Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2022, 12:05 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,089,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Don’t the two Koreas see each other the same way? Why is it so controversial?
It really seems like they moved the goalposts. Athletes from Taiwan can’t even compete with their own flag at the Olympics (the same flag that flew over the mainland for close to 40 years) How far up their ***** are the CCPs heads that they get offended by people acknowledging the reality that there are two de facto independent states called “China”? There’s 3 Guineas in Africa, I don’t see them going insane at the UN over it
Yes, it's the exact same story in Korea.

The reason is different is because China is a very valuable trading partner and China insisted that Taiwan should not be recognized. Totally agreeing to China was not acceptable, hence the USA agreed to the one-China policy.

For a long time, China did not make a big deal out if it, but recently they have tried to tighten the screws which have backfired on China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morientes50 View Post
International treaties (like the one signed with America) state there is one china and BOTH PRC and ROC recognize this. but each see themselves as the legitimate government. So Taiwan also sees itself as having the right to rule the mainland.

Having lived in China for 11 years I find many mainlanders don't know this and just assume America agreed to PRC version of the one china policy.
Its not just China, I even see some confusion in the west. The USA made a big mistake signing that agreement as it was easily abused for propaganda purposes by the CCP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morientes50 View Post
If there is something good that happened in the last week or so it is the fact that many people seem to support Ukraine on social media in China. Yes, the CCP will support Russia (somewhat quietly) but they are watching. They see how Putin has lost so much face on the international stage. They see how united the west has become over this invasion. I think it might push back the effort of China to invade Taiwan.

An invasion attempt will happen eventually (if a peaceful reunification can't be achieved) but I think China will be cautious and try to wait until they are stronger (maybe 10 years down the road).
After the Russia Ukraine invasion, I don't think there will be an invasion at all. Russia will either go into a full economic collapse or it will replace Putin and see a deep recession. In comparison, the west will get much more united and increase military spending. In either scenario, Russia will not be a partner that China can depend on and they will have to do it alone against a better-armed and united west. It makes the war much riskier.

And China is not going to be much stronger in 10 years as it is heading for a demographic cliff and the economy is running out of steam. Building 6 million apartments every year for a country with zero population growth and 90% home ownership rate does not make sense. And if China stop building apartments, then around 20% of China's GDP is gone.

Old 03-04-2022, 03:17 AM

8,877 posts, read 8,487,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
For a long time, China did not make a big deal out if it, but recently they have tried to tighten the screws which have backfired on China.
That is completely untrue. China always makes a big deal out of it no mattter under which president.

Old 03-04-2022, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
That is completely untrue. China always makes a big deal out of it no mattter under which president.
The first time I was in China was in 2010. It was considered a small issue at that time, nothing like today.

Old 03-04-2022, 06:17 AM

Quote:
The first time I was in China was in 2010. It was considered a small issue at that time, nothing like today.
You were a tourist. Why would they care what you think about Taiwan.

China has always been extremely unreasonable about Taiwanese statehood. That has never changed since 1949.

Old 03-04-2022, 06:39 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,957,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
You were a tourist. Why would they care what you think about Taiwan.

China has always been extremely unreasonable about Taiwanese statehood. That has never changed since 1949.
Greysholic (or anyone posting from Taiwan) curious: What do you think about the term "Greater China" to refer to China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. Do your countrymen resent that term? We (global international company) use it in business communication but I am thinking about a subtle protest of sorts by using "China, and Taiwan" in my reports and communication to these teams.

Old 03-04-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Greysholic (or anyone posting from Taiwan) curious: What do you think about the term "Greater China" to refer to China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. Do your countrymen resent that term? We (global international company) use it in business communication but I am thinking about a subtle protest of sorts by using "China, and Taiwan" in my reports and communication to these teams.
I personally don't like it, but I don't think most people mind it much. It's not really that different from using North America to refer to Canada and the US or using British Isles to refer to Britain and Ireland.

You can also protest by just putting Taiwan under "rest of Asia" or something. I think many businesses do that. Or they single out Japan/Korea/Taiwan/Singapore/HK as developed Asia or something.

Old 03-04-2022, 10:49 AM

1,664 posts, read 883,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I like your posts although I don't always agree.

Pakistan used F16's in it's skirmish with India a few years ago, something they were not supposed to do, and were somewhat ***** slapped for it by the US. Yeah, it wasn't really that much I know, but they were put on notice. India just needs to buy US weapons.
I don't really read much in media, social or otherwise, critical of India in the Kashmir dispute. It's actually Pakistan that raises suspicion, obviously because of there support in some Pakistani political factions for Afghan insurgency. The US knows that Pakistan is two-faced...we know it.
In terms of Russia/Ukraine, it really doesn't make that much of a difference. Both China and India abstained from the vote to condemn Russia. The different is China is going to step further by aiding and abetting them. Credible report out today say that Xi and Putin had an agreement before the olympics to not invade until after the olympics. Like I said China will be the money launderer for Russia.

Thanks for the compliment. I just try to bring a touch balance and different perspective to these matters. I learned about the dangers of nationalist group think from the Iraq war and try not to succumb to fear mongering and propaganda. It can cause serious damage to the country's reputation and wellbeing. It's best to look at foreign affairs objectively.

Regarding the report, I have serious doubts. These so-called creditable reports only seem to come from western sources. They are propaganda tools. Appears they are trying to link China to the invasion in any form or fashion to hurt its image. Such reports can never be proved nor disapproved therefore making them great for people manipulation. Applying a level of common sense to the matter. Why would Putin tell China when he was going to invade? You don't share such intel. Loose lips sink ships. It is probable China requested Putin not take any actions against Ukraine during the Olympics. I imagine Putin complied out of need and to some degree respect for Xi.

You also must look at it from India's perspective. Becoming a U.S. ally only serves the U.S. and some European nations interest long term. In foreign affairs balance is always best. You become too reliant or link your interest to one nation, their problems becomes yours and you become beholden to that nation.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:00 AM

1,664 posts, read 883,349 times
Quote:
Its not just China, I even see some confusion in the west. The USA made a big mistake signing that agreement as it was easily abused for propaganda purposes by the CCP.

After the Russia Ukraine invasion, I don't think there will be an invasion at all. Russia will either go into a full economic collapse or it will replace Putin and see a deep recession. In comparison, the west will get much more united and increase military spending. In either scenario, Russia will not be a partner that China can depend on and they will have to do it alone against a better-armed and united west. It makes the war much riskier.

And China is not going to be much stronger in 10 years as it is heading for a demographic cliff and the economy is running out of steam. Building 6 million apartments every year for a country with zero population growth and 90% home ownership rate does not make sense. And if China stop building apartments, then around 20% of China's GDP is gone.
Out of curiosity are you one of those posters who made predictions about China attacking Taiwan the same time Russia attacked Ukraine. If so, you should be banned from making more predictions.

Also, I heard this economic collapse talk from posters before when it came to Iran and Venezuela. Their economies are more self-sufficient, and are actually growing. The same leaders are still in power. The West needs to be careful with treating sanctions as the "big stick" Eventually that stick breaks down. Just something to think about.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:47 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,786,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
Out of curiosity are you one of those posters who made predictions about China attacking Taiwan the same time Russia attacked Ukraine. If so, you should be banned from making more predictions.

Also, I heard this economic collapse talk from posters before when it came to Iran and Venezuela. Their economies are more self-sufficient, and are actually growing. The same leaders are still in power. The West needs to be careful with treating sanctions as the "big stick" Eventually that stick breaks down. Just something to think about.
Some western governments are very eager to "create" enemies.
Few if any countries really want to be an enemy of the US, but US government and the media keep pushing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia