Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 03:58 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Then, why on earth are you still in Taiwan? If you hate working there so much, why not just move out of there?
Because I'm not working now. Tada!

Besides I'm not in Taiwan atm.

I'm just giving my genuine advice as a local, I even provided a blogpost of an expat's experience, if you don't want to listen then fine, whatever, I'll just give you a big "I TOLD YOU SO" when you regret your decision.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:48 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Then, why on earth are you still in Taiwan? If you hate working there so much, why not just move out of there?
Um, Oz, you do realize that most people can't just "move out of there", right? There's something called immigration that gets in the way. The only people that can realistically just "move out of there" are EU passport holders, but then they have a language barrier to deal with. So, no, saying to someone to just pack up and move up to another country is very unrealistic.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:07 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Taiwan is going through some major transition, in some ways it's like in the US how many jobs are being outsourced overseas. Many Taiwanese industries moved to China. Because of the US's agreement with China, Taiwan is basically locked out of certain industries like banking and financial trade services which Hong Kong's entire economy is based on. Which is why you don't see many big financial companies in Taiwan. China is trying to isolate Taiwan from the world. Taiwan still has the high tech industry because there are more highly skilled and educated young people than in China.

One of the reason why I would live in Taiwan over China is the food, culture, and more educated democratic society. I've had many disagreement with Chinese from mainland because their beliefs and mentality is too backwards and unreasonable.

Finding a job in Taiwan won't be easy for a foreigner, you have to create your own job.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:45 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Taiwan is going through some major transition, in some ways it's like in the US how many jobs are being outsourced overseas. Many Taiwanese industries moved to China. Because of the US's agreement with China, Taiwan is basically locked out of certain industries like banking and financial trade services which Hong Kong's entire economy is based on. Which is why you don't see many big financial companies in Taiwan. China is trying to isolate Taiwan from the world. Taiwan still has the high tech industry because there are more highly skilled and educated young people than in China.

One of the reason why I would live in Taiwan over China is the food, culture, and more educated democratic society. I've had many disagreement with Chinese from mainland because their beliefs and mentality is too backwards and unreasonable.

Finding a job in Taiwan won't be easy for a foreigner, you have to create your own job.
Then why are there so many online articles about brain drain in the Taiwanese job market? As a foreigner, would it be still difficult for me to find a job in the high tech industry?(speficially pharmaceutical companies for me)

Old 09-01-2015, 09:50 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Quote:
Then why are there so many online articles about brain drain in the Taiwanese job market? As a foreigner, would it be still difficult for me to find a job in the high tech industry?(speficially pharmaceutical companies for me)
It's difficult for Taiwanese people to accept mainland Chinese working together already, there's mistrust and foreigners are even less trust worthy. It's difficult for Taiwanese to embrace foreign workers as part of the work force. Which is why I believe in order to make a living in Taiwan you must be self-employed and have partners local that can voucher your services to others. Japan and Taiwan are very progress societies but still clinging on to old traditions which includes mistrust of the West when it comes to sharing ideas.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:25 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Quote:
Japan and Taiwan are very progress societies
Yeah, not really.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:33 PM

919 posts, read 839,633 times
Quote:
What is your field of work? And did the foreigners around you(and including yourself) had to be able to speak Mandarin Chinese fluently?
IT back when I was in Taiwan.

All foreigners around me speak Mandarin Chinese pretty well. You don't worry too much about your Mandarin, you will speak it well very soon.

You will be able to speak more fluently if you learn Mandarin in Taiwan compared to in Mainland China.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:00 AM

240 posts, read 344,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Taiwan has only been recognized by a few countries since its founding. A few African, Central American and Oceanic nations recognize Taiwan. It was kicked out of the UN in the 70's, and the US withdrew its recognition of the Republic of China (ROC) as the one and only China in the 70's, under Pres. Carter. The US does maintain a de facto (unofficial) "embassy" on Taiwan, still, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_status_of_Taiwan
Nope. Taiwan is ROC right now and widely accepted until US break diplomatic relations in 70s. After that, there "diplomatic" countries went down to roughly 20 today.

After 2016, it can go down to one, Holy See..

Old 09-06-2015, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Taiwan doesn't have an unemployment rate of 25%. Unlike Greece, Taiwan actually has industry. Just your usual Taiwanese pessimism showing through. The only thing you can claim legitimate as "bad" is the fact that your economy only grew at 0.6% last quarter. That is pretty bad, but you're still a LONG way from Greece. Please don't exaggerate, you live in Taiwan, not Myanmar
Really? Taiwan looks like Poland?

What I know is Taiwan is better than Spain, but a slightly far behind than Italy.
Jiangsu/Zhejiang is more looking like Poland right now....

Old 09-06-2015, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Do you believe an Asian guy can easily find a white collar job in US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia