Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider yourself an agnostic or atheist?
agnostic 57 36.54%
atheist 99 63.46%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 PM

84 posts, read 124,670 times

Advertisements

Throughout life I like many people have pondered the big questions. "Who are we" "Why are we here? How were we created? What is the point?"

I was born a Christian-an Anglican specifically. At the age of five I started to see flaws in the idea of God. In elementary school I researched Buddhism and in Middle School I was a hardcore atheist. I reconnected with some idea of God through Islam and Christianity again, yet I felt disconnected and eventually I abandoned it.

The fact of the matter is that I, a mere man, can and will never know what is out there. I will never know if God is just a story humans created or perhaps truly the creator of what we have. I believe the truth is in layers; more complicated than any of us can understand. I can not absolutely say for sure what is real and what isn't and it is that reason that I call myself an Agnostic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 02:36 AM

50,141 posts, read 20,922,483 times
I suppose the reaction would be to ask 'As an agnostic do you think the god -claims believable or not?' If not, then you are atheist, whether or no. And yet I can understand the position of those who feel that they would prefer not to adopt what is actually a logical mandatory position and say 'I really don't know'.

The problem there is whether one would then engage in religious pursuits on the off -chance that it it true or not.

Which do you do?

Old 07-08-2013, 09:14 AM

27,829 posts, read 28,948,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude of Gwinnett View Post
Throughout life I like many people have pondered the big questions. "Who are we" "Why are we here? How were we created? What is the point?"

The fact of the matter is that I, a mere man, can and will never know what is out there. I will never know if God is just a story humans created or perhaps truly the creator of what we have. I believe the truth is in layers; more complicated than any of us can understand. I can not absolutely say for sure what is real and what isn't and it is that reason that I call myself an Agnostic.
From a scientific standpoint - we know that humans are life forms that have evolved on earth over hundreds of millions of years from non-human life forms. This is how we were "created." Beyond that, there is no evidence of any inherent purpose to our being here. We have the capacity to create our own purposes.

The real question is - Do you accept the reality that a supernatural being who created our universe also created human life and sent his only son to die for our sins because he loves us and cares for us that much?

If the answer is no, then that means you don't believe in the Christian God.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:15 PM

84 posts, read 124,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
From a scientific standpoint - we know that humans are life forms that have evolved on earth over hundreds of millions of years from non-human life forms. This is how we were "created." Beyond that, there is no evidence of any inherent purpose to our being here. We have the capacity to create our own purposes.

The real question is - Do you accept the reality that a supernatural being who created our universe also created human life and sent his only son to die for our sins because he loves us and cares for us that much?

If the answer is no, then that means you don't believe in the Christian God.
The rejection of a Christian God does not automatically equate to atheism or agnosticism-otherwise anyone who follows another God would be atheist. Evolution has definitely shown how we and other species have evolved since our time on Earth.

The question is where did the first cell come from? Where did the gas before the Big Bang come from? It is the unknown-the uncertainty that allows the reservation of belief. These are questions we will likely never have an answer to.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:00 PM

27,829 posts, read 28,948,727 times
Quote:
The rejection of a Christian God does not automatically equate to atheism or agnosticism-otherwise anyone who follows another God would be atheist. Evolution has definitely shown how we and other species have evolved since our time on Earth.

The question is where did the first cell come from? Where did the gas before the Big Bang come from? It is the unknown-the uncertainty that allows the reservation of belief. These are questions we will likely never have an answer to.
Most other religions have beliefs about one or more supernatural beings, interactions between humans and these beings and often incarnations of them as well. Without a supernatural aspect, there really is no religion.

As far as where the first cell came from - even though current knowledge about this is limited, do you suppose this event had a supernatural explanation or a scientific explanation? We do have evidence of organic molecules which exist in interstellar space. More importantly, amino acids which make up DNA have been discovered in meteorites. Scientists also understand the process by which RNA molecules become self-replicating. So, these are all pieces of the puzzle which are slowly coming together and may provide an answer to the question some day.

As for what caused the big bang - this is perhaps the last reserve of God of the gaps. But some theoretical physicists hypothesize that our universe came from nothing. But I ask you this - even if this first cause God does exist, how is this relevant to our life and reality? Do you think hardly anybody cares about this God?

Old 07-08-2013, 07:32 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,228,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post

That's pretty much my position. As I said in another post I think of myself as a highly-doubtful agnostic: While I don't think it's possible to know for certain, since there's a complete lack of physical evidence of god's existence and it's impossible to prove or even find evidence for a negative (something that has never existed) I'm highly doubtful.

I try to be humble, so I like to think I'm open to new evidence. If in fact the clouds parted and Jesus or some other deity appeared, and it didn't turn out to be an elaborate hoax, I would humby acknowledge that I was wrong. However, in light of something like that, or some other extraordinary evidence, I'm highly doubtful. Does that make me almost an atheist?
You not currently having an active belief in any particular god, is what makes you an atheist.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:36 PM

50,141 posts, read 20,922,483 times
Quote:

That is quite true. Anthony Flew was a noted example of a former strong atheist who, on being presented with convincing evidence of Intelligent Design, announced that he could no longer call himself atheist.

That should answer a lot of questions about atheism.

However, he was no more religious than he was before and certainly not Christian, churchgoing or worshipping. A creative god was just for him a fact of nature.

To address your second point, ID turned out to be a crock and Flew had been fooled. The question of biological origins and cosmic origins are still wide open open. Technically, when we don't know one way or the other whether a god dunnit or not, we ought to reserve belief until we do know. That is all that one needs to be atheist.

To believe in goddunnit when one does not know is an illogical position. It is an understandable one in view of a lot of cultural religious baggage and the tendency to pop 'God' in as an explanation for everything that doesn't have one.

It is intellectually illegitimate to plaster the 'God' label onto the process by which everything came about, because the 'nature' label is just as valid, given the ongoing argument about what 'intelligence' is.

All that is however an intellectual argument and Faith or religion has no place in it. Unless some convincing proof of an Intelligence beyond the forces that grow crystals, form snowflakes and cause unstable isotopes to radiate particles is produced, the cosmic/biological origins discussion is best conducted from an agnostic standpoint rather than from a Godfaith standpoint.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-08-2013 at 11:46 PM..

Old 07-09-2013, 04:16 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,237,494 times
As for origins, apart from musing over it on forums, there are really only two realistic positions to take;
  1. I/we don't know
  2. Does it really matter?

Old 07-09-2013, 10:39 AM

20,285 posts, read 13,671,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
As for origins, apart from musing over it on forums, there are really only two realistic positions to take;
  1. I/we don't know
  2. Does it really matter?
^ That's it in a nutshell, alright.

An absent or indifferent god is no different in practice from no god at all. And it might be unwise to attract the attention of a god who is not all-benevolent. BibleGod gives evidence of malevolence, indifference, and at least intermittent absence even in his own holy book, but for me the clincher is that even if "we don't know" weren't in the picture, my reality plays out exactly as one would expect if god were not meaningfully engaged with humanity generally or me in particular, therefore, that is how I order my life.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:02 PM

354 posts, read 305,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DJ View Post
I wasn't using the more modern A-theist definition, I was using the older Athe-ist definition (strong Atheist, the linguistically correct definition, as the root word is Atheos, not Theos). And, I think it's the newer definition that has mucked up the simplicity of the issue. Broadening definitions conveys less information Atheist now has two definitions, both A-theist and Athe-ist.
As far as I'm concern the modern usage is really all that matters. The root of the word is theist/theism, which is widely defined as a god believer. The "a" can be literally translated as "not", just as in similar usages like apolitical, atypical, asexual, asymmetrical, and so on. By introducing archaic forms, I believe it is you that is broadening the typical definition of the word and adding meaning (or insisting it mean something else) that isn't present today. An atheist is simply a person who is not a god believer. Sure, they can also believe no gods exist (the strong position as some call it, which by the way includes having no god belief), but that's not what the word alone linguistically implies in its modern, typical usage.

I prefer the short hand of "atheist" to writing out "I am not a god believer". I can of course revert to spelling it out completely if it's simpler for some to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism