Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2020, 01:02 AM

1,117 posts, read 847,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
This whole thread is mostly about :

Filipino : We have significant Spanish blood.

Indonesian : Hell no, you don't. You look just plain Asian like us.
Please find me anywhere in this thread where I said Filipinos have significant Spanish blood. Filipinos don't have significant Spanish blood. The average Filipino is like 0.5 to 5% European. Being that much European won't make you look different from other Southeast Asians. I've seen a Filipino with 40% European on 23andme and he still looked Southeast Asian. So going by looks doesn't work for smaller amounts of ancestry. There are Filipinos with higher amounts of European, and they actually still live in the Philippines.

The whole point I'm making is that Spanish-Filipinos still exist as a population inside the Philippines. And they have a similar culture to the mainstream population. They only physically stand out, but not culturally. Whereas in other Asian countries, just being Christian and having a European last name would automatically make you "Eurasian." Yeah, that definition definitely wouldn't work in the Philippines because that would make 75% of the population "Eurasian" Other Asian countries think speaking a European creole language like Macanese or Kristang makes them Eurasian. Well the Philippines has the largest European creole language in Asia, but Chavacano people don't run around calling themselves Eurasians or mestizos. They're just regular Filipinos who happen to speak Spanish creole. Kristang and Macanese have a couple thousand speakers left, while Chavacano has around half a million native speakers and it's taught in all elementary schools in the region. But Chavacanos aren't making documentaries about how they're Eurasians.

Indonesians on this thread be like: "There's so many Indos" (but they all live OUTSIDE of Indonesia). "There's so many half Indonesia half whites" (but this thread isn't about that).

And they use this as evidence of how proud Indos are to be Indonesian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU5HXPvxXvQ

She literally says in the video that home is "here" (Netherlands). She also said "I could never live there (Indonesia) again." The interviewer asks about the young Indos and if she thinks they will keep gathering and celebrating their culture like the older ones do. She says "No, I think after this generation, it will end. There is no other way. When this generation is gone. It just ends... for the Indos"

Last edited by manolopo; 11-26-2020 at 01:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2020, 11:39 PM

400 posts, read 239,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
Please find me anywhere in this thread where I said Filipinos have significant Spanish blood. Filipinos don't have significant Spanish blood. The average Filipino is like 0.5 to 5% European. Being that much European won't make you look different from other Southeast Asians. I've seen a Filipino with 40% European on 23andme and he still looked Southeast Asian. So going by looks doesn't work for smaller amounts of ancestry. There are Filipinos with higher amounts of European, and they actually still live in the Philippines.
Chill ...

Really any country that once being colonized by European power will have European blood in it.

Quote:
The whole point I'm making is that Spanish-Filipinos still exist as a population inside the Philippines. And they have a similar culture to the mainstream population.
Tell me in which Asian country that Eurasian as descendant of past colonialism has his own culture that differs from mainstream population?

Based on my experience, Spanish Filipino (that have significant Spanish admixture not those self proclaimed ones) is among the most exclusive Eurasian in Asian country. They are mostly rich, hold dual citizenship, not well assimilated to surrounding population. Stand out is maybe the right words, you can easily spot one among native Filipinos.

Quote:
They only physically stand out, but not culturally. Whereas in other Asian countries, just being Christian and having a European last name would automatically make you "Eurasian." Yeah, that definition definitely wouldn't work in the Philippines because that would make 75% of the population "Eurasian" Other Asian countries think speaking a European creole language like Macanese or Kristang makes them Eurasian. Well the Philippines has the largest European creole language in Asia, but Chavacano people don't run around calling themselves Eurasians or mestizos. They're just regular Filipinos who happen to speak Spanish creole. Kristang and Macanese have a couple thousand speakers left, while Chavacano has around half a million native speakers and it's taught in all elementary schools in the region. But Chavacanos aren't making documentaries about how they're Eurasians.
A Filipino friend once told me that many Filipinos do have Spanish surnames but in actuality do not have a tiny bit of Spanish admixture in his blood. It's just one of many ways Spain whitewashed Philippines in the past. Yet in present day those same people boast about having Spanish ancestor from my great great grandfather from my mother's side bla bla bla.

He told me while joking as if he mocked his fellow Filipinos. And I knew exactly why he did so.

Free information for you, 3rd and so on generation of Indos usually don't use Dutch surname anymore. Like me, I don't have specific family name. But because I'm Muslim and was born in Ramadhan month, "Ramadhan" is used as my surname.

Quote:
Indonesians on this thread be like: "There's so many Indos" (but they all live OUTSIDE of Indonesia). "There's so many half Indonesia half whites" (but this thread isn't about that).
Who told you that?
Most were being deported, but not ALL. Of course it's impossible to filter which is which and then deported them ALL. LOL. Quite a number still stayed and breed with locals. If we wanna dig deeper to find tiny weeny drop of Dutch blood, we can boast just like you all do. But what's the point?

Quote:
And they use this as evidence of how proud Indos are to be Indonesian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU5HXPvxXvQ

She literally says in the video that home is "here" (Netherlands). She also said "I could never live there (Indonesia) again." The interviewer asks about the young Indos and if she thinks they will keep gathering and celebrating their culture like the older ones do. She says "No, I think after this generation, it will end. There is no other way. When this generation is gone. It just ends... for the Indos"
It's because both had strong culture that wouldn't bow down each other. Once colonialism ended, whoever left in each side would follow the respective popular culture. As Indo in Indonesia, I know nothing about Dutch, not the language, not the culture. So why Indos in Netherlands should pursue Indonesian culture?

Okay enough from me ... See U

Old 11-27-2020, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Chill ...

Really any country that once being colonized by European power will have European blood in it.

Tell me in which Asian country that Eurasian as descendant of past colonialism has his own culture that differs from mainstream population?

Based on my experience, Spanish Filipino (that have significant Spanish admixture not those self proclaimed ones) is among the most exclusive Eurasian in Asian country. They are mostly rich, hold dual citizenship, not well assimilated to surrounding population. Stand out is maybe the right words, you can easily spot one among native Filipinos.

A Filipino friend once told me that many Filipinos do have Spanish surnames but in actuality do not have a tiny bit of Spanish admixture in his blood. It's just one of many ways Spain whitewashed Philippines in the past. Yet in present day those same people boast about having Spanish ancestor from my great great grandfather from my mother's side bla bla bla.

He told me while joking as if he mocked his fellow Filipinos. And I knew exactly why he did so.

Free information for you, 3rd and so on generation of Indos usually don't use Dutch surname anymore. Like me, I don't have specific family name. But because I'm Muslim and was born in Ramadhan month, "Ramadhan" is used as my surname.

Who told you that?
Most were being deported, but not ALL. Of course it's impossible to filter which is which and then deported them ALL. LOL. Quite a number still stayed and breed with locals. If we wanna dig deeper to find tiny weeny drop of Dutch blood, we can boast just like you all do. But what's the point?

It's because both had strong culture that wouldn't bow down each other. Once colonialism ended, whoever left in each side would follow the respective popular culture. As Indo in Indonesia, I know nothing about Dutch, not the language, not the culture. So why Indos in Netherlands should pursue Indonesian culture?

Okay enough from me ... See U
Macanese are drastically different from the surrounding Chinese population. Kristangs are different from the surrounding Malay population. In Singapore, they fit in a little better, but still view themselves as different. Anglo-Indians are drastically different from the surrounding Indian population. It's mostly because of religion and culture. But are Spanish-Filipinos drastically different from other Filipinos? Besides physical appearance, no. They follow the same religion as 80% of the population of the Philippines, eat the same foods, take part in the same traditions. The main difference is they're mostly rich. But their lifestyle and culture wouldn't be different from other wealthy Filipinos. Their subculture is called "conyo" but conyo culture is not specific to Spanish-Filipinos. It's an upper class or upper-middle class culture. Chinese-Filipinos are also mostly conyos, and most conyos now are Austronesian Filipinos.

And the part about Spanish surnames. That's exactly my point. Having a Spanish surname doesn't make you a mestizo in the Philippines. Nobody thinks that Edwin Garcia who lives in Tondo is a mestizo because of his name. But in other Asian countries, European surnames are so uncommon that just having one would automatically make you Eurasian. It doesn't work like that in the Philippines.

Here's an interview with self-identified Macanese guy. He says that it's highly possible that his ancestors were just Chinese and took a Portuguese names when they converted to Catholicism. He says that is was common for Chinese in Macau to change their names when they got baptized.

@ 8:45 in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-NzCv5kFC8

That exact same thing happened to 80% of the population in the Philippines, but 80% of our population don't call themselves "mestizos" simply for having Spanish last names and being Catholic. That's why I think being "Eurasian" is more of a cultural / religious thing in the rest of Asia, not necessarily genetic. The guy doesn't look Eurasian at all. Maybe he does have European blood but it's very distant. A Filipino wouldn't get away with looking like that and calling himself a "mestizo" "Eurasian" whatever.

Yes, a few Dutch Indos did stay in Indonesia. Like these. And you can clearly see how much of outsiders they are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28EM2O431U0
The video (2:44) says there are only 80 Dutch Indos living in Jakarta and Bandung. It's not hard to see why almost the entire population decided to leave.

Last edited by manolopo; 11-27-2020 at 04:01 AM..

Old 11-28-2020, 07:07 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,500,489 times
Quote:

colonial white saviour inferiority complex vs followers of the foreign bedoiun ideology who have both forgotten the pagan ways of garuda and should be closed

It is an embarrassment to every asian

Old 01-01-2021, 05:24 AM

6 posts, read 5,791 times
Quote:

First of all, Happy New Year! Found this thread and thought I'd make an account on this website.

I was born and raised in the Philippines. I gotta tell you, the Spanish ancestry thing is exaggerated by most Filipinos. In general, yes Filipinos are still mainly of Austronesian/Malay descent. However, there still really is a very tiny community of Spanish families who are "visibly" (I mean, looks-wise) of Spanish descent. They can only be found however in the upper class of society, and they're very rich. The rest of the population, however, is similar or I would even say almost identical to Indonesia or Malaysia. Spanish Filipinos exist, but at the same time they only form a very very tiny portion of the population.

Old 01-01-2021, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableTurnedOff060 View Post
First of all, Happy New Year! Found this thread and thought I'd make an account on this website.

I was born and raised in the Philippines. I gotta tell you, the Spanish ancestry thing is exaggerated by most Filipinos. In general, yes Filipinos are still mainly of Austronesian/Malay descent. However, there still really is a very tiny community of Spanish families who are "visibly" (I mean, looks-wise) of Spanish descent. They can only be found however in the upper class of society, and they're very rich. The rest of the population, however, is similar or I would even say almost identical to Indonesia or Malaysia. Spanish Filipinos exist, but at the same time they only form a very very tiny portion of the population.
Being a mestizo (25%+ European) is rare in the Philippines. Like these people

You can only find them in very specific places in the Philippines. Or you might randomly see them out and about but you'll just assume they're foreigners. Yes, they're very rare.

But being mixed with smaller amounts of Spanish is not rare at all. Here's a huge 2015 study that tested 100,000 people, including 7,500 Asians- 1,700 of which were Filipinos. It’s the largest and newest genetic study on Filipinos. When the study talks about Asians, they specifically mention this about Filipinos—

“In addition, we noted that for self-reported Filipinos, a substantial proportion have modest levels of European genetic ancestry”
https://www.genetics.org/content/200/4/1285

That study doesnt go into the specific amount of European that the average Filipino has, but 5% admixture is their threshold for being admixed. So anything less than 5% of an ancestry, they do not consider as mixed. So the study says that a “substantial” portion of Filipinos have European admixture- which would mean they have at least 5% European. If the majority of Filipinos only have a small amount of European DNA, they're not going to look different at all from surrounding countries.

Here's a good example of that. She (left side) is a popular Tiktoker from the Philippines, and she does the voiceovers for Philippine Airlines. Her mother is on the right side. She's also Filipina and did PAL voiceovers in the past

She looks like a regular, average Filipina. She doesn't look European at all. But her mother looks at least 50% European.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71GYbbsFUeU

Here are the mother's parents

And here's her father. He looks more native Filipino- probably with very minimal European ancestry

This woman looks like a very native Filipina, even though she likely has at least 25% European from her mother's side and possibly a little from her father's side. If I saw her and she told me she was 25% Spanish, I would probably laugh at her. So the point is, we can't go by looks alone to determine admixture. And don't judge Filipinos who say they're part Spanish, because they really might be. Spanish culture and heritage might be important in their family

Last edited by manolopo; 01-01-2021 at 07:12 AM..

Old 01-01-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Please find me anywhere in this thread where I said Filipinos have significant Spanish blood. Filipinos don't have significant Spanish blood. The average Filipino is like 0.5 to 5% European. Being that much European won't make you look different from other Southeast Asians. I've seen a Filipino with 40% European on 23andme and he still looked Southeast Asian. So going by looks doesn't work for smaller amounts of ancestry. There are Filipinos with higher amounts of European, and they actually still live in the Philippines. "

The average middle to upper-middle-class Filipino has an average of 0.5 to 5% European. Filipinos on 23andme are Filipinos who can afford to pay $100 just like that ($100 is a LOT for an "average Filipino"). Therefore Filipinos on 23andme mostly belong to the upper-middle-class, and that is why Filipinos on there have some European blood.

Also, you provided some great examples of those Spanish Filipinos in previous entries. However, I actually recognize a lot of them, and they're kind of in the same family (LMAO). They're all each other's cousins, aunts, uncles, and in-laws. The Spanish Filipinos in the Philippines are all related to each other by marriage. They're definitely an established community, just very small and related to one another.

Old 01-01-2021, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableTurnedOff060 View Post
The average middle to upper-middle-class Filipino has an average of 0.5 to 5% European. Filipinos on 23andme are Filipinos who can afford to pay $100 just like that ($100 is a LOT for an "average Filipino"). Therefore Filipinos on 23andme mostly belong to the upper-middle-class, and that is why Filipinos on there have some European blood.

Also, you provided some great examples of those Spanish Filipinos in previous entries. However, I actually recognize a lot of them, and they're kind of in the same family (LMAO). They're all each other's cousins, aunts, uncles, and in-laws. The Spanish Filipinos in the Philippines are all related to each other by marriage. They're definitely an established community, just very small and related to one another.

I agree with your percent for the average Filipino. See my previous post. I provided a study NOT from 23andme. And the video has many different families. The Ayalas and Aboitizes are just the ones that everyone knows- and they only recently had an intermarriage. But the rest of the families are mostly unknown and not related to each other. They're not even from the same parts of the Philippines.

Also, 23andme doesn't even ship to the Philippines- where Spanish-Filipinos live. Filipinos migrating to the US and Canada (where 23andme ships) are largely middle-class Filipinos (because those are the ones who migrate most) and a large chunk are Ilocanos. So we're getting a very native Filipino population in the US. But yes, I agree with your statement that the average Filipino is 0.5 to 5% European. Research supports that.

Last edited by manolopo; 01-01-2021 at 07:08 AM..

Old 01-01-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Being a mestizo (25%+ European) is rare in the Philippines. Like these people

You can only find them in very specific places in the Philippines. Or you might randomly see them out and about but you'll just assume they're foreigners. Yes, they're very rare.

But being mixed with smaller amounts of Spanish is not rare at all. Here's a huge 2015 study that tested 100,000 people, including 7,500 Asians- 1,700 of which were Filipinos. It’s the largest and newest genetic study on Filipinos. When the study talks about Asians, they specifically mention this about Filipinos—

“In addition, we noted that for self-reported Filipinos, a substantial proportion have modest levels of European genetic ancestry”
https://www.genetics.org/content/200/4/1285

That study doesnt go into the specific amount of European that the average Filipino has, but 5% admixture is their threshold for being admixed. So anything less than 5% of an ancestry, they do not consider as mixed. So the study says that a “substantial” portion of Filipinos have European admixture- which would mean they have at least 5% European. If the majority of Filipinos only have a small amount of European DNA, they're not going to look different at all from surrounding countries.

Here's a good example of that. She (left side) is a Filipina tiktoker and does the voiceovers for Philippine Airlines. Her mother is on the right side. She's also Filipina and did PAL voiceovers in the past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71GYbbsFUeU

This woman looks like a very native Filipina, even though she likely has at least 25% European from her mother's side and possibly a little from her father's side. If I saw her and she told me she was 25% Spanish, I would probably laugh at her. So the point is, we can't go by looks alone to determine admixture. And don't judge Filipinos who say they're part Spanish, because they really might be. And Spanish culture and heritage might be important in their family

Oh yes, I know her! Her Tiktoks are really cool lmao. No idea she was mixed. Her last name is Tagalog.

In my high school in the Philippines, there were only about 5 classmates of mine who had that "mestizo look" (excluding the ones who were half Filipino hahaha). The rest of them were just stereotypically "Filipino" with some being Chinese-Filipino. Genetically though, I have no idea. Those who were stereotypically Filipino could have European blood.

Lol, whoever made that video probably did not know that they're all mostly related to each other. They all have >25% blood because they keep marrying into other rich Spanish families! It's hilarious actually. They're all from the Zobel de Ayala, Ortigas, Gutierrez (like Pilita Corrales-grandchildren-Gutierrez), Aboitiz, and other prominent Spanish Filipino families who have one way or another intermarried.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
And the video has many different families. The Ayalas and Aboitizes are just the ones that everyone knows- and they only recently had an intermarriage. But the rest of the families are mostly unknown and not related to each other. They're not even from the same parts of the Philippines.
I just watched the video. Would it be weird to say that I recognize 80% of the people in that video? Yes, the ZdA's and Aboitizes are the ones everyone knows (btw, Jaime Zobel and Marga Aboitiz isn't the only intermarriage between the two families hahaha). The rest, however, are not unknowns. They're all mostly "unknowns" and lowkey because the really rich families in the Philippines are super lowkey, especially the Spanish ones. Being flashy about being rich is very nouveau riche and they would hate that. They are also friends with each other, and even end up marrying into the families even though they're from different parts of the Philippines (Aboitiz - Cebu, ZdA - Manila). I would talk about the people I recognize in that video and say how they're connected/friends with each other, however for privacy reasons I won't.

Though, I might have overreacted a bit by saying ALL of them are related to each other hahaha. But believe me, when I say that the ZdA's, Aboitizes, and even the lowkey ones do know one other and form this very exclusive community. You have to be very into Philippine high society gossip and talk to know every single one of them in the video.

(I'm not into that stuff, just was surrounded by people who was! Hahahaha)

Last edited by TheCableTurnedOff060; 01-01-2021 at 07:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia