Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 10:00 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
I really don't think Singapore is exceptionally wealthy, I think people are often just comparing apples to oranges by comparing Singapore, which is essentially a city, to other countries. Many cities are rich--if you list cities by Per-capita GDP, singapore wouldn't even crack the top 20. Macau, Seattle(Washington), Portland(Oregon), Calgary(Canada), etc. all have higher per-capita GDP. By total size of economy places like New York, Tokyo, London, Paris also have GDPs 4 times higher than Singapore's.
That's a good point actually. Likewise, people often say that Singapore's inequality is really bad, which isn't fair either as cities are always more unequal. I bet the inequality in New York, Paris, or London is wayyyyyyyyyyyy worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 11:34 AM

64 posts, read 84,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
That's a good point actually. Likewise, people often say that Singapore's inequality is really bad, which isn't fair either as cities are always more unequal. I bet the inequality in New York, Paris, or London is wayyyyyyyyyyyy worse.
On a whole. USA is more equal than Singapore. But NYC is more unequal compared to Singapore.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:39 AM

64 posts, read 84,160 times
Quote:
I really don't think Singapore is exceptionally wealthy, I think people are often just comparing apples to oranges by comparing Singapore, which is essentially a city, to other countries. Many cities are rich--if you list cities by Per-capita GDP, singapore wouldn't even crack the top 20. Macau, Seattle(Washington), Portland(Oregon), Calgary(Canada), etc. all have higher per-capita GDP. By total size of economy places like New York, Tokyo, London, Paris also have GDPs 4 times higher than Singapore's.

Singapore is well off, has great infrastructure, and a strong economy (and great food :-)), and the economy has grown quickly. it also stands out as one of the wealthiest cities in the region.

Note: Of course GDP is a tricky measure of a city's wealth. One large company or a couple billionaires move into a small city and that can have a large effect on GDP without necessarily effecting the average quality of life all that much, but I suppose it is the best metric we have for doing this comparison.
Dun measure the amount of GDP from each city....measure the amount of ultra high net worth millionaires in each city.

Singapore rank third in place after London and Tokyo.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:21 AM

38 posts, read 33,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
A lot of people living in Singapore are guest workers from other Asian nations. They don't seem to be faring as well as the citizens.

Singapore
On the contrary, many foreign workers in Singapore, especially the white collar Indian, Filipino, China foreign workers are living in upscale private condominiums, while the older local professionals being squeezed out by these new comers are working as low end jobs like security guards, taxi drivers, waiters, or tissue paper peddlers. This happen after the floodgates were open to foreigners in past few years.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:29 AM

38 posts, read 33,617 times
Quote:
Agree. A large country with very successful cities will not have good statistics when they average it out with the hinterland. Singapore do not have a hinterland. The authorities know about this and they will take pains to avoid city to city comparisons. Instead, they like to use country to small city state comparison, knowing that this will put them in good light.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:47 PM

440 posts, read 662,139 times
Singapore is definitely on par with the UK, US, Japan and Australia on quality of life. But it does not have the great level of social welfare provided in European countries, Canada and Australia. Tax rate is much lower in Singapore, the expectation of having a lot of social welfare is therefore less expected.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:41 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,607 times
Today marks the start of a new era for my
Country Singapore as Lee Kuan Yew is cremated and his final journey is done .

Old 03-28-2015, 07:44 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
You may have a point there. In our recent visit to that region (Dec 2014), my husband pointed out something to me that gave me pause. He said he didn't see any smile from Singaporeans we encountered. Every where we went, everyone looked so unhappy and tense, even the taxi drivers looked grumpy.

By contract, Indonesians, whose country is less wealthy and usually suffers ridicules from its more wealthy neighbors, looked much happier as a whole. They smiled a lot and went about their daily life in a happy go lucky sort of attitude.
Thanks for seeing what I mentioned ..it is in a way sad though the country is well off but the people are not happy as a whole..

Honestly I lived in Singapore all my life and I think life was the best in the 1900s to mid 2000s. After that life have become not so happy in a sense

Old 03-29-2015, 07:50 AM

83 posts, read 206,163 times
You have to understand that the whole basis of the modern corporate globalist Euro Anglo American combine is based on immigration. Singapore is a perfect example of how they did this in South Asia. They carved out a location on the tip of the Malay peninsula for a sea trading port for the Dutch and British East Asian companies. Then they imported workers from China and other parts of Asia. Then they created a fake 'identity' for these people based on this corporate nation worker state, which always plays off the idea of people 'getting ahead' by working hard for the company. On top of it all they impose a dictator to keep the people in check. Immigration is a tool of the corporate colonist as it allows them to play one group off on another through fake made up 'ethnic' differences and previously fake made up racial categories. Then they put one or a few other group on a pedestal and use them to impose the rules on the rest. Indonesia was a text book example of this and Hawaii another. The plantations are where they perfected the practice from using Africans in America to Chinese in South Asia or Filipinos and other mainland Asians in the pacific. Then as agricultural trade gave way to industrial trade they practiced it in corporations and industry. And because the people have no alternative to the globalist corporate system of banks and industry still primarily run by the West, they have no choice but to 'play the game' in order to get ahead...... whether it be working as a sex worker for European tourists, a migrant construction worker, maid, nanny and laborer in Asia and Arabia, or a 'white collar' migrant worker, it is all the same thing.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:10 AM

653 posts, read 743,521 times
Quote:

Singapore is well off, has great infrastructure, and a strong economy (and great food :-)), and the economy has grown quickly. it also stands out as one of the wealthiest cities in the region.

Note: Of course GDP is a tricky measure of a city's wealth. One large company or a couple billionaires move into a small city and that can have a large effect on GDP without necessarily effecting the average quality of life all that much, but I suppose it is the best metric we have for doing this comparison.
Do you think Singapore is a unusual one-off case or is an example of how small city-states tend to thrive economically?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia