Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 12:32 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I actually like his speech.

English and Spanish Speech to the Filipinos in 1920s

and Emilio Aguinaldo also speech in Spanish

according to the American that the General will talk to the Filipinos in Spanish
and that guy is speaking in English to the Filipinos.
Yes, it seems like Spanish was really the language before as Aguinaldo's speech was in Spanish not Tagalog.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:35 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,114,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Yes, it seems like Spanish was really the language before as Aguinaldo's speech was in Spanish not Tagalog.
Because Tagalog was introduced during 1939 I think as official and Aguinaldo's speech was in 1931.
The American guy explain in English first and then Aguinaldo translated it in Spanish.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:35 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Really interesting and good video. Bringing to light the truth about the Philippines:

Cultural History of the Philippines: Hispanic Philippines Than We Admit - YouTube
Yes this is a nice documentary about Hispanic Philippines that Filipinos should see to help them know their Hispanic identity. I have been showing this too to some people here who are on denial, yet it seems like they didn't even try to see it or maybe they did, but they are still insisting what they want to believe.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:56 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,322,706 times
Quote:
Yes this is a nice documentary about Hispanic Philippines that Filipinos should see to help them know their Hispanic identity. I have been showing this too to some people here who are on denial, yet it seems like they didn't even try to see it or maybe they did, but they are still insisting what they want to believe.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) The heads of the grossly ethnocentric, bias, bigoted, blinded and ignorant close minded folks in here should be falling off, as much as they're shaking them at anyone who does NOT advocate for their ridiculous notions. Lol!*¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The truth shall set them free one day....

I'll have to look for that book mentioned in the documentary. I'm a big Hispanophile and Francophile.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
This is a broadcast on Chavacano. I could understand virtually everything said in here. Most Hispanophones (Spanish speakers) would be able to understand it as well:

Awesome

Reina Sofía en Zamboanga, Filipinas (Noticias en Chavacano) - YouTube

Old 11-11-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) The heads of the grossly ethnocentric, bias, bigoted, blinded and ignorant close minded folks in here should be falling off, as much as they're shaking them at anyone who does NOT advocate for their ridiculous notions. Lol!*¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The truth shall set them free one day....

I'll have to look for that book mentioned in the documentary. I'm a big Hispanophile and Francophile.
Here is another broadcast with Chavacano although there is lots of language and code switching but when you see the words written out it's easy to grasp what's being said given the strong Spanish influence and base:

SPAIN?? NO!! ITS PHILIPPINES TV PATROL CHAVACANO - YouTube

Old 11-11-2013, 04:28 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,990 times
Quote:
Philippines was not really governed by Spain before. It was only in 1821 when Spain governed the Philippines.
Again, things were not that easy before. Even in Latin America, they didn't have many schools too. Just imagine in the 16th century to 19th century, things were not so advanced yet. They probably didn't even have many books etc. plus, there weren't many Spanish in the Philippines not the same as Latin America.
But Filipinos were more educated than any other Asians at that time. Even before America took over, there were already many educated Filipinos.

The British and American system were different because they were recent. They were already more advanced.
Asia is not a good comparison since most of Asia was poor and illiterate in the 1800s. If anything, the Philippines was the best educated among highly impoverished territories. For whatever reason the majority of Filipinos were never fluent in the Spanish language even if people like Quezon, Aguinaldo and Rizal used it as well as being the language of laws at that time.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:03 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,114,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Asia is not a good comparison since most of Asia was poor and illiterate in the 1800s. If anything, the Philippines was the best educated among highly impoverished territories. For whatever reason the majority of Filipinos were never fluent in the Spanish language even if people like Quezon, Aguinaldo and Rizal used it as well as being the language of laws at that time.
This is usually the accent of the Spanish Speaking Filipinos

I don't know how you compare them to any Spanish Speaking or how they sounds like
compare to other Spanish Speaking Countries. I guess some may not be fluent it's because they also
speak their native language and Spanish is just their 2nd language. Because they used their native language and then
Spanish so the tendency they still carry their accent and may sounds like they are not fluent like how Spanish Speak the language I guess.

Josh Santana is Filipino Singer who speak Spanish

^what I understood in Poquito means he speak little Spanish?

Delfina San Agustin de Gonzalez, A Filipina Actress

^She sounds Fluent to me? but I don't know I'm not Spanish Speaker.

Last edited by pinai; 11-11-2013 at 05:46 AM..

Old 11-11-2013, 08:07 AM

I'm referring to the masses. Yes, notable personalities could speak spanish otherwise they would not have been able to get anything important done during the spanish and early american administrations.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:50 PM

Right, it was the "official language" but the majority were still not fluent in Spanish - ie "the uneducated natives". Compulsory education was not adequately implemented across the archipelago and the literacy rates were actually quite suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia