Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2020, 05:53 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,327,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
That may be true but in order to believe the claims of the Bible you have to move into persuasion where you build a case for the need of human redemption. You use part observation and part stories. The observation part is all the bad stuff happening in the world. Then the Bible stories are used to identify the source of the problems as well as provide the solution. For a person like me to believe this, they have to be persuaded into the concept of "faith". That would be my faith in you wanting the best for me.

Have you considered that if a person was willing to believe what you say about the Bible, what is stopping them from believing others who may also want the best for them?
There is nothing stopping man from believing whatever he chooses about God.

Not even Satan can do it.

God has given man free will, along with that comes the responsibility of that free will.

In other words you have no excuse for getting it wrong.

Old 12-31-2020, 05:54 AM

7,598 posts, read 4,171,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
Transponder I can convince you of nothing. I can only show you in scripture where the golden rule came from.

Jesus Himself said it.

Matthew 7:12

Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

I can't convince you of your claim that God is a baby murderer. You will have your chance along with everyone else to take this up with God.
That quote was used to abuse me as a child. Oh, Elyn02, you want me to be nice to you, then you need to be nice to me.

It might hold true in normal environments though.

Old 12-31-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:

God has given man free will, along with that comes the responsibility of that free will.

I do have an "excuse" for getting it wrong. I wasn't born perfect. And, we also don't really know what something is without knowing what it is not.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:00 AM

16,705 posts, read 15,701,811 times
Quote:
Yes, I see that's true.

What we Christians wish on others has already happened to us, that's why we wish it for others.

I guess it seems we are trying to force the issue, but we don't mean it that way.

Most atheists know very little of scripture that's why they can't understand why we do what we do.

It's never meant to anger anyone, but to inform.
I thought I had said this recently, but I'll say it again. A substantial number of the active atheists that post here were active Christians for a very long time. One said he lost his belief at age 60. They know the contents of the Bible better than most Christians. They, as a rule, already know the Scripture, and the do understand what you do. They don't need to be informed. Many of them did an intense study of the Bible. trying to make sense of it in their times of doubt. You can see where that left them.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:06 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,601,412 times
Quote:

That's not the real issue. The issue who is getting god wrong. And maybe its not even "wrong" per say but more about misunderstanding it.

the secondary issue is why would your type of god care? My type of god doesn't care if you believe in it or not. well, my type is more of a militant atheist defined sort-a-god, At the very least it understands why your wiring in your body lead you to the "wrong" belief about Jesus.

But so long as you are helping others and doing the best you can ... it won't mind. It teaching humans as fast as humans are willing to learn. it will work out in the end.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I thought I had said this recently, but I'll say it again. A substantial number of the active atheists that post here were active Christians for a very long time. One said he lost his belief at age 60. They know the contents of the Bible better than most Christians. They, as a rule, already know the Scripture, and the do understand what you do. They don't need to be informed. Many of them did an intense study of the Bible. trying to make sense of it in their times of doubt. You can see where that left them.
Where and who are they? I would like to have some heart to heart with them.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
That's not the real issue. The issue who is getting god wrong. And maybe its not even "wrong" per say but more about misunderstanding it.

the secondary issue is why would your type of god care? My type of god doesn't care if you believe in it or not. well, my type is more of a militant atheist defined sort-a-god, At the very least it understands why your wiring in your body lead you to the "wrong" belief about Jesus.

But so long as you are helping others and doing the best you can ... it won't mind. It teaching humans as fast as humans are willing to learn. it will work out in the end.
That's a cop out. You refuse to accept Christ for who He is and what He's done, period!

The scripture plainly tells us, seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened unto you.

Those who don't know what to believe have not done the above for whatever reason.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:42 AM

What's a cop-out is projecting one's feelings onto Jesus.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:16 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,601,412 times
Quote:
That's a cop out. You refuse to accept Christ for who He is and what He's done, period!

The scripture plainly tells us, seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened unto you.

Those who don't know what to believe have not done the above for whatever reason.
ok ... lets look at this side by side (I can't say word "list" now ... its a new thing)

you: You refuse to accept Christ for who He is and what He's done, period!

arach: lets look around and see what beliefs match what we see better.

if there is [thing] it would really wouldnt care if we aren't exactly correct so long as we being as reasonable as can.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
What's a cop-out is projecting one's feelings onto Jesus.
I'm sorry you were abused as a child. I can't imagine that experience.

I can't share with you what I would like, it would be considered proselytizing on this forum.

I do hope that you will find peace of heart from your experiences.

God bless you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism