Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2022, 03:11 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,992,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
I guess I'm the only one that finds this hysterical. "Welcome India to our alliance. Now here is your welcome gift some economic sanctions.” You can't make this stuff up. I'm sure India is thinking "with allies like this who needs enemies."

Just a warning to any Indian nationals who may happen to stumble onto this forum. This is what comes with being an ally of the Western World. They will praise you when you serve their interest, but the moment you go against their wishes or refuse to except their dominance, you will become public enemy #1. Ask Japan (Plaza Accords) or look at current U.S. China relations. I’m sure they are loading up the Kashmir region as a weapon. There will endless lines about “how India is committing cultural genocide or oppressing the Kashmiri people. Pakistan is next door, so I’m sure they are going to utilize them to antagonize your country by selling weapons, performing military exercises, and supporting Kashmir liberation movements. Just something to think about.
I like your posts although I don't always agree.

Pakistan used F16's in it's skirmish with India a few years ago, something they were not supposed to do, and were somewhat ***** slapped for it by the US. Yeah, it wasn't really that much I know, but they were put on notice. India just needs to buy US weapons.
I don't really read much in media, social or otherwise, critical of India in the Kashmir dispute. It's actually Pakistan that raises suspicion, obviously because of there support in some Pakistani political factions for Afghan insurgency. The US knows that Pakistan is two-faced...we know it.
In terms of Russia/Ukraine, it really doesn't make that much of a difference. Both China and India abstained from the vote to condemn Russia. The different is China is going to step further by aiding and abetting them. Credible report out today say that Xi and Putin had an agreement before the olympics to not invade until after the olympics. Like I said China will be the money launderer for Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 04:32 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,039,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
PRC and ROC, that's fine. The point is that they are both C. The former C wants to make sure the latter C remains a C, and not turn into a T or an A.
According to your logic, the U.S. should remain a part of Britain. After all, the early immigrants were all from England. In Taiwan's case, it was the Portuguese that developed Taiwan (Formosa) by importing labor from Fujian, China but they only imported MEN, not women. So these imported Chinese men married Portuguese women and the Native Taiwanese women (who later identified as having the same DNA as the Polynesian in Hawaii). So one could argue although the initial Taiwanese came from China but there was enough intermarriage that it's bloodlines is diversified enough not being pure Chinese.

Also after 50 years of colonial occupation by Japan, Taiwan's culture was more Japanese than Chinese when KMT inherited Taiwan after WW-II. The Taiwanese were far more civilized than the KMT soldiers who were recruited straight out of the countryside in China. They were untrained, undisciplined, uneducated , and were totally lawless. There were protests by the Taiwanese but KMT crushed these protests through the power of its military and secret police, and continued its dictatorial rule until 1990s.

When you argue that Taiwan should be a part of China, I argue that culturally and historically, Taiwan was never a part of China. It has its own unique blend of culture to call its own.

The people of Taiwan should decide if they should remain a part of China or becoming an independent nation. That is the right for self determination. The U.S., Japan, S. Korea and Australia will support Taiwan's decision out of the common strategic interests.

When the KMT first inherited Taiwan from Japan, Chiang Kai-Shek still had the dream to take back the whole China. 70 years later, this is still in the KMT's platform. It's time to change and adapt.

Last edited by HB2HSV; 03-03-2022 at 05:02 PM..

Old 03-03-2022, 07:11 PM

8,883 posts, read 8,515,556 times
^It wasn’t the Portuguese. It was the Dutch. No one married Dutch women btw, some Dutch men married (well probably not really married; more like raped or simply ****ed) native formosans but I don’t think there were many instances. Even if there were the migrants from China were so numerous that the Dutch gene amongst modern Taiwanese is negligible. Some locals now have reddish hair or lighter eyes and if you look into their family tree you might find a dutch great great great grandfather, but they are very few in numbers and those features are not really noticeable from afar either

Last edited by Greysholic; 03-03-2022 at 07:40 PM..

Old 03-03-2022, 08:03 PM
pdw

2,728 posts, read 3,145,061 times
Did the Japanese not view the locals of Taiwan as “Chinese” during the occupation? It’s very peculiar that while unprecedented levels of extreme brutality against the Chinese people was occurring just across the Taiwan strait (not to mention against the Koreans) that the people Taiwan were treated so well. I could be wrong, but don’t many elderly Hokkien speakers have a sort of nostalgia about the Japanese era? Chiang, like Stalin, is a controversial historical figure as he is responsible for many atrocities but also stood up to a horrible dictator that wanted to conquer and oppress his people. A lot have things have been brought to light about Winston Churchill’s actions in this era as well, if I’m not mistaken. This stuff was never taught in schools here in Canada. I hope one day we can have a more refined approach to history and an acknowledgement of the complexity of historical figures from an era with very different ways of thinking.

Old 03-03-2022, 08:25 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,039,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
^It wasn’t the Portuguese. It was the Dutch. No one married Dutch women btw,
You're right. It was the Dutch.

But You're wrong about nobody married Dutch woman. A Taiwanese girl I knew her great grandmother was Dutch. She has slightly redish hair.

But you were just expressing your opinion understandably. Glad you didn't argue about Taiwan's culture diversity that can be called uniquely Taiwanese.

Chiang Kai-Shek & the KMT lost China to Mao because they were incompetent & corrupt. Meantime the Japanese treated Taiwanese well as they considered the Taiwanese a part of Japan. The Taiwanese were trained by the Japanese in all areas of government such as banking, electric power, agriculture, etc. But when the KMT came to Taiwan they took over all major infrastructure and gave jobs to their cronies. The Taiwanese had no choice but look into international commerce and export for their own survival and that has brought the economic prosperity today in Taiwan.

Old 03-03-2022, 09:49 PM

8,883 posts, read 8,515,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Did the Japanese not view the locals of Taiwan as “Chinese” during the occupation?
Japanese war crimes were not race-oriented, unlike Nazi Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
You're right. It was the Dutch.

But You're wrong about nobody married Dutch woman. A Taiwanese girl I knew her great grandmother was Dutch. She has slightly redish hair.
Very few, if any, did. In the Dutch colonial days the colonisers were mostly men. Few women would travel with the VOC. But sure there were probably some instances.

Quote:
But you were just expressing your opinion understandably. Glad you didn't argue about Taiwan's culture diversity that can be called uniquely Taiwanese.
No one would argue that in Taiwan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
It’s very peculiar that while unprecedented levels of extreme brutality against the Chinese people was occurring just across the Taiwan strait (not to mention against the Koreans) that the people Taiwan were treated so well. I could be wrong, but don’t many elderly Hokkien speakers have a sort of nostalgia about the Japanese era? Chiang, like Stalin, is a controversial historical figure as he is responsible for many atrocities but also stood up to a horrible dictator that wanted to conquer and oppress his people. A lot have things have been brought to light about Winston Churchill’s actions in this era as well, if I’m not mistaken. This stuff was never taught in schools here in Canada. I hope one day we can have a more refined approach to history and an acknowledgement of the complexity of historical figures from an era with very different ways of thinking.
Quote:
Chiang Kai-Shek & the KMT lost China to Mao because they were incompetent & corrupt. Meantime the Japanese treated Taiwanese well as they considered the Taiwanese a part of Japan. The Taiwanese were trained by the Japanese in all areas of government such as banking, electric power, agriculture, etc. But when the KMT came to Taiwan they took over all major infrastructure and gave jobs to their cronies. The Taiwanese had no choice but look into international commerce and export for their own survival and that has brought the economic prosperity today in Taiwan.
Japanese colonisers did not treat Taiwanese well. They were quite bad too, just not as bad as the way Koreans were treated and not as bad as Chiang and his sack of **** KMT cronies. There was a lot of discrimination and at the beginning there was a lot of brutality as well, though they kind of eased into it and became more benevolent towards the end.

Old 03-03-2022, 10:18 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,098,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
PRC and ROC, that's fine. The point is that they are both C. The former C wants to make sure the latter C remains a C, and not turn into a T or an A.
The one-China policy states
There is only one sovereign state under the name China and Taiwan is a part of China, as opposed to the idea that there are two separate sovereign states, the People's Republic of China (PRC) and the Republic of China (ROC)
Hence PRC is not okay with the PRC and ROC. They believe PRC is the legitimate government and ROC is unlawfully controlling Taiwan.

Old 03-03-2022, 10:21 PM
pdw

2,728 posts, read 3,145,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
There is only one sovereign state under the name China and Taiwan is a part of China, as opposed to the idea that there are two separate sovereign states, the People's Republic of China (PRC) and the Republic of China (ROC)
Hence PRC is not okay with the PRC and ROC. They want PRC to control everything.
Don’t the two Koreas see each other the same way? Why is it so controversial?
It really seems like they moved the goalposts. Athletes from Taiwan can’t even compete with their own flag at the Olympics (the same flag that flew over the mainland for close to 40 years) How far up their ***** are the CCPs heads that they get offended by people acknowledging the reality that there are two de facto independent states called “China”? There’s 3 Guineas in Africa, I don’t see them going insane at the UN over it

Old 03-03-2022, 11:09 PM

65 posts, read 48,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Hence PRC is not okay with the PRC and ROC. They believe PRC is the legitimate government and ROC is unlawfully controlling Taiwan.
International treaties (like the one signed with America) state there is one china and BOTH PRC and ROC recognize this. but each see themselves as the legitimate government. So Taiwan also sees itself as having the right to rule the mainland.

Having lived in China for 11 years I find many mainlanders don't know this and just assume America agreed to PRC version of the one china policy.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:18 PM

65 posts, read 48,826 times
If there is something good that happened in the last week or so it is the fact that many people seem to support Ukraine on social media in China. Yes, the CCP will support Russia (somewhat quietly) but they are watching. They see how Putin has lost so much face on the international stage. They see how united the west has become over this invasion. I think it might push back the effort of China to invade Taiwan.

An invasion attempt will happen eventually (if a peaceful reunification can't be achieved) but I think China will be cautious and try to wait until they are stronger (maybe 10 years down the road).

The idea of an invasion of such a massive population, who all have cell phones, is scary. The PRC can't try to save civilians or hope for a welcome mat like Putin did. They would need to destroy the population of Taiwan and that would make them lose face for a thousand years. Remember the invasion of Tibet was never televised...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia