Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2018, 01:29 AM

1,117 posts, read 841,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
others classy hangout in Jakarta
"OMG view of sky Jakarta"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEYrQ51gPnI
Meh. Manila has a better skyline because of how it has dense clusters.

This is from a rooftop bar in Makati

First you can see Makati's huge skyline. Then they turn to BGC's skyline further away. Then on the other side, you can see Ortigas' skyline in the distance.

Here's another rooftop bar with a similar view. But in this one, you cant really see BGC, but you can see some of Manila Bay's skyline in the distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 09:26 PM

1,002 posts, read 906,387 times
Jakarta Oh Jakarta ......
- the most modern city
- Jakarta city that offers a million charms
- Jakarta city with multi people mixed race from javanese, chinese,
and betawinese
- Metropolis city
- Beautiful landscape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvnVVhNeyo4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl8OauSrK_g

Old 12-27-2018, 05:11 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
Jakarta Oh Jakarta ......
- the most modern city
- Jakarta city that offers a million charms
- Jakarta city with multi people mixed race from javanese, chinese,
and betawinese
- Metropolis city
- Beautiful landscape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvnVVhNeyo4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl8OauSrK_g
Do you feel like the mass transit system and its planned expansions will make a notable dent in pollution, congestion, and walkability in the near future? What’s the timeframe for these expansions and how extensive are they? Are there ridership projections?

Old 01-03-2019, 08:30 PM

1,002 posts, read 906,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Do you feel like the mass transit system and its planned expansions will make a notable dent in pollution, congestion, and walkability in the near future? What’s the timeframe for these expansions and how extensive are they? Are there ridership projections?
I feel no, because the transportation system that is built now is connected like MRT & LRT with other mass transit . it is better to prevent congestion than Jakarta does not have good mass transit. because the problem Jakarta is facing now is traffic congestion

Old 01-03-2019, 10:32 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,091,126 times
Man, is there anything worse than people arguing about what city has better shopping malls? Lord have mercy. This debate makes me want to never travel to either one of these cities and I've spent a considerable amount of time in Manila and enjoyed it immensely. For my filipino and indo friends, please know that if I wanted to go shopping, I'd just stay in my own city. I want to see culture, the arts, music, nightlife, museums, parks, natural beauty, and historic architecture -- not a shopping mall.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Man, is there anything worse than people arguing about what city has better shopping malls? Lord have mercy. This debate makes me want to never travel to either one of these cities and I've spent a considerable amount of time in Manila and enjoyed it immensely. For my filipino and indo friends, please know that if I wanted to go shopping, I'd just stay in my own city. I want to see culture, the arts, music, nightlife, museums, parks, natural beauty, and historic architecture -- not a shopping mall.

Jakarta and Manila both have ****ty climates where it's usually either too hot or too rainy to spend a lot of time outside for most of the year. So that's why shopping malls are so attractive. They're not meant to appeal to tourists, but if you actually live in those cities, you'll appreciate the shopping malls because you can get everything done, from grocery shopping, to paying your bills, to getting your haircut, to eating and entertainment all under one roof.

That being said, Manila actually does have several areas that are walkable and people can enjoy being outside

Eastwood

BGC

Makati

Jakarta lacks areas like these.

In Manila, there's not a lot of historical areas left because of WW2, but there's Intramuros

and I know Jakarta has its own old town as well.

Last edited by manolopo; 01-03-2019 at 11:12 PM..

Old 01-04-2019, 11:02 PM

839 posts, read 734,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
BGC
Thanks for posting those videos! I find it interesting that an area in BGC is called a "High Street" (which is a British term) rather than "Main Street" (which is the American equivalent). While I generally don't like indoor shopping malls, I do like the outdoor concept of a high street especially in a mixed-use environment where you have workspaces and offices, residence, leisure, commercial, retail, bars and restaurants, theatres, cinemas, etc. all mixed in together. This reminds me of the Town Centre concept you see all over the UK and Europe. I also like how there are public spaces where one can sit around and people-watch, and the outdoor dining feels European. I believe cities should have good outdoor public spaces just like in the video where people can just sit, relax, and connect with other people. Plus, this adds to the vibrancy and vitality to a city's street life, which you can't get in an indoor shopping mall.

BGC is an example of good urban planning
Cities should be building less shopping malls and more mixed-use town centres and high streets.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
Thanks for posting those videos! I find it interesting that an area in BGC is called a "High Street" (which is a British term) rather than "Main Street" (which is the American equivalent). While I generally don't like indoor shopping malls, I do like the outdoor concept of a high street especially in a mixed-use environment where you have workspaces and offices, residence, leisure, commercial, retail, bars and restaurants, theatres, cinemas, etc. all mixed in together. This reminds me of the Town Centre concept you see all over the UK and Europe. I also like how there are public spaces where one can sit around and people-watch, and the outdoor dining feels European. I believe cities should have good outdoor public spaces just like in the video where people can just sit, relax, and connect with other people. Plus, this adds to the vibrancy and vitality to a city's street life, which you can't get in an indoor shopping mall.

BGC is an example of good urban planning
Cities should be building less shopping malls and more mixed-use town centres and high streets.
Yeah, people seem to think Manila is all malls. And yes, there are a lot of them, but there has also been a big effort to create more walkable districts. BGC is the biggest one, but there are many others.

Bonifacio High Street is unique because it's not actually a street. It's a green area in the middle with sidewalks on both sides, with all the stores, restaurants, bars etc along the side. So it directly caters to pedestrians, not cars.

It's the green area in the middle of this map

You can walk from Serendra to Burgos Circle, which is one end of BGC to the other and it's completely pedestrian-friendly. Almost all of BGC is pedestrian-friendly, but especially the central part along Bonifacio High Street

Old 01-06-2019, 12:02 AM

732 posts, read 779,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Of course there are things worse than that! Where have you been living all your life? That is just one of the things that can be compared from one city to another among many.

To those who have not experienced malls in Southeast Asia, they wont probably understand because you are used to your tinny winny malls back home. Man, malls here are man-made wonders themselves in case you dont know(maybe u have been to one)

But I understand its pointless comparing when you both have gigantic and vibrant malls. Maybe a Guadalajara-Manila or Jakarta malls comparison, you want?

Im also quite into high street concept though, the only thing is we have tropical climate here, not really fit to build them all throughout the metro, malls does still makes sense here.

Last edited by neMarL; 01-06-2019 at 12:16 AM..

Old 01-10-2019, 09:55 PM

7 posts, read 11,217 times
Railway system in Indonesia and Philippines

Philippines has total of only 479 kms, only around 80 kms is in service, mainly around Metro Manila.
Indonesia has total of 7,777.40 kms network size, in which 5,564 kms is in sercive. Jakarta's commuter line alone is 418 kms long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia