Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:14 PM

756 posts, read 2,574,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I got some clothes from the local Target store the other day and found some card with a christian website on it. It had a little picture of jesus touching some kid on the head....

Anyhow I called the store and said pretty much that I go there for pants not conversions. Turns out that there has been a group of people going through the local department stores and putting these cards in everything from magazines to pockets to even boxes.

Wal mart doesn't seem to care, but when target gets a few complaints about it they actually go through all the clothes and magazines.

I hope they catch someone...
....and do what to them.......????

Old 07-31-2008, 12:37 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Cleatis, where was this Target?
Nampa Idaho

Old 07-31-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nay624 View Post
....and do what to them.......????
If nothing else tell them to knock it off and hawk their god somewhere else.

It has to be a pain in the neck dealing with people like me calling, not to mention having to check everything every week. This may not be as large as say murder, but it is at least an inconvenience to many more people than it "saves"

Old 07-31-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
LOL...yeh, lets go after the track wielding Christians....better keep them from our kids and go into Target packin' our firearm next time just to be safe.

C'mon people....if you don't like it throw it in the trash. With all the mental/emotional stress you are causing yourselves getting worked up over such pithy circumstances you could be doing something really positive and helping the world. Ease up, relax, chill. Blessings.
I've never said that they should be put in the gulag for it, but they should at least have the respect to not do this.

You mentioned the biggest problem that I have with it, is that it is something that should be let go, but that is the problem - That is giving the mouse the cookie...

Old 07-31-2008, 06:00 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I'm actually less bothered by people doing that then I am by people standing at the entrance to the store asking for you to buy Girl Scout cookies or donating to one of the millions of charities that seem to be in my neck of the woods. For one, I don't ever carry cash. They have these things called debit cards that people tend to use now. Charities don't take them. So, basically I feel like a complete scumbag every time I walk by them and look them in the eye and say "I'm sorry I don't have any cash" because I really don't. And they always give me that same look back: "Cheapskate". On the flip side, if I donated to every charity that stood at the entrance to the stores in this area I'd be broke.
I have to admit, charities standing by the door bothers me, as well, for the same reason. Most of them are good charities, and I don't mind giving something, if I have enough on me, but I don't carry much cash either, and what I do carry is generally reserved for something else. Nothing like being made to feel like a heel, as you walk by pleading Girl Scouts, or the folks selling the red poppies, for the veterans. During the holiday season, I do try to keep a couple of extra dollars in my pocket, for just such purposes, but the rest of the year, I tend to get caught unawares. Makes you feel like scurrying sideways, crab-style, looking for a way to sneak past them, which is not easy with those Girl Scouts. Those youngun's have some sharp eyes!

Old 07-31-2008, 07:04 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,161,952 times
Moderator cut: off-topic

This really bothers me! No, it's not ok for anyone to insert any type of religious card into store merchandise. My point before was that no one wants to see someone else's religious material - it's like Homer Simpson said, "Religion is like farting: we like our own but hate everyone else's." As an agnostic, I don't like any of them and I certainly don't want to find them in my clothes!

Old 07-31-2008, 12:04 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,657 times
I am sort of Agnostic/Diest, too...but is it really worth all the effort and energy expended to be upset by a piece of card stock? I find them tucked into my front gate quite often, from some church or religion...I am not sure which because I just pull them out of the chain link and toss them in the trash. There are more important things to get aggravated about...personally I get more annoyed by the plastic, bomb-proof casing they seal many store items in. Takes a machete to open those darned things!!!

Old 07-31-2008, 12:10 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
There are more important things to get aggravated about...personally I get more annoyed by the plastic, bomb-proof casing they seal many store items in. Takes a machete to open those darned things!!!
Oh, my goodness, am I ever with you, there! You can slice a finger off, trying to get into those stupid things!

Old 07-31-2008, 12:16 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,068,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I am sort of Agnostic/Diest, too...but is it really worth all the effort and energy expended to be upset by a piece of card stock? I find them tucked into my front gate quite often, from some church or religion...I am not sure which because I just pull them out of the chain link and toss them in the trash. There are more important things to get aggravated about...personally I get more annoyed by the plastic, bomb-proof casing they seal many store items in. Takes a machete to open those darned things!!!
Its not so much an aggrevation. To me its a perceived lack of right and wrong. You don't go into a store and start dropping things off. They don't own the merchandise in there. They shouldn't be opening boxes etc to drop off cards. It isn't there stuff. Sure its a "victimless" annoyance but for the love of God how someone can't know that the act of tampering with store merchandise is wrong is way beyond me.

And yes. Those plastic things you speak off.. are very annoying! I've just about split my finger on those things..

Old 07-31-2008, 01:25 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,212,206 times
Can't remember the last time I had something tucked under my windscreen. I think here in SA they passed a law that said these flyer folk were responsible for the litter in car parks and were fined for littering even if they did not drop it on the ground.

Now they have folk at traffic lights handing this stuff out which is a road hazard and as you know in SA you do not drive with a window open because of hijackings or cellphone or purse snatching, probably when a few get run over by irate drivers then folk will market in another way. And of course not to mention the mess at our post office boxes at month end when it looks like a paper recycling plant. Folk just dump it on the floor but the post office gets paid for the distribution so they get to clean up the mess.

As for clothing, I do not think it would be allowed or tolerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism