Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2022, 01:45 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Brazil sided with the West to condemn Russia actually... (even though the president said he would be neutral lol: https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/brazil-...urces/47380854) India is part of QUAD. I don't see how the west is going against Brazil or India

I think it's mostly shaping up to be NATO vs 19 members of the Group of Friends in Defense of the Charter of the United Nations :

Algeria, Angola, Belarus, Bolivia, Cambodia, China, Cuba, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Iran, North Korea, Laos, Nicaragua, Palestine, Russia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Syria, Venezuela, Zimbabwe

this grouping clearly has ALL most anti-Western countries in it (except I don't know why Saint Vincent and the Grenadines is with this group especially it continues to have Queen Elizabeth as symbolic head of state and has diplomatic tie with Taiwan). Angola also has decent ties with the U.S. as Biden invited them to the Democracy Summit last December.
It's my understanding that India is staying neutral, neither supporting or condemning the Russian invasion. It's interesting how China is reacting, one of Russia's largest allies, they also have to walk a fine line - they are invested in the EU heavily with their Silk Road initiatives. Ukraine is also a partner in regards to military purchases. Believe it or not, Chinese weapons are also being used against Russian forces.
China is obviously not condemning Russia's invasion, and publicly calling for peace to reign through the world. That's so inspiring isn't it? That's all BS of course, privately they will be the money launderer, so to speak, for Russia to avoid sanctions. And their internet and their 50 cent army of payed social media posters will provide plenty of propaganda in support of Russia.

Interesting that the US had a Human Rights council meeting today, with representatives from 40 nations. When the Russian Ambassador started a speech, there was a mass walk out of over 50 ambassadors. Remaining? - ambassadors from Syria, Venezuela and...you guessed it, China. Quite the esteemed company of human rights violators and general DB leaders that they keep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 05:53 PM

671 posts, read 315,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Well, once she was in power, the Green president grew up a little and stopped talking about T&A.
Even my Blue friends are not too unhappy with her leadership.

Despite some occasional bellicose rhetoric, mostly from the mainland, I think both sides prefer the status quo to what's happening in Ukraine.

The question is, where will Pooh Bear point his guns when he needs to distract from the inevitable internal crisis that eventually threatens to unseat every despot? The border with India? Japanese islands? Vietnamese fishing grounds? Or Taiwan?

The Russian fumble in Ukraine seems to be nudging Xi away from Taiwan (lest the Taiwanese react like the Ukrainians and make whatever future crisis he's facing much worse), and that's a good thing.
I think we will have to wait until the next election in tw to see what happens next, see if the cycle will be complete once again.

Old 03-01-2022, 09:30 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It's my understanding that India is staying neutral, neither supporting or condemning the Russian invasion. It's interesting how China is reacting, one of Russia's largest allies, they also have to walk a fine line - they are invested in the EU heavily with their Silk Road initiatives. Ukraine is also a partner in regards to military purchases. Believe it or not, Chinese weapons are also being used against Russian forces.
China is obviously not condemning Russia's invasion, and publicly calling for peace to reign through the world. That's so inspiring isn't it? That's all BS of course, privately they will be the money launderer, so to speak, for Russia to avoid sanctions. And their internet and their 50 cent army of payed social media posters will provide plenty of propaganda in support of Russia.

Interesting that the US had a Human Rights council meeting today, with representatives from 40 nations. When the Russian Ambassador started a speech, there was a mass walk out of over 50 ambassadors. Remaining? - ambassadors from Syria, Venezuela and...you guessed it, China. Quite the esteemed company of human rights violators and general DB leaders that they keep.
India is not being neutral. Imagine I see a woman being raped and I say nothing and do nothing. That's the position India has taken. But they have their reasons. They need Russia to deal with China. Only problem is dictators Xi and Putin are best friends.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:29 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
India is not being neutral. Imagine I see a woman being raped and I say nothing and do nothing. That's the position India has taken. But they have their reasons. They need Russia to deal with China. Only problem is dictators Xi and Putin are best friends.
Good point. Russia is a huge arms supplier to India and they as well are walking a fine line.
As a footnote you would think India would give up on Russian weapons after there dismal performance in recent aerial combat with Pakistan.

Old 03-02-2022, 09:45 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There's a huge difference between the military capabilities of Russia and China.
There is also a huge difference between driving over a land border with supporting guerilla forces already on the other side and an amphibious and airborne assaults' against a nation that had prepared for such an event for over 50 years. Even if the US Pacific Fleet said peace out and moved east at flank speed and China has an excess of son's with no chance at reproducing it would go much worse for the average People's Liberation Army assault troop would face much more firepower than a Russian troop in Ukraine.

Old 03-02-2022, 10:08 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
There is also a huge difference between driving over a land border with supporting guerilla forces already on the other side and an amphibious and airborne assaults' against a nation that had prepared for such an event for over 50 years. Even if the US Pacific Fleet said peace out and moved east at flank speed and China has an excess of son's with no chance at reproducing it would go much worse for the average People's Liberation Army assault troop would face much more firepower than a Russian troop in Ukraine.
Not to mention that the Russians have much more actual combat experience from "pacifying" Georgia and Chechnya, than the Chinese troops, who have only drilled and never really fought anyone since losing to Vietnam in 1979.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:28 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Well an all out amphibious invasion across miles of open sea is something that hasn’t been done on a large scale since World War II. The Chinese would have to dominate with both naval and air superiority.

At the time of the Normandy invasion in Europe the the allied forces had both air and sea control but still suffered significant casualties both on the landing beaches and the push out into the French interior.

Old 03-02-2022, 01:05 PM

1,651 posts, read 866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Good point. Russia is a huge arms supplier to India and they as well are walking a fine line.
As a footnote you would think India would give up on Russian weapons after there dismal performance in recent aerial combat with Pakistan.
It goes much deeper. At one point the U.S. wasn't exactly friendly to India, often taking the side of Pakistan, going to far as to impose sanctions on their nuclear program. The U.S. only started to change its tone after Pakistan made it angry during the Afghanistan War, and China started to be viewed as a threat. We will see how long it last. I'm sure India prefers to balance its national interest as do most nations around the world. Russia (and before that the Soviet Union) maintained good and friendly relations with India. Supplying military arms and some technical know-how. Wouldn't make since for them to abandon the relationship. As I stated earlier the world doesn't equate solely to Europe. Plenty of countries are taking the neutral route.

Old 03-02-2022, 10:20 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,073,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paypeeto69 View Post
It's barely day 3 of the invasion.
Now it is more than a week and they haven't even started taking Kyiv and has also failed to take Kharkiv.

Do you still believe Taipei will fall in a few days?

Old 03-02-2022, 10:31 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Now it is more than a week
Can't believe how much has changed in a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia