Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2019, 10:13 PM

1,002 posts, read 906,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There's a lot of walking in Singapore and Hong Kong and a lot of other very developed cities. The reason for that is because there's a lot of density and a good mass transit system. After all, when you've got a good mass transit system and the economics for that to work out, you are for the first and last stretch going to be walking to and from the transit stations. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case with Manila, but building a city where people are actually happy walking the streets by choice rather than necessity is a good thing. I'd hope that Jakarta eventually builds out its streetscapes and mass transit system such that it's a a common thing there, too.
yeah, I think Walking is important, but more important is the infrastructure to support the city for example in Jakarta, the city already has good infrastructure facilities such as Transportation, Airports, Roads, even complete and luxurious Shopping etc. even in Jakarta people prefer areas on the outskirts of Jakarta rather than the center or the CBD. it's different from Manila only relying on the CBD and crowds of people walking in the area and they always think it's a beautiful or cool area because many building , but when you come out of the CBD in Manila it's so sad it's dirty, lots of beggars even sleep under the bridge, bad traffic and lots of old cars and buses , while the cities in Southeast Asia have improved a lot I can feel when I was in Bangkok there were some differences like the design of skyscrapers in Jakarta still far above BKK

even when to suburb of Jakarta there are many areas that are not inferior from design of the city like the CBD JKT but we have never arrogant like Pinoys who only rely on one area / CBD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 06:34 AM

732 posts, read 779,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
What about the development of Subways in Manila? I heard that is not yet there Subway construction in Manila, while Jakarta MRT already construction entered phase 2 all underground . needs to be known Jakarta and Manila both received loan from JICA / Japan assistance , what Japan is reluctant to release funds to build a Subway in Manila or is there another problem? or information I got is wrong? ..
Besides the 2 subways, don't forget that there are 4 train constructions ongoing here. MRT7, a completely new line; LRT1 and LRT2 extensions; and the North-South Commuter Rail.

Anyway, Metro Manila Subway update:

Tunnel digging to start November. TBM already arrived May this year.

https://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/...2ZFVlptFlPXIi0

https://tribune.net.ph/index.php/201...er-has-landed/

Meanwhile for the Makati Subway, I'm not betting so much about it at the moment as it is still on preparation stage, still have issues on right of ways and doing the final alignment:

http://eia.emb.gov.ph/wp-content/upl...-22May2019.pdf

https://business.inquirer.net/280250...n-to-naia-eyed

Old 10-14-2019, 02:10 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Besides the 2 subways, don't forget that there are 4 train constructions ongoing here. MRT7, a completely new line; LRT1 and LRT2 extensions; and the North-South Commuter Rail.

Anyway, Metro Manila Subway update:

Tunnel digging to start November. TBM already arrived May this year.

https://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/...2ZFVlptFlPXIi0

https://tribune.net.ph/index.php/201...er-has-landed/

Meanwhile for the Makati Subway, I'm not betting so much about it at the moment as it is still on preparation stage, still have issues on right of ways and doing the final alignment:

http://eia.emb.gov.ph/wp-content/upl...-22May2019.pdf

https://business.inquirer.net/280250...n-to-naia-eyed
Awesome!

Old 10-18-2019, 12:06 AM

1,002 posts, read 906,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
how about your train in Manila connecting between provinces ? pelase share link or vidio if so there really is ..

Old 10-22-2019, 12:35 AM

732 posts, read 779,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
how about your train in Manila connecting between provinces ? pelase share link or vidio if so there really is ..
PNR Clark Phase 1

PNR South

https://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/...VFz9k_WU8kpZ9E

Old 10-22-2019, 08:42 AM

17 posts, read 36,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
If Jakarta is better in everything then how come it’s behind in overall quality of life on both indexes that measure quality of life? Quality of life is literally the sum of many different factors that make cities better or worse than others. Jakarta improved a lot on the Economist’s liveability index, but even so, it’s still very much further behind Manila. Transportation is not the only thing that defines a city. If that were the case, then Jakarta would be ahead of Manila on quality of life, but it’s not
Leaving aside those indexes which i'm also sure shows improvements of Jakarta by years, Jakarta is infact pretty much more developed than Manila... I think you mentioned the sanitation part where less than 10 percent has access to sanitation, well i saw the data of national and the capital's sanitation and it shows that 90% of Jakartans have access to it, we are just using septic tank as a reliant source for sanitation, perhaps different to the philippines, I am not sure about Manila but what I can compare of is on national level, since the data provided shows Indonesia is catching up against the Philippines in sanitation access percentage, and will probably overlap by the mid 2020s. As of now, Indonesia is having the precentage as 73%, with Philippine' 76%. Also, Jakarta's BRT coupled with the newly made MRT and the short route of LRT has made the metropolis having the world's most reduced traffic congestion intensity, and I'm sure you've agreed before with regard to the transportation aspect, that Jakarta is indeed better than Manila. Coming to the skyline aspect, I just checked EMPORIS. Compared with skyscrapercenter, EMPORIS does not provide a factual data, given that Manila's Grand Hyatt height is 250m, whereas in EMPORIS it shows 310m as the architectural height of that building. As of walkability, I see the pedestrian walk on some parts of Jakarta are now indeed being newly made, although many of them are already made. I saw it in my own eyes. In Manila many of the sidewalks doesn't have the yellow line that navigates the disabled, particularly the blind people, although in Jakarta those lines are pretty much being misused by the vendors hehe. When I think of having a sustainable city, one of the first thing that comes in my mind is how those cities could allow their own people, no matter poor or rich, to go wherever they go in every part of the area in the cities. Pretty much almost all parts of Jakarta aren't quite 'gated' for the poors. You can see 'poor' buses, or buses of 'rakyat', like KOPAJA, bajaj, strolling around the main district. However in BGC or Makati, they won't allow those kind of vehicles to pass around. THere are also more gated communities in Manila. This perhaps symbolizes more segragation of rich and poor in Manila, but that's more into culture rather than both cities development, so I'll not be going too far on it. Lastly, talking about the slum areas, both cities are indeed destroying them and making new flats, (which is good!) but something i want to pick is the size of the slum, sadly Manila has the largest slum area in the region; Tondo with its 80,000 sq km size. Jakarta's Kali Baru in Cilincing, its biggest slum, isn't as massive as that. Overall Jakarta and Manila are like twin sisters, they both are equally modern and squalid. Jakarta has the most improvement though, Manila still has to deal with it's very densed populated areas, whereas Jakarta is nowhere as dense. Its transportation should be improved at a higher rate, and lastly in order to play a catchup game with Jakarta's development, Manila should start to embrace digital economy. For real, it is important. Grab isn't enough, it needs more young entrepreneur that establishes new start ups which helps the lives of ordinary people. Spread love guys not hate..

Old 10-22-2019, 05:08 PM

1,117 posts, read 841,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aryoseno11 View Post
Leaving aside those indexes which i'm also sure shows improvements of Jakarta by years, Jakarta is infact pretty much more developed than Manila... I think you mentioned the sanitation part where less than 10 percent has access to sanitation, well i saw the data of national and the capital's sanitation and it shows that 90% of Jakartans have access to it, we are just using septic tank as a reliant source for sanitation, perhaps different to the philippines, I am not sure about Manila but what I can compare of is on national level, since the data provided shows Indonesia is catching up against the Philippines in sanitation access percentage, and will probably overlap by the mid 2020s. As of now, Indonesia is having the precentage as 73%, with Philippine' 76%. Also, Jakarta's BRT coupled with the newly made MRT and the short route of LRT has made the metropolis having the world's most reduced traffic congestion intensity, and I'm sure you've agreed before with regard to the transportation aspect, that Jakarta is indeed better than Manila. Coming to the skyline aspect, I just checked EMPORIS. Compared with skyscrapercenter, EMPORIS does not provide a factual data, given that Manila's Grand Hyatt height is 250m, whereas in EMPORIS it shows 310m as the architectural height of that building. As of walkability, I see the pedestrian walk on some parts of Jakarta are now indeed being newly made, although many of them are already made. I saw it in my own eyes. In Manila many of the sidewalks doesn't have the yellow line that navigates the disabled, particularly the blind people, although in Jakarta those lines are pretty much being misused by the vendors hehe. When I think of having a sustainable city, one of the first thing that comes in my mind is how those cities could allow their own people, no matter poor or rich, to go wherever they go in every part of the area in the cities. Pretty much almost all parts of Jakarta aren't quite 'gated' for the poors. You can see 'poor' buses, or buses of 'rakyat', like KOPAJA, bajaj, strolling around the main district. However in BGC or Makati, they won't allow those kind of vehicles to pass around. THere are also more gated communities in Manila. This perhaps symbolizes more segragation of rich and poor in Manila, but that's more into culture rather than both cities development, so I'll not be going too far on it. Lastly, talking about the slum areas, both cities are indeed destroying them and making new flats, (which is good!) but something i want to pick is the size of the slum, sadly Manila has the largest slum area in the region; Tondo with its 80,000 sq km size. Jakarta's Kali Baru in Cilincing, its biggest slum, isn't as massive as that. Overall Jakarta and Manila are like twin sisters, they both are equally modern and squalid. Jakarta has the most improvement though, Manila still has to deal with it's very densed populated areas, whereas Jakarta is nowhere as dense. Its transportation should be improved at a higher rate, and lastly in order to play a catchup game with Jakarta's development, Manila should start to embrace digital economy. For real, it is important. Grab isn't enough, it needs more young entrepreneur that establishes new start ups which helps the lives of ordinary people. Spread love guys not hate..

Jakarta and Metro Manila are about the same land area and have a similar population. But Metro Manila has slightly more people (12 million vs almost 10 million). So Metro Manila does have a higher population density, but not much higher. Manila city does have a very high population density, but it's only a small area. Only 38 km. Most of Metro Manila's population doesnt even live in Manila city.

But anyways, even though Metro Manila has a higher population density, it still has more green space than Jakarta.

13% green space in Manila vs less than 10% in Jakarta
https://www.philstar.com/business/sc...d-our-survival
https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...en-spaces.html

Manila also has better air quality and a better quality of life on both the Economist's Index and Mercer's index.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:28 PM

546 posts, read 569,350 times
Oooh burn. Manoplo is creaming you with objective facts.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
Oooh burn. Manoplo is creaming you with objective facts.
Yeah i dont see why I should get burnt with that... I got burnt when some indos or filipinos are delusional...

Old 10-23-2019, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
Jakarta and Metro Manila are about the same land area and have a similar population. But Metro Manila has slightly more people (12 million vs almost 10 million). So Metro Manila does have a higher population density, but not much higher. Manila city does have a very high population density, but it's only a small area. Only 38 km. Most of Metro Manila's population doesnt even live in Manila city.

But anyways, even though Metro Manila has a higher population density, it still has more green space than Jakarta.

13% green space in Manila vs less than 10% in Jakarta
https://www.philstar.com/business/sc...d-our-survival
https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...en-spaces.html

Manila also has better air quality and a better quality of life on both the Economist's Index and Mercer's index.
According to world atlas, Manila population density is over 40,000 people per sq km, Jakarta is a fourth to that. That means either first: IF the population is distributed evenly on both cities, Manila is 4 times more densely populated than Jakarta. OR some parts of Manila if not evenly distributed, have waayy too much people, wayy more than the other place, which is also bad. And coming to the quality of life based on both of that data, I do not deny those are wrong, I just said i left those stuff aside, which now brings me into some programs the regional gov has. I think Manila should adopt Jakarta's Car Free Day which are held every Sunday at the Main District. Even though datas shows Quality of Life that is bad, I could still walk around on some every corner of the street in Jakarta safely (even though smelly for some part lol), also i do not need to be worried about robbery or theft. Just use common sense (not going overnight, not drunk etc) and you are pretty much fine. Weather is pretty much always hot over here recently, which contributes to the pollution level. I have seen a documentary from Youtube (Life where i'm not from) about working in Manila, it's insane. You have to get up so early and go to work such early, going off from work and finding jeepneys etc, transportation does affect quality of life in general. So while not blaming the data about how its wrong which is ofcourse immature, maybe we can compare those cities from another perspective, ie how live goes in there. If you need to go to work, ive seen many people that just need to ride the train or the BRTs, gojek, many viable options, although not really enough to accomodate the huge population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia