Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2023, 02:39 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,335,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao View Post
it's not anything replacing dollar.
it's dollar losing status as "exclusive" currency.

the day when every single international exchange using dollar is gone and not coming back.
Malaysia is toying with a decade old proposal to create an Asian Monetary Fund to reduce dependency on the dollar.
Taking lessons from Russian sanctions, Indonesia is ditching Mastercard and Visa.
Strange world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2023, 12:40 AM

14,487 posts, read 20,671,714 times
Are there any travel or passport restrictions for Taiwanese citizens or businesses? Population is near 24 million people.
Thanks.

Old 04-19-2023, 12:11 PM

671 posts, read 316,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Are there any travel or passport restrictions for Taiwanese citizens or businesses? Population is near 24 million people.
Thanks.
no, it's actually less restrictive than a prc passport.

the problem is when they run into troubles aboard, they have to decide whether to seek help from prc.

those green frogs would have to choose between a backbone and their wellbeing.

Old 04-19-2023, 08:20 PM

Would a confrontation over Taiwan causes 1000's if not 10's of thousands of lives lost even remotely equal to the issues in Ukraine?
As an American I am concerned about the loss of life and how such a conflict could pull in that idiot in N. Korea. I know people are willing to die to protect their country but at some point the shedding of blood needs to stop. I have a bizarre idea on a China takeover of Taiwan and how to prevent the deaths. I'll post it once there are some more comments on the matter.

Old 04-20-2023, 07:00 AM

711 posts, read 295,457 times
Quote:
Would a confrontation over Taiwan causes 1000's if not 10's of thousands of lives lost even remotely equal to the issues in Ukraine?
As an American I am concerned about the loss of life and how such a conflict could pull in that idiot in N. Korea. I know people are willing to die to protect their country but at some point the shedding of blood needs to stop. I have a bizarre idea on a China takeover of Taiwan and how to prevent the deaths. I'll post it once there are some more comments on the matter.
I suspect the US government will use the Ukraine invasion as a model. That is, militarily support Taiwan up to but not including US boots on the ground. That seems to be working in Ukraine albeit with no end game plan, as Russia seems willing to indefinitely continue with hostilities and doesn't care about casualties. Taiwan also is not Ukraine, with the ability to fall back and regroup when territory is lost. If PRC gains a foothold on the beach in Taiwan and land some heavies (tanks and artillery), it's pretty much over.
The advantage here is Taiwan, like Ukraine, is willing to fight hard. And they have a modern high tech military. A sea invasion is tough. So the mere act of strengthening their defenses with the most high-tech US equipment may be enough. The Taiwan straight will be a Chinese graveyard.

Old 04-20-2023, 07:17 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,077,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
I suspect the US government will use the Ukraine invasion as a model. That is, militarily support Taiwan up to but not including US boots on the ground. That seems to be working in Ukraine albeit with no end game plan, as Russia seems willing to indefinitely continue with hostilities and doesn't care about casualties. Taiwan also is not Ukraine, with the ability to fall back and regroup when territory is lost. If PRC gains a foothold on the beach in Taiwan and land some heavies (tanks and artillery), it's pretty much over.
The advantage here is Taiwan, like Ukraine, is willing to fight hard. And they have a modern high tech military. A sea invasion is tough. So the mere act of strengthening their defenses with the most high-tech US equipment may be enough. The Taiwan straight will be a Chinese graveyard.
Conpared to Ukraine, Taiwan has some advantages but it also has a major disadvantage.It is not possible for Russia to cut off Ukraine, but it is possible for China to cut off Taiwan.

Doing the same as in Ukraine will almost certainly lead to Taiwan being forced to give up. Hence, Xi hopes that the USA won't get involved so it can "peacefully" take the island.

To stop China, the USA will have to sink Chinese ships trying to blockade Taiwan. But doing this will infuriate the CCP and lead to a larger scale war.

Old 04-20-2023, 08:55 AM

1,651 posts, read 869,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Conpared to Ukraine, Taiwan has some advantages but it also has a major disadvantage.It is not possible for Russia to cut off Ukraine, but it is possible for China to cut off Taiwan.

Doing the same as in Ukraine will almost certainly lead to Taiwan being forced to give up. Hence, Xi hopes that the USA won't get involved so it can "peacefully" take the island.

To stop China, the USA will have to sink Chinese ships trying to blockade Taiwan. But doing this will infuriate the CCP and lead to a larger scale war.
Valid points. Taiwan is an island. While this gives them certain advantages, it also presents major obstacles to implementing a Ukraine type strategy. Ukraine shares a border with NATO members on its western side allowing for easy supply routes. Since Taiwan is an island getting additional weapons, vital military equipment, and food would have to involve ships and airplanes. The island is so close to China those ships and planes would be in the range of anti-aircraft and anti-ship systems.

Old 04-20-2023, 01:13 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,705,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
Valid points. Taiwan is an island. While this gives them certain advantages, it also presents major obstacles to implementing a Ukraine type strategy. Ukraine shares a border with NATO members on its western side allowing for easy supply routes. Since Taiwan is an island getting additional weapons, vital military equipment, and food would have to involve ships and airplanes. The island is so close to China those ships and planes would be in the range of anti-aircraft and anti-ship systems.
This harkens back to the Cuban missile crisis. When the US proposed to quarantine shipments of offensive weapons to Cuba, the PRC responded by saying that they stood with Cuba.

Offensive shipments of nuclear missile components from the Soviets were turned back, because the Soviet Navy could not force their way through the quarantine. Regular supply ships still disembarked their cargo in Cuba.

The difference with a Taiwan blockade is that the PLAN can't physically stop supply ships from landing at Taiwan harbors unless the USN allows it. That means that the PLA will either have to declare that they will fire on any ship (including regular supply ships) with the hope of intimidating them into turning back, or actually start shooting at US-flagged ships in international or Taiwanese waters. That would be a clear act of war and certainly draw the US and allies into the conflict on the side of Taiwan. There would be little effect on the ability of the West to supply arms to Taiwan, as the PLA won’t have air superiority over Taiwan or its territorial waters, and they certainly won’t have air superiority over international waters to the East of Taiwan.

It’s a catch-22 for the PRC. The best they can hope is that the US and allies will be so risk-averse that they won’t ignore a declared blockade.

Good luck with that when the PRC is trying to starve out an island of 30+ million people, as well as cutting off the world’s supply of semiconductors. Even with nuclear missiles stationed 90 miles from Florida, JFK wasn’t willing to declare a total blockade, for fear of provoking the Soviets. Public sentiment against China is already very strong in the USA. A blockade would give the hawks carte blanche to tell the USN to go ahead and run the blockade, engaging any PLAN forces that decide to start shooting.

It’s really not that much different from Russia’s position. They could try (or threaten) missile attacks on NATO convoys moving goods into Western Ukraine, but all that would do would solidify NATO support forevermore.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the PRC declared a “quarantine” of Taiwan, but it is assured that the US will call their bluff, and it will end up as--at best--an embarrassment for China and--at worst--a blue-water engagement between the PLAN and the USN. We all know the result of that is a foregone conclusion.

As always, lets hope nobody does anything that stupid.

Old 04-20-2023, 06:14 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,335,158 times
Quote:
Too late.
The locals have reported seeing US troops checking into the local Marriott Hotel.

~ youtube.com/watch?v=lEyawrNwyQM
U.S. Sends Troops To Taiwan!
Apr 20, 2023

~ youtube.com/watch?v=ij7BhtFgczE
Washington Is Determined To Turn Taiwan Into The Next Ukraine
Apr 19, 2023

Old 04-21-2023, 07:36 PM

10 year moratorium. From January 1, 2024- December 31, 2034 all Taiwanese citizens can leave the country and live in any country they desire and of course countries that would accept them.
Same for all Taiwanese businesses.

Those who wish to stay will live under Chinese rule or die fighting,
When January 1, 2035 arrives China moves in and takes the island, If I had "my way" all would leave and Xi would end up with nothing but a deserted island. Not one single death due to the takeover.

Now most of the worry in the world is that Taiwan Semi Conductor which is in about every device we buy world wide and may be the word's most needed company is going to be used in some way. One article said China would surround the island militarily so TSM is cut off.
TSM needs to relocate to another country NOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia