Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:43 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,584,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
Let's say Goddidit!
How was God who is apparently smart enough to create those laws come about?
let me guess, he was always there? nobody created him?

how can you believe that and NOT believe that the laws "were always just there"!
Ever make a car and let it run by itself? It sits there and deteriorates. Intelligent Design needs to make it work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well, considering Madeline Murray is dead and the Westboro Christers are still out there protesting funerals, I'd say they are the most dangerous. Personally, I'm tickled pink she got rid of prayer in schools. If she hadn't, someone else would have... and I think it changed society for the better.
Ever seen how our schools work now? No respect for others except oneself. Compassion is limited to oneself and not others. I think society changed for the worse. Proof is in the pudding.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:10 AM

433 posts, read 966,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Ever make a car and let it run by itself? It sits there and deteriorates. Intelligent Design needs to make it work.
the universe is not a car.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:45 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,717,608 times
Quote:
Ever seen how our schools work now? No respect for others except oneself. Compassion is limited to oneself and not others. I think society changed for the worse. Proof is in the pudding.
And prayer would help that??? No, parent teaching their children to respect others will help with that.

I don't see how forcing children to pray would help anyone. Especially considering that not everyone is a Christian. What about the poor hindu kids? The Jewish kids? The Atheist kids? I became an Atheist very young and I would have stood up and walked right out of that classroom if they would have forced me to pray.

Oh, and the private Christians schools in my area are just as bad as the public schools... hell, my ex boyfriend used to buy weed from a student who was in Christian school. And she was FORCED to pray and have bible study every day.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And prayer would help that??? No, parent teaching their children to respect others will help with that.

I don't see how forcing children to pray would help anyone. Especially considering that not everyone is a Christian. What about the poor hindu kids? The Jewish kids? The Atheist kids? I became an Atheist very young and I would have stood up and walked right out of that classroom if they would have forced me to pray.

Oh, and the private Christians schools in my area are just as bad as the public schools... hell, my ex boyfriend used to buy weed from a student who was in Christian school. And she was FORCED to pray and have bible study every day.
I believe prayer would help it. It use to help. Things have gone from bad to worse in the past 30 years.

No one said FORCE anything. Those kids who do not want to paticipate could leave the room or sit quietly at their desk. Heck, it only takes a few minutes. I don't look at the other kids as "Those poor kids." Prayers of all faiths could be included each week.

As far as a CHRISTIAN kid selling weed, duh. I guess you think being a Christian makes one perfect----not in this life.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I believe prayer would help it. It use to help. Things have gone from bad to worse in the past 30 years.

No one said FORCE anything. Those kids who do not want to paticipate could leave the room or sit quietly at their desk. Heck, it only takes a few minutes. I don't look at the other kids as "Those poor kids." Prayers of all faiths could be included each week.

As far as a CHRISTIAN kid selling weed, duh. I guess you think being a Christian makes one perfect----not in this life.
I thought religion was supposed to be including, not excluding?? I guess I was wrong. Sending kids outside because they don't 'believe' is absolutely wrong on every level. Way to boost kids self esteem by telling them they're 'wrong' and excluding them from a class activity.

Pray all you want in private schools, in the public schools it shouldn't be a requirement.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:07 PM

Then how about a statement of respecting others be read each morning? Religion is including, it's only the person who excludes their self when it is feels excluding to that person.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:20 AM

970 posts, read 1,703,745 times
Quote:
It is taken out of context because the first half of the sentence is ignored. The compassion part. But people do that all the time to prove their point. It's done with the bible everyday----like the Westboro nuts do.
But he still said "science leads to killing people". And not as a joke. Sorry, the context doesn't excuse that.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Then how about a statement of respecting others be read each morning? Religion is including, it's only the person who excludes their self when it is feels excluding to that person.
Why is that needed? You think by just saying 'respect others, kids!' every morning that it will happen?

Old 07-15-2009, 12:27 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,805,158 times
Quote:
[I did] Some [reading to prep for Expelled]. I read one book cover to cover, From Darwin to Hitler, and that was a very interesting book--one of these rare books I wish had been even longer. It's about how Darwin's theory--supposedly concocted by this mild-mannered saintly man, with a flowing white beard like Santa Claus--led to the murder of millions of innocent people.
Except it was not Darwin, science or evolution that lead to the holocaust - it was Christianity and The Bible. Hatred of the Jews existed in Europe a thousand years before Darwin was born. Anti-semitism was promoted by the clergy and Christian leaders. Hitler was a Christian creationist, not an evolutionist:

Like a creationist, Hitler asserts fixity of kinds:

The fox remains always a fox, the goose remains a goose, and the tiger will retain the character of a tiger. - Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, vol. i, ch. xi

Like a creationist, Hitler claims that God made man:
For it was by the Will of God that men were made of a certain bodily shape, were given their natures and their faculties. - Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, vol. ii, ch. x

Like a creationist, Hitler affirms that humans existed "from the very beginning", and could not have evolved from apes:
From where do we get the right to believe, that from the very beginning Man was not what he is today? Looking at Nature tells us, that in the realm of plants and animals changes and developments happen. But nowhere inside a kind shows such a development as the breadth of the jump , as Man must supposedly have made, if he has developed from an ape-like state to what he is today. - Adolf Hitler, Hitler's Tabletalk (Tischgesprache im Fuhrerhauptquartier)

Like a creationist, Hitler believes that man was made in God's image, and in the expulsion from Eden:

Whoever would dare to raise a profane hand against that highest image of God among His creatures would sin against the bountiful Creator of this marvel and would collaborate in the expulsion from Paradise. - Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, vol ii, ch. i

Like a creationist, Hitler believes that:
God ... sent [us] into this world with the commission to struggle for our daily bread. - Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, vol ii, ch. xiv

Like a creationist, Hitler claims Jesus as his inspiration:
My feeling as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded only by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them. - Adolf Hitler, speech, April 12 1922, published in My New Order

Like a creationist, Hitler despises secular schooling:
Secular schools can never be tolerated because such schools have no religious instruction, and a general moral instruction without a religious foundation is built on air; consequently, all character training and religion must be derived from faith . . . we need believing people. - Adolf Hitler, Speech, April 26, 1933

Like a creationist, Hitler wished to make prayer compulsory in public schools. Unlike American creationists, he succeeded.
Hitler even goes so far as to claim that Creationism is what sets humans apart from the animals:
The most marvelous proof of the superiority of Man, which puts man ahead of the animals, is the fact that he understands that there must be a Creator. - Adolf Hitler, Hitler's Tabletalk (Tischgesprache im Fuhrerhauptquartier)

The Nazis had "Gott Mit Us" (God With Us) on their belt buckles and burned Darwin's Origin of Species along with all the other materials deemed dangerous to the state's ideology. Funny these facts were expelled from Ben Stein's little puppet show..

So, do the math.. it's not rocket science. Science has not lead to killing people - it has lead to the highest quality of life mankind has even enjoyed, and to SAVING more lives than any Church, prayer or god. And this includes evolutionary theory, which has helped make incredible strides in medicine and genetics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism