point is.

Countries like the Philippines and Indonesia that are basically in the same archipelago, should have the same climate and species. Why is that remotely remarkable? Same with language and development due to the malay expansion. I also do not find their cuisines to be more similar than that between Spanish colonies and the Philippines. Philippines is more vinegar based with Afritada, and other Spanish type sauces while Indonesian food is typically spicier more like what would be found in Malaysia. You mention arch conservatism, and I have to tell you having lived for years in the Philippines, it is not that conservative. Yes it is catholic (again a major difference from Indonesia) but just look at how much more accepting of homosexuality they are.

What is somewhat remarkable is two countries in opposite hemispheres being so similar.
Well its just different, the way Muslim conservative see things compared to how Catholic see things... but i found the Philippines to be a tough place to live for Muslims, compared to Christians living in Indonesia. People in the Philippines are very conservative and religious, but doesn't mean they're not welcoming others.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:10 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
The Philippines isnt conservative. There are many openly gay celebrities, including some transexuals. It's not an issue. The Catholic church in the Philippines is conservative, but Filipinos just pick the rules they want to follow

Old 11-10-2013, 01:16 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,534 times
La Jota Dances is one of the dances introduced in the Philippines. So there's so many Jota version
Jota Manilena, Jota Pangasinan, Jota Moncada, Jota de Paragua (former name of Palawan specially the Cuyo Island), Jota Gumaguena etc. Philippine Jota used Bamboo castanets. Other Latin America they have their own version of Jotas.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia