Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:02 PM

155 posts, read 165,438 times

Advertisements

If someone is born in Taiwan, would his nationality be Chinese? (People´s republic of China)

I have seen that there is a passport emitted by Republic of China serving as Taiwan´s passport, but I don´t know if it is recognized

Old 05-13-2015, 09:23 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichig View Post
If someone is born in Taiwan, would his nationality be Chinese? (People´s republic of China)

I have seen that there is a passport emitted by Republic of China serving as Taiwan´s passport, but I don´t know if it is recognized
There is a Republic of China passport, and is an acceptable travel document in most countries. It even has visa-free status to travel to the US, Canada, UK, Schengen, etc. A few countries will not stamp a visa there but place the visa on a separate piece of paper. The most notable exception is the PRC, in which case, citizens from Taiwan will need a Travel Permit of Taiwanese residents rather than the ROC passport.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:01 AM

440 posts, read 661,933 times
Nationality in Taiwan is not derived by birth there, but mainly by descent.
The official nationality of most people in Taiwan according to the government there is "Republic of China" in both Chinese and English. "Republic of China" is printed as the nationality on the Republic of China passports. The code of issuing state of this passport is TWN, denoting Taiwan, it can be used to travel to most countries in the world, with the main exception of Mainland China and Hong Kong.

The People's Republic of China government considers the Republic of China no longer exist after 1 Oct 1949. Most people in Taiwan are regarded officially by the PRC government as PRC nationals or Chinese, not foreigners in China, even though most Taiwanese do not have the right to live in Mainland China.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichig View Post

Old 06-23-2015, 07:11 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
Taiwan feels extremely separate outside of mainland China. Tons of variables occur declaring independent sovereignty.

Despite the conflict behind the scenes, the situation between Taiwan, and China is quite peaceful, and they are really mature with the tension not escalating further. The United Nations must eventually recognize Taiwan's independent nature. People will start not believing in the United Nations credibility on identifying areas of countries, and how the international organization handles real life main events.

Taiwan is overall a really successful nation of East Asia in recent decades. A much wealthier, progressive, and democratic version of mainland China, and relatively environmentally friendly. Lots of tourism attractions all over Taiwan. Globally ranking high with quality of life, including people living there.

There was heavy reflective contemplation with debating between going to Taiwan or Vietnam this summer with a traveling companion, and we all ultimately decided on Taiwan.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:33 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Taiwan feels extremely separate outside of mainland China. Tons of variables occur declaring independent sovereignty.

Despite the conflict behind the scenes, the situation between Taiwan, and China is quite peaceful, and they are really mature with the tension not escalating further. The United Nations must eventually recognize Taiwan's independent nature. People will start not believing in the United Nations credibility on identifying areas of countries, and how the international organization handles real life main events.

Taiwan is overall a really successful nation of East Asia in recent decades. A much wealthier, progressive, and democratic version of mainland China, and relatively environmentally friendly. Lots of tourism attractions all over Taiwan. Globally ranking high with quality of life, including people living there.

There was heavy reflective contemplation with debating between going to Taiwan or Vietnam this summer with a traveling companion, and we all ultimately decided on Taiwan.
Sweet but it's not like UN is known for its credibility so I don't think they really GAF.

Have fun though, I mean when you get here. And try not to be too surprised when you see the fugly rundown buildings, the chaotic and dangerous traffic, the horrible air pollution, and the tragicomic pavements with your own eyes.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:15 AM

Starting from July this year, Taiwanese with a valid Tai Bao Zheng issued by the PRC government can live, including retiring and study, in Mainland China without visas. A right already enjoyed by HK and Macao Chinese with valid Home Return Permits. The reason can be easily understood, PRC government regards Taiwanese as their citizens even the PRC flag is not flown in Taiwan.

However, Mainland Chinese still need valid visas to visit Taiwan, and do not have automatic right to live in Taiwan.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:42 AM

653 posts, read 743,333 times
Well, Taiwan is already Independent in all but name. we don't see Beijing appointing officials to govern taiwan, do we?

Old 06-27-2015, 12:44 PM

Something very good about Taiwan is the low cost of living while being a developed country at the same time. It is modern, with high speed rail and good IT infrastructure.
If you are able to make money above the Taiwanese average, you will still have a lot of money left after paying your living expenses.

Last edited by lokeung); 06-27-2015 at 01:07 PM..

Old 06-27-2015, 01:00 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Something very good about Taiwan is the low cost of living while being a developed country at the same time. It is modern, with high speed rail and good IT infrastructure.
If you are able to make money above the Taiwanese average, you will have still have a lot of money left after paying your living expenses.
Uhem, not really. One can have some money left after paying living expenses but not much, and it's really tough if one has a family to raise, probably one of the toughest in the world, thus one of the lowest birth rate in the world. I often feel like nobody whose age is suitable for having babies(basically from 20 to 40) can afford doing so and I just feel bad for the little kids here in general, their future is...well, they don't have one!
The working environment is abysmal, and that's an understatement as I can't find a stronger vocabulary to describe how bad it really is.

Btw there are things which are more expensive here than in other countries, such as clothes(probably, not too sure) and dairy products(milk is WAY cheaper in Europe). Eating out and rental are probably the only two major things that are substantially cheaper than in other developed countries.

Last edited by Greysholic; 06-27-2015 at 01:15 PM..

Old 06-27-2015, 01:16 PM

To me and many other people in Asia, Taiwan is like a cheaper version of Japan with the same high technology, level of education, advanced medicine and work ethics. Service and manners are not as good as in Japan but Taiwanese do try to model on the Japanese hard on good service and manners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia