Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 07:09 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,655,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Oh for some reason I thought the Sundanese were from east of Lombok, my mistake.
Haha they're in Java, probably mistaken them since their ethnic's name are named after the lesser sunda islands in Nusa Tenggara islands. This is probably because they used to rule the islands when they're their own independent kingdom. But the Greater Sunda Islands actually are Java itself along with the other larger islands nearby.

Sunda Strait sea that divides Sumatra and Java also are named after them.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:22 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Haha they're in Java, probably mistaken them since their ethnic's name are named after the lesser sunda islands in Nusa Tenggara islands. This is probably because they used to rule the islands when they're their own independent kingdom. But the Greater Sunda Islands actually are Java itself along with the other larger islands nearby.

Sunda Strait sea that divides Sumatra and Java also are named after them.
Ah yes, good to know that!

Old 04-12-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
Malay of Javanese descent might they look like Javanese,
it's like you want to say Susilo Bambang yudohyono (Javanese) or Taufik Hidayat (Sundanese) looks like malay people in Malaysian ? .
I think in Malay in malaysia in dilute with other races. that's all my comments, nothing more or less.
I do not care about human genes, but here I saw a post by Ezio " Karafet Genetic ", it turns javanese / Sundanese / Dayak / malay Sumatran people has the same genetic, only the Sumatran Malay and Dayak sprinkled little from hmong genes, while Malay Malaysia has the same genes with bataknese . if there Balinese gene karafet I am sure that they have the same genes as Javanese.

Genetic people Javanese / Sundanese / Malay Sumatra / Borneo Dayak ,genetic characteristic that is common in people in mainland southeast asia .
Taufik Hidayat does not represent how average Sundanese look... or SBY representing Javanese as in general..

Daftar tokoh Sunda - Wikipedia bahasa Indonesia, ensiklopedia bebas

Old 04-12-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Cambodians are not as uniformly open-eyed as some claim. Some have fairly narrow eyes, actually, even with epicanthic folds. They definitely aren't like a lot of pure Filipinos in that regard. I think a lot of Indonesian Muslims look like this too.

Yes, you often see people who look very Chinese wearing hijab or the Malay-style cap. There are some Chinese Muslims but not many.
Yes actually you are right haha:

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...77.hsWCsYSzp0U

Well what can you say, they're related afterall, it also explained a lot about their cultural link.

Yes sometimes i do wonder why Malaysian Malays can have eyes so slit compared to Sumatrans... i always thought that it must be because of their previous Siam inhabitant but apart from that, apparently other from being more Batak (who also have somewhat slit eyes) they've married loads of Chinese..

Old 04-12-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Yes actually you are right haha:

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...77.hsWCsYSzp0U

Well what can you say, they're related afterall, it also explained a lot about their cultural link.

Yes sometimes i do wonder why Malaysian Malays can have eyes so slit compared to Sumatrans... i always thought that it must be because of their previous Siam inhabitant but apart from that, apparently other from being more Batak (who also have somewhat slit eyes) they've married loads of Chinese..
Yes, a lot of Cambodians have very mainland Asiatic features, sometimes just like Chinese or something but darker. Like I've said, I think a lot of them can pass for S.Chinese and vice versa. Some Khmer though look more distinctly Khmer. There's a little bit of Indian in there too.

I'd say unacknowledged Chinese admixture. Considering Chinese immigrated to Malaysia early and at one point made up nearly HALF the population of British Malaya. Probably most mixed children identified more as Peranakan/Baba, while a few would be raised as pure Malays, especially being Muslim. I'm sure the same occurs in Indonesia.

The Javanese too often have eyes like that.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Yes, a lot of Cambodians have very mainland Asiatic features, sometimes just like Chinese or something but darker. Like I've said, I think a lot of them can pass for S.Chinese and vice versa. Some Khmer though look more distinctly Khmer. There's a little bit of Indian in there too.

I'd say unacknowledged Chinese admixture. Considering Chinese immigrated to Malaysia early and at one point made up nearly HALF the population of British Malaya. Probably most mixed children identified more as Peranakan/Baba, while a few would be raised as pure Malays, especially being Muslim. I'm sure the same occurs in Indonesia.

The Javanese too often have eyes like that.
Not a lot Javanese actually... slit eyes are kinda uncommon in Javanese people's general look can be a bit small but definitely not Chinese slit, but yes quiet some of them in Jakarta actually or some other major cities, but somehow they still didn't look like those Malays of Chinese descent i saw. Chinese Indonesians on the other hand also quiet often have big eyes and Malaysian (also Singaporean) Chinese, looks more pure compared to Indonesian counterpart.

Chinese people are never significant population in Indonesia, so that explain it.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:32 AM

72 posts, read 156,309 times
Quote:
Not a lot Javanese actually... slit eyes are kinda uncommon in Javanese people's general look can be a bit small but definitely not Chinese slit, but yes quiet some of them in Jakarta actually or some other major cities, but somehow they still didn't look like those Malays of Chinese descent i saw. Chinese Indonesians on the other hand also quiet often have big eyes and Malaysian (also Singaporean) Chinese, looks more pure compared to Indonesian counterpart.

Chinese people are never significant population in Indonesia, so that explain it.
I live in Malang. I have some neighbors who look like full Vietnamese but they aren't from rich families.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:34 AM

72 posts, read 156,309 times
Quote:
Oh for some reason I thought the Sundanese were from east of Lombok, my mistake.
People from east of Lombok still look West Indonesian LOL. Actually you meant people from East Nusa Tenggara.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Hmmm...so people like Suharto are quite obviously Chinese and not pure Javanese I suppose? Definitely it seems having 'slitty' eyes is common among Indos I meet here, but many are part Chinese. Not northern Chinese/Korean/Mongolian, but like S.Chinese.

Yes, Chinese in Malaysia/Singapore didn't mix as much. You have Peranakan like my grandmother. Even among 'pure' Chinese, however, S.Chinese have some Austronesian admixture anyway but vary a lot from family to family, person to person and also within language groups. Hakka and Teochew are a bit more northern, Hokkien vary, Cantonese maybe more southern. I've noticed actually Hainanese seem the most 'southern' of all.

I think Indonesia actually has a lot more 'Peranakan' than Malaysia but they're less known since they just consider themselves Indonesian. Some are Christian, the ones who are Muslim don't identify as Chinese as much it seems. Unlike in Malaysia though it seems few are Buddhist.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhamsingosari View Post
People from east of Lombok still look West Indonesian LOL. Actually you meant people from East Nusa Tenggara.
Well I guess like Timor or Flores, where the Melanesian/Australoid/negrito-esque look creeps in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia