Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2020, 01:42 PM

1,112 posts, read 853,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
Like it or hate it, that's reality of our past that shapes modern day Indonesians. Our Govt deported most of them back to The Dutch, and nationalize most of their companies in the 1940s to 1950s.

That's the problem with your society.

Filipinos value Eurasian looking people so high, it's like giving them free of traffic highway to success, esp in your showbiz industry. While majority of your population, who are just straight forward Asian looking, are drunk daydreaming of having such beautiful life.

Try to walk on Manila street, you will hardly find Eurasian looking locals there, but once you turn your TV on, all of sudden so many Eurasian faces popping out like they are the majority of the population. It's reality, and it's sad.

Indonesia does have Indos (Dutch-Indonesian) still living in the country. Though the number is so small and so well assimilated to society that nothing makes them stand out. And we don't have the urge to create forums dedicated to discuss and track their social media accounts, unlike what Filipinos do (to Spanish-Filipino).

Majority of Eurasian here comes from newer interracial marriages, esp in well known tourist hotspot like Bali.

It's really no different from the Indonesians on here posting half Indonesian half something else. That's fine. But the thread isn't about that. The thread is about multi-generational Eurasians who descend from the colonial period. Not half Indonesian half whatever. Or Dutch-Indonesians who moved far away and probably never stepped foot in Indonesia again or at all.

Quote:
Indonesia does have Indos (Dutch-Indonesian) still living in the country. Though the number is so small and so well assimilated to society that nothing makes them stand out.
Same in the Philippines, except they're much more assimilated. Spanish-Filipinos don't really have a distinct culture from mainstream Christian Filipinos. The main difference is just wealth and the amount of English they use. But they have that in common with other wealthy Filipinos regardless of ethnicity. Spanish-Filipinos assimilated into the culture a long time ago. That's why they celebrate the same holidays, eat the same foods, believe in the same religion, etc as mainstream Filipinos. They even have the same names as most other Filipinos.

For example. They're all 4 Spanish-Filipinos. Notice how they communicate in Conyo English (same accent as other wealthy Filipinos) and sometimes Taglish. I doubt they even know how to speak Spanish. I've seen other episodes where they had guests from Spain and had to communicate with them in English

starts around 1 minute in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGxNfp5O5b8

The only Spanish-Filipinos who physically stand out in a crowd are the ones with mostly Spanish ancestry, and they're rare. You're not going to notice Filipinos who are 1/4th or less Spanish because they're going to look mostly Filipinos. The celebs in the Philippines are mostly not Spanish-descent. Spanish-Filipinos are more in business than in entertainment.

The showbiz industry in the Philippines has changed a ton from several generations ago.

Note the huge difference in how the celebs looks then and now:

Almost none of them looked Filipino back then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Egr8cBS-sA

vs. Now- Most of them look Filipino. There are a couple halfies, but they're not the majority

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qDipx-i-Ww

Most celebs in the Philippines are full Filipino now.

And Spanish culture isn't really big in the Philippines anymore. Nobody really cares about the Spanish language besides some call center workers who learn it to get extra money. Even most of the Spanish families speak English, Tagalog, Taglish, or Visayan now rather than Spanish. Counting in Spanish is seen as very rural or old-fashioned. You won't see any Spanish telenovelas on the TV anymore. People even prefer to use English numbers to Spanish numbers. If anything, it was Americanization that changed modern-day Filipino culture. Spanish culture is just so ingrained that no one thinks or cares about it anymore. And since Spanish-Filipinos mostly belong to the upper-class, they were some of the first Filipinos to Americanize themselves and speak English. Other Filipinos eventually followed

Last edited by manolopo; 11-03-2020 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post

That's such a stark contrast to the Indos who were left behind in Indonesia. Life looks miserable for them, and they say it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28EM2O431U0

Btw, that's the video you posted earlier in the thread. Thanks for sharing. I hate that just because they're Christians and descended from colonizers, they're discriminated against and have horrible lives. Suffice it to say, Dutch Indo culture is thriving OUTSIDE of Indonesia, and it's basically dead inside Indonesia. Maybe all the ones who stayed and assimilated just became regular Indonesians in order to escape persecution. With Spanish Filipinos, they never had to give up any part of their identity. The Spanish language was lost for the most part thanks to American colonization, but the traditions and culture are still there and are also part of mainstream Filipino culture.

Old 11-03-2020, 09:19 PM

1,004 posts, read 919,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post

Btw, that's the video you posted earlier in the thread. Thanks for sharing. I hate that just because they're Christians and descended from colonizers, they're discriminated against and have horrible lives. Suffice it to say, Dutch Indo culture is thriving OUTSIDE of Indonesia, and it's basically dead inside Indonesia. Maybe all the ones who stayed and assimilated just became regular Indonesians in order to escape persecution. With Spanish Filipinos, they never had to give up any part of their identity. The Spanish language was lost for the most part thanks to American colonization, but the traditions and culture are still there and are also part of mainstream Filipino culture.
rarely do people who are mixed European when they live European or Western love culture, food from outside Europe / Westren is very different from what happens with people of mixed colonial Dutch descent in westren country " Netherland,USA,etc " they are so preserving and loving anything about Indonesia

in Philipines when the country was colonized by Spain, many received bad treatment, forced labor, killed ..anything related to the invaders was bad but the Filipinos were so proud of what was colonial to maintain the culture, names even the Filipinos were confused with their own identity

Old 11-04-2020, 09:24 AM

546 posts, read 574,599 times
Quote:
rarely do people who are mixed European when they live European or Western love culture, food from outside Europe / Westren is very different from what happens with people of mixed colonial Dutch descent in westren country " Netherland,USA,etc " they are so preserving and loving anything about Indonesia

in Philipines when the country was colonized by Spain, many received bad treatment, forced labor, killed ..anything related to the invaders was bad but the Filipinos were so proud of what was colonial to maintain the culture, names even the Filipinos were confused with their own identity
Wut? Brah. Why you have a beef against us?

Old 11-04-2020, 01:09 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,524,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
Like it or hate it, that's reality of our past that shapes modern day Indonesians. Our Govt deported most of them back to The Dutch, and nationalize most of their companies in the 1940s to 1950s.

That's the problem with your society.

Filipinos value Eurasian looking people so high, it's like giving them free of traffic highway to success, esp in your showbiz industry. While majority of your population, who are just straight forward Asian looking, are drunk daydreaming of having such beautiful life.

Try to walk on Manila street, you will hardly find Eurasian looking locals there, but once you turn your TV on, all of sudden so many Eurasian faces popping out like they are the majority of the population. It's reality, and it's sad.

^This

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
There are Vietnamese in FRance,Indonesians in Holland,Philipinos in Spain,but what is the point of arguing how much Spanish blood the Philipinos have?

some of the serviles of islands of king phillip of spain are obessed with spanish blood. Its like holy water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
There are over 55 minority groups in CHINA,but how many of us can tell the difference?

Free tibet and maybe inner mongolia!

Old 11-04-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:

You're comparing hypothetical situations. Dutch Indos are the only large Eurasian population that lives outside of Asia. Probably Ango-Indians as well, and I suspect they celebrate their culture outside of India just as much as Dutch Indos do. There is not a large diaspora population of Spanish-Filipinos to compare it to.

Also, if Dutch Indos loved Indonesia so much, they would move back there and get Indonesian citizenship, but most don't. Loving the food and having parties is one thing, but how they are contributing to the development of the country?

Spanish-Filipinos actually live in the Philippines and are contributing to the development of the country and the culture. A lot of them are very much into the indigenous culture of the Philippines. For example, the Ayala family owns the Ayala Museum, which houses a huge collection of indigenous, pre-colonial artifacts.

I mean, how many Dutch Indos are moving back to Indonesia and creating whole museums about Indonesian history and culture?

This family is also on the boards of the other major museums in the Philippines. Not to mention all their philanthropy work. They also developed Makati CBD, BGC, and many other CBDs.

I think a lot of Spanish-Filipinos try to overcompensate for the fact that they dont look Filipino, so they try as much as possible to immerse themselves in indigenous culture or get involved in causes that benefit poor Filipinos. Many are historians, artists who focus on indigenous culture, and activists.

These individuals come to mind:

Artist/designer who incorporates indigenous Filipino elements in her work and she works with indigenous people to create her work

Film maker who incorporates indigenous culture in his films

One of the most well-know, outspoken historians in the Philippines.

Philanthropist

Human rights activist

This one may or may not be considered Spanish-Filipino. I think his Spanish ancestry is more distant than the others. I notice he uses a lot of Spanish words that most Filipinos don't use anymore. But he's the mayor of Manila and the person responsible for the redevelopment of the historic areas of Manila in the past year

And I won't even get into all the other businesspeople of Spanish-descent who are contributing to the development of the country. The point is, pride in your country is a lot more than having parties and eating food (outside of the country)

Old 11-04-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Also, did you even watch the video? She said the Indos felt betrayed by the Indonesians. And then he asked her where she felt at home, and she said "here" (Netherlands). She also said "I could never live there again." He also asked about the young Indos and if she thinks they will keep gathering and celebrating their culture like the older ones do. She says "No, I think after this generation, it will end. There is no other way. When this generation is gone. It just ends... for the Indos"

I mean, really what did you expect? After living outside of Indonesia for 70years, you think Indo identity is going to continue getting stronger and stronger? Nothing about this is about being proud to be Indonesian. It's about being proud to be Eurasian and proud to have a unique identity. What the lady says in the video is the complete opposite of what you're saying.

And it's the opposite of the Spanish-Filipino experience. They consider themselves Filipinos. The Philippines is there home. That's why whenever they have family events, weddings, reunions, they're in the Philippines. Not in Spain. The Philippines is the homeland.

Some random mestizo wedding in the Philippines. These people aren't even celebrities are famous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZoK4WT0f0E
Even if they look different from most Filipinos, their culture is really not much different. They're in a Catholic Church and celebrating the same traditions that mainstream Filipinos would celebrate. They're also wearing the same clothing that all Filipinos wear to weddings- the barong Tagalog. Those are not Spanish wedding clothes

Last edited by manolopo; 11-04-2020 at 10:57 PM..

Old 11-05-2020, 03:17 PM

657 posts, read 247,275 times
Quote:
Also, did you even watch the video? She said the Indos felt betrayed by the Indonesians. And then he asked her where she felt at home, and she said "here" (Netherlands). She also said "I could never live there again." He also asked about the young Indos and if she thinks they will keep gathering and celebrating their culture like the older ones do. She says "No, I think after this generation, it will end. There is no other way. When this generation is gone. It just ends... for the Indos"

I mean, really what did you expect? After living outside of Indonesia for 70years, you think Indo identity is going to continue getting stronger and stronger? Nothing about this is about being proud to be Indonesian. It's about being proud to be Eurasian and proud to have a unique identity. What the lady says in the video is the complete opposite of what you're saying.

And it's the opposite of the Spanish-Filipino experience. They consider themselves Filipinos. The Philippines is there home. That's why whenever they have family events, weddings, reunions, they're in the Philippines. Not in Spain. The Philippines is the homeland.

Some random mestizo wedding in the Philippines. These people aren't even celebrities are famous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZoK4WT0f0E
Even if they look different from most Filipinos, their culture is really not much different. They're in a Catholic Church and celebrating the same traditions that mainstream Filipinos would celebrate. They're also wearing the same clothing that all Filipinos wear to weddings- the barong Tagalog. Those are not Spanish wedding clothes
You not get the whole picture!
That video she felt betrayed when she is pro dutch? So who is betrayer then?
Of course she enjoy her life as dutch-lifestyle and pick dutch citizen since she cant get dual citizen in Indo. Not like ur country dual citizen thats why more pinoy prefer go abroad than stay in your country!

Here other story pro indonesia

She make mistake pick dutch citizen because she follow her husband which is Suriname (at that moment suriname is under dutch colony).
What she said? "I can accept life in dutch, but life with indo pro-dutch is the worst in my life"

Here the connection indo-suriname
Javanese song popular there

Javanese culture still exist

Jokowi speak Javanese to suriname ambassador

How about you? I doubt they can speak tagalog fluently like ur people which have identity crysis!

And you call wearing national clothes and speak national language is tradition?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pag-pag View Post
This how culture still exist after 350 years colonization

Balinese wedding

Javanese wedding

Sundanese wedding

Every tribe have their own wedding culture. Not identity crisis became western, spanish wannabe
I am so sad ur limited knowledge of ur tradition, hope u not identity crysis!

Old 11-05-2020, 10:07 PM

Oh wow. I really touched a nerve

Maybe you should respond to this comment because you seem to be in complete disagreement with him...

Quote:
He said that after posting a video that shows the exact opposite. The Dutch Indo lady said nothing about loving Indonesia. She said the Netherlands is her home. She said her generation is the last generation that celebrates Indo culture. After her generation, Indo culture will end. That's what she said. So maybe your guy needs to watch the videos before he posts them. You probably agree with me. Dutch Indos don't care about the country of Indonesia. It's not their home anymore.

Also, the Philippines has plenty of different cultures and traditions. Different ethnic groups with their different clothing and wedding attire.

Tausug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_cF1h3tePI

And this is a tribe I had never even heard of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsW6R3GqrdI

And on the other end of the country (not a wedding, but another tradition)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dnJuOHlqBU

And we have so many festivals that celebrate indigenous culture. This one involves many different tribes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuei1a8i6Uc

But in the previous post when I was talking about the mestizo wedding, I was just referring to lowland Christian Filipino culture. Even though they speak different languages and have some cultural different, there is a shared culture between the lowland ethnic groups. My point was that Spanish-Filipinos don't culturally stand out much from other lowland Christian Filipinos. So Spanish-Filipinos are going to blend in much easier in the Philippines than Dutch-Indos would blend in in Indonesia. That was the point, and you missed it. The wedding attire in that Spanish mestizo wedding is what all lowland Filipinos would wear to weddings- the Barong (for men) and the Baro't Saya or Maria Clara dress (for women). I'm sorry it looks Westernized to you, but lowland culture is Westernized. We're not Indianized, so our culture looks different.

Lowland Christian Filipino culture absorbed much more of the colonial influences (Spanish and then American), so that's why it seems too Westernized to you. I mean, the Philippines was also colonized by the US, so of course people use a lot of English words in the language. That's what happens.

How many Indonesians are using absolutely ZERO Portuguese or Dutch words when they speak Indonesian? I know English is the global language now, so it seems like Filipinos are just intentionally losing their culture trying to be Western. But you have to remember that the Philippines was colonized by the US like Indonesia was colonized by the Dutch. So don't blame Filipinos for using English words or having American culture. Like I wouldn't blame Indonesians for using Dutch words and having some Dutch cultural influences.

And isn't it funny that those Indonesian wedding videos have American/British music playing as the background music. Don't be a hypocrite.

Old 11-06-2020, 12:33 AM

657 posts, read 247,275 times
Quote:
Oh wow. I really touched a nerve

Maybe you should respond to this comment because you seem to be in complete disagreement with him...

He said that after posting a video that shows the exact opposite. The Dutch Indo lady said nothing about loving Indonesia. She said the Netherlands is her home. She said her generation is the last generation that celebrates Indo culture. After her generation, Indo culture will end. That's what she said. So maybe your guy needs to watch the videos before he posts them. You probably agree with me. Dutch Indos don't care about the country of Indonesia. It's not their home anymore.

Also, the Philippines has plenty of different cultures and traditions. Different ethnic groups with their different clothing and wedding attire.

Tausug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_cF1h3tePI

And this is a tribe I had never even heard of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsW6R3GqrdI

And on the other end of the country (not a wedding, but another tradition)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dnJuOHlqBU

And we have so many festivals that celebrate indigenous culture. This one involves many different tribes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuei1a8i6Uc

But in the previous post when I was talking about the mestizo wedding, I was just referring to lowland Christian Filipino culture. Even though they speak different languages and have some cultural different, there is a shared culture between the lowland ethnic groups. My point was that Spanish-Filipinos don't culturally stand out much from other lowland Christian Filipinos. So Spanish-Filipinos are going to blend in much easier in the Philippines than Dutch-Indos would blend in in Indonesia. That was the point, and you missed it. The wedding attire in that Spanish mestizo wedding is what all lowland Filipinos would wear to weddings- the Barong (for men) and the Baro't Saya or Maria Clara dress (for women). I'm sorry it looks Westernized to you, but lowland culture is Westernized. We're not Indianized, so our culture looks different.

Lowland Christian Filipino culture absorbed much more of the colonial influences (Spanish and then American), so that's why it seems too Westernized to you. I mean, the Philippines was also colonized by the US, so of course people use a lot of English words in the language. That's what happens.

How many Indonesians are using absolutely ZERO Portuguese or Dutch words when they speak Indonesian? I know English is the global language now, so it seems like Filipinos are just intentionally losing their culture trying to be Western. But you have to remember that the Philippines was colonized by the US like Indonesia was colonized by the Dutch. So don't blame Filipinos for using English words or having American culture. Like I wouldn't blame Indonesians for using Dutch words and having some Dutch cultural influences.

And isn't it funny that those Indonesian wedding videos have American/British music playing as the background music. Don't be a hypocrite.
Oh wow really you touch the nerve, every single debate with me you always lose
Because what? Because u idiot!
And iam happy to slap u many times

So you can read that statments is rare case right?
So i told u before, u not see the whole picture idiot!
That interview is between indo pro-dutch vs pro-indo
So dont ask me why those pro-dutch more enjoy as dutch-lifestyle than indo pro indonesia, like ur most pinoy so proud western lifestyle.
Even from daily basis your society is wrong! Colonial mentality!

Glad to see your knowledge is increase about philippines culture mr. Manolopo
Hope your society more proud with your culture. Not just spanish-filipino culture dominate your limited knowledge.
I dont know is your leader can represent their local culture? Or they also have limited knowldge about pinoy culture just like u?

Is that beauty pageant fashion contest?

Indonesia leader they represent their every local culture. Not just wear batik national uniform and go crazy overproud like you wearing batik as the only limited knowledge of tradition,

Is that culture crysis identity mr. Manolopo? which part of dutch / portuguese wear that clothes?

We use modern melayu name it bahasa indonesia language. And if i talk with dutch / portugese no one will understand like ur idiot claim mr. Manolopo.
Very few dutch words is modified into bahasa language. And i cant remember which one. Even if i do converstation with dutch/portuguese they dont know what iam talking about.
Dutch culture? What kind of dutch culture we proud to use as daily basis?

That traditional modern wedding culture video. And thats just video background music not in realtime wedding ceremony idiot.

Mr. Manolopo idiot certified

Last edited by pag-pag; 11-06-2020 at 12:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia