Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 04:38 AM

41 posts, read 243,408 times

Advertisements

^^ Because during spanish times, native Filipinos were referred to as "Indios" by the Spaniards while a Filipino is a Spaniard born in the Philippines. In the Philippines there are 4 social classes: the Peninsulares (Spaniards born in Spain), the Insulares a.k.a Filipinos (Spaniards born in the Philippines), Mestizos (people of mixed Spanish-Chinese or Chinese-Filipino) and the Indios. It was only after independence from Spain that all people residing in the Philippines would be called Filipinos.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:58 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFox View Post
I wouldn't say that only Negritoes are indigenous to the Philippines. The aboriginal populations of Asia came in all shapes and sizes even while maintaining tropical adaptation in the form of dark skin. Hence aboriginal Austrialians and Aboriginal Indians both have straight hair and are as old as the "negritoes". Diversity of features in Asian populations is as ancient as the original populations coming out of Africa. African populations also have diversity in traits and even straight hair which is nothing but an adaptation to the environment. In fact, all across Africa there are populations with high cheek bones and "asian" eyes due to similar environmental adaptation. So the negritoes are not the only aborigines of Asia. The dark straight haired filippino is just as aboriginal as well. Unfortunately because Europeans went all over the planet sub categorizing people by features as the basis of racial types, you have this distinction between "negrito" and all other Asian populations as if they are two separate populations when they aren't.
All of what you said I've said in previous posts.

You failed to miss the point that I was talking about how Negritos and Aeta are the true indigenous populations of the Philippines. It was other different groups from the mainland came to the Philippines but the Negritos and Aeta were already there.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:19 AM

5,977 posts, read 13,117,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
I've travelled to countries all over Asia, but on a trip to the Philippines it really struck me how similar Filipino culture and mentality is more similar to Latin America than it is to Asia. (I guess 400 years of strict Spanish rule will do that to you.)

I've seen several threads about food, and last names and religion. I was expecting all this. But I wasn't expecting the nuances that i found.

Some unfortunate similarities:
-Philippines has a crime rate that is on par with most latin american countries, very high for an Asian country.
-The types and styles of crime are much more similar to latin american countries. Crime sindicates, schemes, etc. (even the style of kidnappings is the same)
-The mentality regarding birth control reminds me of Mexico 20-30 years ago.
-Both countries are used to exporting labor to other countries... in the case of the Philippines, it's all over the world, in the case of Mexico, it's just to the U.S.
- Here's one that I thought was most unfortunate: Social pressures prevent nimble and intelligent people from moving up, because any step up in socioeconomic strata equates helping the family a lot more. To the point that people who end up 'making it' have to cut off ties with many family members to live in peace.

Some nice similarities:
- No matter how poor we are, we figure out a way to make a joke and laugh about it.
- Mexicans are probably the biggest source of Mexican jokes, and I think Filipinos are the same about themselves. We have an ability to laugh at ourselves.
- We both have disparaging nicknames for our loves ones, and pay no mind to any emotional damage it could cause. (I guess that could be negative)
- We're slowly but finally developing a defined sense of national identity.
- We're very family oriented (but like I said above, that sometimes comes at a cost)
-Tamarind!! (Mexicans love it)
- We love a good party!

And some similarities that I am ambivalent about:
-Filipinas watch Mexican novelas (A national embarassment on behalf of Mexico if you ask me)

I know there's a lot of differences, but the similarities are so uncanny for the distance that separates the two countries, and I wonder if any of you who are filipino and have traveled to, or dealt with Mexico can draw on any more paralels.
You basically answered summed up everything with the bolded. Yes, Philippines is basically what you get when you fuse Hispanic with Asian culture.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:47 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,112,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierro View Post
^^ Because during spanish times, native Filipinos were referred to as "Indios" by the Spaniards while a Filipino is a Spaniard born in the Philippines. In the Philippines there are 4 social classes: the Peninsulares (Spaniards born in Spain), the Insulares a.k.a Filipinos (Spaniards born in the Philippines), Mestizos (people of mixed Spanish-Chinese or Chinese-Filipino) and the Indios. It was only after independence from Spain that all people residing in the Philippines would be called Filipinos.
Actually, a spaniard also refer to natives as Filipinos, anyone that was born in the Philippines not just the Insulares. All Filipinos, was actually a Spanish citizen before the independence. That's why the Insulares were still part of being a Filipino. I actually thought it was only referred to Spanish born in the
Philippines.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Actually, a spaniard also refer to natives as Filipinos, anyone that was born in the Philippines not just the Insulares. All Filipinos, was actually a Spanish citizen before the independence. That's why the Insulares were still part of being a Filipino. I actually thought it was only referred to Spanish born in the
Philippines.

+1

Old 01-18-2014, 01:42 PM

POLYTOPICITY:

Polytopicity - YouTube

Old 01-18-2014, 08:24 PM

83 posts, read 206,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
All of what you said I've said in previous posts.

You failed to miss the point that I was talking about how Negritos and Aeta are the true indigenous populations of the Philippines. It was other different groups from the mainland came to the Philippines but the Negritos and Aeta were already there.
I don't think I missed your point. The idea that the Philippines was populated by all curly haired short "negroes" before the arrival of "mainland" groups is a myth. All diversity in Asia came from aboriginal populations of all shapes and sizes. All of the migrants out of Africa weren't short people. All of the aboriginal populations weren't short with curly hair. To be aboriginal means to carry all the root or "founder' traits of a population. It means more diverse in features because aboriginals are the ORIGINS of those features. Populations have been migrating in and around the islands and the mainland since humans got to Asia. It wasn't a static situation. The only area where populations were isolate was the Andaman Islands and Australia. And as you can see the Australian aborigines have straight hair and blondism (meaning brown, red and gold hair).

That said I do agree that more migrants to the island since 1000AD, but that doesn't mean that the only original indigenous populations of the Philippines were negrito. Who were the indios then? Are they not indigenous as well? The Europeans called them the majority of the population when they first arrived there, not the negrito. What about the original Moros? Were they not indigenous as well?

Old 03-24-2014, 06:37 AM

334 posts, read 454,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
I've travelled to countries all over Asia, but on a trip to the Philippines it really struck me how similar Filipino culture and mentality is more similar to Latin America than it is to Asia. (I guess 400 years of strict Spanish rule will do that to you.)

I've seen several threads about food, and last names and religion. I was expecting all this. But I wasn't expecting the nuances that i found.

Some unfortunate similarities:
-Philippines has a crime rate that is on par with most latin american countries, very high for an Asian country.
-The types and styles of crime are much more similar to latin american countries. Crime sindicates, schemes, etc. (even the style of kidnappings is the same)
-The mentality regarding birth control reminds me of Mexico 20-30 years ago.
-Both countries are used to exporting labor to other countries... in the case of the Philippines, it's all over the world, in the case of Mexico, it's just to the U.S.
- Here's one that I thought was most unfortunate: Social pressures prevent nimble and intelligent people from moving up, because any step up in socioeconomic strata equates helping the family a lot more. To the point that people who end up 'making it' have to cut off ties with many family members to live in peace.

Some nice similarities:
- No matter how poor we are, we figure out a way to make a joke and laugh about it.
- Mexicans are probably the biggest source of Mexican jokes, and I think Filipinos are the same about themselves. We have an ability to laugh at ourselves.
- We both have disparaging nicknames for our loves ones, and pay no mind to any emotional damage it could cause. (I guess that could be negative)
- We're slowly but finally developing a defined sense of national identity.
- We're very family oriented (but like I said above, that sometimes comes at a cost)
-Tamarind!! (Mexicans love it)
- We love a good party!

And some similarities that I am ambivalent about:
-Filipinas watch Mexican novelas (A national embarassment on behalf of Mexico if you ask me)

I know there's a lot of differences, but the similarities are so uncanny for the distance that separates the two countries, and I wonder if any of you who are filipino and have traveled to, or dealt with Mexico can draw on any more paralels.
+1

Old 03-24-2014, 06:41 AM

334 posts, read 454,484 times
Filipino Cuban - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-24-2014, 07:05 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times
Even though the Phillippines is considered a part of Asia, it was colonized by Spanish settlers and therefore has some Spanish culture. It is very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia