Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 06:56 PM

653 posts, read 743,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Are you single or married if I may ask? Are you a native born Singaporean?

Cos those are deal breakers. Singapore just fit in to my criteria when I was single.
Third-generation native-born Singaporean at birth, single. What about you? You have a family right? Were you concerned about your children's stress level? how is Phoenix by comparision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 11:53 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Third-generation native-born Singaporean at birth, single. What about you? You have a family right? Were you concerned about your children's stress level? how is Phoenix by comparision?
Yes, I do have a family living with me here in the US.

This is off topic but I'd love to answer your question. You can unwrap the spoiler below.

Spoiler
Phoenix (like most of the US cities) is in contrast to Singapore. Phoenix is a spread-out city while Singapore is very compact, hence we drive here a lot. Like last time, i went out just to buy a soy sauce in a supermarket where I can actually walk lol. Though there is a small network of public transportation, it is only perceived as the transport for the poor and maybe the ghettos and you don't wanna take chance getting into one of those buses. Phoenix is NOT a walkable city unlike Singapore.

As for the cost, spacious landed house (with private pool and big backyard) and Mid range SUV is very easy to own in Phoenix. Food in Singapore is cheaper but servings in the US is much bigger. Gas price and electricity is much cheaper in Phoenix. Basically, with the same amount of money, there are more personal amenities you can enjoy right in your own house here in Phx. Americans are the richest middle class in the world probably due to abundant energy and oil resources.

I believe that Singapore educated kids are more academically inclined than American educated kids. I don't think there is PSLE equivalent here in the US (I may be wrong though). But US education system is more accepting unlike in Singapore, where most public schools have limited slots. And yeah, the stress level for kids (also for parents) is much lesser in the US. Access to good US tertiary schools gives the American the advantage.

Working environment here is way more lax than SG. People work literally from 9 to 5. I was working from Punggol to Yishun and it took me almost 1 hour to reach my office (for 8 miles). Here, I live literally behind the mountain, 20 miles away from office and it only took me 15-30 mins drive to work.

People in Phoenix (and probably in the entire US) are very service oriented. People are friendlier but the sencerity, is another thing. Singaporeans are more direct to the point and business as usual which is uncomfy most of the time.

Peace and order in Singapore is one of the best in the world, Phoenix can only aim for that. You should know the good and bad areas in Phoenix, peace and order varies from neighborhood to neighborhood.

There are 4 months in the summer where temperature gets really really hot in Phoenix (about 100-115'F), something that I haven't yet come across. But I hope I'll be fine. Today is one one perfect weather, now it is about dry 90'F.

Last week, we made a road trip to the North of Arizona and I was breathtakingly impressed by its natural wonders. The red rocks, the Grand Canyon, the greenery, the alps...in just 4-5 hours drive.

I can go on and on. Basically my life is now totally different from what life I had in SG. Before I even come here, it was a big decision of getting out of my comfort zone (SG). I can't say it was a good decision but I know I have to move on. Singapore is one of the nicest countries I've been but living there is no longer an option for me.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:24 PM

29 posts, read 17,234 times
Because of the infrastructure the limeys left behind. And people say colonialism was evil . . .

Old 03-31-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticallyConscious View Post
Because of the infrastructure the limeys left behind. And people say colonialism was evil . . .
Is this a joke? under British rule, my grandparents and parents, and most non-whites, lived in wooden huts with no access to running water, no electricity, no toilets; my father studied at a community school set up by local businessmen because the British did not provide public education to non-whites.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Yes, I do have a family living with me here in the US.

This is off topic but I'd love to answer your question. You can unwrap the spoiler below.

Spoiler
Phoenix (like most of the US cities) is in contrast to Singapore. Phoenix is a spread-out city while Singapore is very compact, hence we drive here a lot. Like last time, i went out just to buy a soy sauce in a supermarket where I can actually walk lol. Though there is a small network of public transportation, it is only perceived as the transport for the poor and maybe the ghettos and you don't wanna take chance getting into one of those buses. Phoenix is NOT a walkable city unlike Singapore.

As for the cost, spacious landed house (with private pool and big backyard) and Mid range SUV is very easy to own in Phoenix. Food in Singapore is cheaper but servings in the US is much bigger. Gas price and electricity is much cheaper in Phoenix. Basically, with the same amount of money, there are more personal amenities you can enjoy right in your own house here in Phx. Americans are the richest middle class in the world probably due to abundant energy and oil resources.

I believe that Singapore educated kids are more academically inclined than American educated kids. I don't think there is PSLE equivalent here in the US (I may be wrong though). But US education system is more accepting unlike in Singapore, where most public schools have limited slots. And yeah, the stress level for kids (also for parents) is much lesser in the US. Access to good US tertiary schools gives the American the advantage.

Working environment here is way more lax than SG. People work literally from 9 to 5. I was working from Punggol to Yishun and it took me almost 1 hour to reach my office (for 8 miles). Here, I live literally behind the mountain, 20 miles away from office and it only took me 15-30 mins drive to work.

People in Phoenix (and probably in the entire US) are very service oriented. People are friendlier but the sencerity, is another thing. Singaporeans are more direct to the point and business as usual which is uncomfy most of the time.

Peace and order in Singapore is one of the best in the world, Phoenix can only aim for that. You should know the good and bad areas in Phoenix, peace and order varies from neighborhood to neighborhood.

There are 4 months in the summer where temperature gets really really hot in Phoenix (about 100-115'F), something that I haven't yet come across. But I hope I'll be fine. Today is one one perfect weather, now it is about dry 90'F.

Last week, we made a road trip to the North of Arizona and I was breathtakingly impressed by its natural wonders. The red rocks, the Grand Canyon, the greenery, the alps...in just 4-5 hours drive.

I can go on and on. Basically my life is now totally different from what life I had in SG. Before I even come here, it was a big decision of getting out of my comfort zone (SG). I can't say it was a good decision but I know I have to move on. Singapore is one of the nicest countries I've been but living there is no longer an option for me.
Very good description, I would like to live in Phoenix at some time.

Reference to your last sentence, was concern for your children's stress level a factor in moving - or did your company sent you to wherever they wanted you to go?

Old 04-01-2015, 05:46 AM

38 posts, read 33,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFox View Post
You have to understand that the whole basis of the modern corporate globalist Euro Anglo American combine is based on immigration. Singapore is a perfect example of how they did this in South Asia.
They carved out a location on the tip of the Malay peninsula for a sea trading port for the Dutch and British East Asian companies. Then they imported workers from China and other parts of Asia.
Then they created a fake 'identity' for these people based on this corporate nation worker state, which always plays off the idea of people 'getting ahead' by working hard for the company.
On top of it all they impose a dictator to keep the people in check. Immigration is a tool of the corporate colonist as it allows them to play one group off on another through fake made up 'ethnic' differences and previously fake made up racial categories.
Then they put one or a few other group on a pedestal and use them to impose the rules on the rest. Indonesia was a text book example of this and Hawaii another. The plantations are where they perfected the practice from using Africans in America to Chinese in South Asia or Filipinos and other mainland Asians in the pacific.
Then as agricultural trade gave way to industrial trade they practiced it in corporations and industry. And because the people have no alternative to the globalist corporate system of banks and industry still primarily run by the West, they have no choice but to 'play the game' in order to get ahead...... whether it be working as a sex worker for European tourists, a migrant construction worker, maid, nanny and laborer in Asia and Arabia, or a 'white collar' migrant worker, it is all the same thing.
You are right, Singapore has copied the globalisation from Euro Anglo American corporate giants and used it for the benefit of the one percent at the expense of the man on the street, the 99 percent.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:07 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
A tiny nation with no oil or other mineral resources, yet somehow Singapore is wealthy? How did they do it?
who said they are wealthy? Their bread and butter remains being an entrepot. Unlike Switzerland, they make almost nothing on their own and really have no brand in terms of production. They are a place to park and administer things.

But wealthy? No. But increasingly a place for the wealthy.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
who said they are wealthy? Their bread and butter remains being an entrepot. Unlike Switzerland, they make almost nothing on their own and really have no brand in terms of production. They are a place to park and administer things.

But wealthy? No. But increasingly a place for the wealthy.
Oil refining (the crude oil is shipped over from elsewhere) and chemical processing.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:21 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Very good description, I would like to live in Phoenix at some time.

Reference to your last sentence, was concern for your children's stress level a factor in moving - or did your company sent you to wherever they wanted you to go?
Not really, I simply want a new and refreshing environment. I can stay longer in the US but it could/couldn't be permanent. I am still open to any other opportunities that may arise.

So what keeps you staying in Singapore? Singapore is good for single people, take advantage of your flexibility to give you a head-start on the rising labor competition

Old 04-02-2015, 01:58 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
tiger: both these industries are TINY relative to the biggies: trade, private banking, real estate for foreign expats, and a most amount in R&D.

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia