Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 02:15 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times

Advertisements

Btw so it's suggesting Khmers are very similar to Austronesians?

Old 04-07-2014, 02:36 AM

45 posts, read 138,658 times
It shows that Cambodians and Malaysians are very similar and overlap genetically. I'm not sure about 'Austronesian' as that is a linguistic term and I would expect a Samoan, a Maori, or a Melanesian to have significant differences despite speaking an Austronesian language.

I agree with this map more-or-less. It does a good job of illustrating Han Chinese genetic range, the relative isolation of Japanese, the continuity of Asians from North to South, Vietnamese as a bridge from Southeast Asia to East Asia (Notice the empty gap between the two, who else could fit there?)

Old 04-07-2014, 03:50 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,655,188 times
It doesn't surprise me at all, since historically Malaysia was more khmer-siamese rather than Malays, the Malays came later from Sumatra after the Srivijayan conquest, but i suspect their number probably didn't fully dominate the peninsula but certainly quiet large enough and probably they've been intebreeding with each other so they may ressemble those in Sumatra, so the Malays of Sumatra are probably more pure Melayu (in another word Austronesians) than those in Malaysia. In Malaysia, the name Melayu is brought by the Srivijayan to almost all the people it belongs within its kingdom, so there was assimilation between the local and Malays with that name. Kelantanese and Terenganu people is not really Malay if i must say too, they look more like the kins in the north rather than those in Sumatra.

What i find it particularly interesting is that the Batak people are closer to the Malays of Malaysia than the real Malays of Sumatra itself.

Of course this might be a misunderstanding since in Malaysia the word "Malay" is for everyone who are Muslims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
When was Buddhism introduced to Indonesia?
Buddhism in Indonesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Goshio22; 04-07-2014 at 04:08 AM..

Old 04-07-2014, 09:46 AM

55 posts, read 138,812 times
Dear Enzio;

Based on the dot map you posted above, you can see that less than half of the Thai dots match Chinese dots, the rest of the Thai dots match...Filipino dots or lie all the way out further This map again proves your Austronesian genes. Han Southern Chinese people in general are shorter, tanner, double lids, you know the reason why southern chinese don't look the same as northern chinese From what I read, note to mention that there are 14 million Han Chinese ethnic in Thailand AND 40% of Thai people claimed to have Han Chinese heritage, now you know who contributes to the matching of the Thai dots and the Chinese dots .

PS: lol, why it made a new post when I was just trying to edit my previous post?

Last edited by eugene_allen; 04-07-2014 at 09:58 AM..

Old 04-07-2014, 06:31 PM

Interesting, yeah I've always thought the Khmer looked a bit like Malay, especially the skin pigmentation, although they still look noticeably different in many cases, slightly more northern if you like. Like you say it was sort of part of the same cultural sphere/kingdom.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:17 PM

72 posts, read 156,259 times
Quote:
Some natives of Southern Thailand
Javanese
Malay/native Filipinos
Khmer
Taiwanese aborigine (unmixed)/Dayak/Iban
Lowland Lao
Central Thai
Vietnamese
Southern Chinese and rural Chinese/Tibetan/Karen/Hmong
Northern/Central Chinese (urban)/Korean/Mongolian
Japanese/Evenki/Nivikh/Yakut/Buryat/Ainu/Uyghur/Kazakh
I think Han Chinese are lighter than Uyghurs. I also think ethnic Malays and most native Filipinos are lighter than Khmers. Khmer people are as dark as Javanese and Balinese.

Last edited by ilhamsingosari; 04-08-2014 at 11:47 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhamsingosari View Post
I think Han Chinese are lighter than Uyghurs. I also think ethnic Malays and most native Filipinos are lighter than Khmers. Khmer people are as dark as Javanese and Balinese.
I haven't been to Cambodia but I've been to Malaysia many times and am familiar with how they look. They vary a lot, I think they're genetically quite heterogeneous, with Chinese, Arab, Indian, even native mixture. Some are dark, some (especially the women) pretty pale. Of course skin whitening also comes into play.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I haven't been to Cambodia but I've been to Malaysia many times and am familiar with how they look. They vary a lot, I think they're genetically quite heterogeneous, with Chinese, Arab, Indian, even native mixture. Some are dark, some (especially the women) pretty pale. Of course skin whitening also comes into play.
Most Southeast Asians naturally have light brown skin tone, not too light or too dark. Some have very dark brown skin usually because of sun exposure. If you look at Southeast Asian little kids between 3-5 years old, most of them have light brown skin.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhamsingosari View Post
Most Southeast Asians naturally have light brown skin tone, not too light or too dark. Some have very dark brown skin usually because of sun exposure. If you look at Southeast Asian little kids between 3-5 years old, most of them have light brown skin.
Most Malays seem to have medium to light brown skin, some darker than others. I think those with more ancient lineage (some of the more native orang asli for instance) have darker skin. I've met some very dark people in Malaysia and southern Thailand.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Most Malays seem to have medium to light brown skin, some darker than others. I think those with more ancient lineage (some of the more native orang asli for instance) have darker skin. I've met some very dark people in Malaysia and southern Thailand.
Yeah, by light brown skin I mean medium brown and olive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia