Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2013, 09:24 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times

Advertisements

Wow. You learn something new everyday. And they were from Northern Samar, I can't wait to tell my Lola mamay.

When my Jewish father married my catholic stepmother in Bobon in the early 80s it was a big deal.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:25 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,594 times
Interesting. Also heard that there were many black African people that were brought to the Philippines by the Arabs, Portuguese, Spanish, and Chinese during ancient times and also especially during the Spanish colonial period.

I wonder where their descendants are today in the Philippines.

And also black African descent people and the negritos peoples in the Philippines are not the same. Negritos Filippinos genetically cluster with Asian peoples and are indigenous to the Asian continent and lands.

I am speaking of actual people of black/Negroid Sub Saharan African descent, in the Philippines.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:35 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
/\/\

Actually those schools were perceived to be a last minute giveaway to win the people's loyalty. Note they were established in the 1860s after rebellious sentiment had spread. In the 300 years prior, Spain had not bothered to provide education in an organized manner and left much of the work to the friars who did the reverse and propagated the local dialects instead.

The Wasserman and Dreyfus families are descended from Jews.
Philippines was not really governed by Spain before. It was only in 1821 when Spain governed the Philippines.
Again, things were not that easy before. Even in Latin America, they didn't have many schools too. Just imagine in the 16th century to 19th century, things were not so advanced yet. They probably didn't even have many books etc. plus, there weren't many Spanish in the Philippines not the same as Latin America.
But Filipinos were more educated than any other Asians at that time. Even before America took over, there were already many educated Filipinos.

The British and American system were different because they were recent. They were already more advanced.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:24 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
If I were you, I would just let them be. Noticed all they're doing is repeating the same things in different ways. None have yet to answer how they know more than the people who belong to those cultures. The only time that was even addressed by one of them, the responses were more like attacks and then some bizarre accusation of no one being able to understand another culture because we can only belong to one. Just read those responses again and you'll see how bizarre they truly are and all they're doing is just distracting from the main topic because they cannot back up what they're saying.

Now I will wait for more personal attacks from them.
Yes, there is no point because they only want to believe what they want and it is very obvious they want to make it look like Philippines as it is in Asia is not as hispanic as what Filipinos believed them to be. What is strange is that Non Asians are always the ones who see the hispanic culture in the Philippines. They probably don't want to accept that there is a Hispanic country in Asia.

Yes, they haven't really answered you Gentoo. They commented on my post but not on yours and I am also waiting for them to answer you.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 11-10-2013 at 10:33 PM..

Old 11-10-2013, 11:11 PM

Interesting. This happens to mention Philippines. Philippines was like a Spanish penal colony almost.
http://www.jpanafrican.com/docs/vol2...nandRacism.pdf

Old 11-10-2013, 11:14 PM

This one also makes mention of Philippines:

http://www.jpanafrican.com/docs/vol5no5/5.5Mexican.pdf

Old 11-10-2013, 11:15 PM

Philippines Jews:

Tracing the Tribe: The Jewish Genealogy Blog: Philippines: Israel and a much older connection

Old 11-10-2013, 11:17 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
For goodness sake you have a separatist, many Filipinos have negative feeling towards Muslim more than Indonesian did.

Well its still a very religious place, so what? My country is religious too and i agree that you are more tolerable. My point is that to call a religious place liberal, is silly, but yes its a very open and tolerant place.
It's not even a religious conflict, because if it were, then the Christians would be trying to convert the Muslims and the Muslims would be trying to convert the Christians, but that's not happening. It's about land/ethnicity. The Moros lived there first, then Christian immigrants from the North started flooding in. Also, the Muslim region is the poorest part of the Philippines, so they resent the government, which mainly caters to the Manila region. But even non-Muslim regions hate that everything is centered around Manila while all the other regions are mostly poor.

Catholic Filipinos dont care what religion you are. They dont try to convert anyone. Even in the Catholic festival "Flores de Mayo" which is held every May throughout the Philippines, there is a built-in role for Muslims to participate. Part of the festival is the "Santacruzan" pageant, it's a procession where girls dress up and parade around town. One of the characters is "Reyna Moor"

"Reyna Mora (Queen Moor) - represents Muslim Filipinos, owing to Mary's status in Islam and mention in the Qur'an. Islam arrived in the Philippines two centuries before Christianity and today is the second-largest religion in the islands."

Whether Muslims actually participate or not, I don't know, but it shows that at least the Catholic side doesn't mind

Old 11-11-2013, 12:14 AM

Really interesting and good video. Bringing to light the truth about the Philippines:

Cultural History of the Philippines: Hispanic Philippines Than We Admit - YouTube

Old 11-11-2013, 12:23 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,112,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
At that time, it was hard to reach the whole country since we are an archipelago. Even just to go to another town would probably take so long. Also, the Spanish were not given enough time to cover the whole country since 1860 because of the revolution in 1898.

Manuel L. Quezon attended public school from Primary to Highschool. Yes he went to Law school but what he was justifying in his speech before, that the Black Propaganda about Spain not educating Filipinos is not true because he was a product of one of those public schools that Spain built in the Philippines.
I actually like his speech.

English and Spanish Speech to the Filipinos in 1920s

and Emilio Aguinaldo also speech in Spanish

according to the American that the General will talk to the Filipinos in Spanish
and that guy is speaking in English to the Filipinos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia