Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 08:45 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,655,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Hmmm...so people like Suharto are quite obviously Chinese and not pure Javanese I suppose? Definitely it seems having 'slitty' eyes is common among Indos I meet here, but many are part Chinese. Not northern Chinese/Korean/Mongolian, but like S.Chinese.

Yes, Chinese in Malaysia/Singapore didn't mix as much. You have Peranakan like my grandmother. Even among 'pure' Chinese, however, S.Chinese have some Austronesian admixture anyway but vary a lot from family to family, person to person and also within language groups. Hakka and Teochew are a bit more northern, Hokkien vary, Cantonese maybe more southern. I've noticed actually Hainanese seem the most 'southern' of all.

I think Indonesia actually has a lot more 'Peranakan' than Malaysia but they're less known since they just consider themselves Indonesian. Some are Christian, the ones who are Muslim don't identify as Chinese as much it seems. Unlike in Malaysia though it seems few are Buddhist.
Interesting never knew south and north chinese have different look apart from culture.

Yes Muslims mix sometimes dont identify themself as chinese but most did anyway, but if they're half then they would say what they are. Yeah unlike the peranakans of the strait, indonesian peranakan are into christianity rather than buddhism or confucianism, but there is some quiet prominent taoist peranakan community which we call "cina benteng" in tangerang, culturally very chinese compared to the rest in java.

Chinese who are into culture usually are adherent to buddhism or folk religion, more common in parts of sumatra and east borneo.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:47 AM

72 posts, read 156,309 times
Is she East Asian-looking or not? She is 100% Javanese from my province in East Java.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgvOfVxCAAAW2cX.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bh8G8z4CMAE5m4q.jpg

http://kkcdn-static.kaskus.co.id/ima...0331071025.jpg

Old 04-12-2014, 08:51 AM

^xtremely rare for javanese, it seem that javanese can also be as fair as sundanese haha, she must use a lot of skin bleachers.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:51 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Interesting never knew south and north chinese have different look apart from culture.

Yes Muslims mix sometimes dont identify themself as chinese but most did anyway, but if they're half then they would say what they are. Yeah unlike the peranakans of the strait, indonesian peranakan are into christianity rather than buddhism or confucianism, but there is some quiet prominent taoist peranakan community which we call "cina benteng" in tangerang, culturally very chinese compared to the rest in java.

Chinese who are into culture usually are adherent to buddhism or folk religion, more common in parts of sumatra and east borneo.
Yes, China is a huge country (the size of the US, including Alaska) so naturally people vary from region to region. The 'Han' ethnic group, like all ethnic group, is a complex mix of genetics/phenotypes. The far north has Mongol/Manchu, maybe even Korean/Siberian influence, the south has Austronesian, Austro-Asiatic, Tai-Kadai etc...Hmong-Mien (or the ancestors of those language groups). The stereotype is northerners are taller, paler, smaller eyes, southerners shorter, darker, larger eyes, 'double' eyelids.

A classic 'northern' look:

http://www.hnsc.com.cn/news/updata/p...5161695957.jpg

Bolo Yeung has more classic southern features. You'd be hard-pressed to find a native of Beijing like him, more likely Hanoi:

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/images...1a46d89604.jpg

Old 04-12-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhamsingosari View Post
Looks typical Chinese but could have lightened her skin too.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:00 AM

72 posts, read 156,309 times
Quote:
^xtremely rare for javanese, it seem that javanese can also be as fair as sundanese haha, she must use a lot of skin bleachers.
Please don't be ignorant. Her look among Javanese is not as rare as you thought. Her complexion is still common among Javanese actually. Although most Javanese are darker than her. I don't know she uses skin whitening or not but it's not impossible for Javanese to naturally have that skin tone.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhamsingosari View Post
Please don't be ignorant. Her look among Javanese is not as rare as you thought. Her complexion is still common among Javanese actually. Although most Javanese are darker than her. I don't know she uses skin whitening or not but it's not impossible for Javanese to naturally have that skin tone.
How do you know she doesn't have any Chinese ancestry?

Old 04-12-2014, 09:04 AM

^^well sorry for saying that, she just dont fell as true javanese beauty in my category.. I've met much more prettier Javanese who doesnt care about having fair skin, the one you posted she dont represent how overwhelming javanese look.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
^^well sorry for saying that, she just dont fell as true javanese beauty in my category.. I've met much more prettier Javanese who doesnt care about having fair skin, the one you posted she dont represent how overwhelming javanese look.
No. She's cute (how old is she though, looks like a teenager?), and is going for that very kawaii look...

BTW do you think it's true Austronesian women are bustier than mainland Asians?

Old 04-12-2014, 09:11 AM

318 posts, read 639,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
How do you know she doesn't have any Chinese ancestry?
If she was Thai, there would probably be a 99 percent chance that she has some Chinese in her. But Indonesia is not as Chinese as Thailand is percentage wise, so its 50/50 on whether or not she has Chinese ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia