Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:03 PM

543 posts, read 999,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
Hi,

Since then (Nov. 08), I have this realization/feeling that others who do believe in a God are less than intelligent. I can't help but look down on them, although I don't say anything in that regard.
Not necessary. I know plenty of atheist people who are extremely ignorant AND stupid. They haven't read anything about Darwin, they don't know about the big bang, and they don't know a lot about science and history (those atheists who do not know about history are the most common of all the ignorant atheist I know). They're just atheist just to be "in" or to be against their families.

And I know tons of theists that are extremely intelligent, are in favor on all things science (evolution, big bang, contraception, abortion, etc), and who knows that the bible, the koran, the talmud, the zohar and all those religious writings are not meant to be taken literally.

A huge misconception many atheists make about theists is that they (atheist) think that all theists follow any of those books in a literal way and who think that just because someone decided to believe in a deity is automatically an idiot.

People believe in deities for tons of reason, and lack of intelligent is not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 03:39 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay26 View Post
Not necessary. I know plenty of atheist people who are extremely ignorant AND stupid. They haven't read anything about Darwin, they don't know about the big bang, and they don't know a lot about science and history (those atheists who do not know about history are the most common of all the ignorant atheist I know). They're just atheist just to be "in" or to be against their families.

And I know tons of theists that are extremely intelligent, are in favor on all things science (evolution, big bang, contraception, abortion, etc), and who knows that the bible, the koran, the talmud, the zohar and all those religious writings are not meant to be taken literally.

A huge misconception many atheists make about theists is that they (atheist) think that all theists follow any of those books in a literal way and who think that just because someone decided to believe in a deity is automatically an idiot.

People believe in deities for tons of reason, and lack of intelligent is not one of them.
Wait... you mean Atheists are PEOPLE?!?! They can be intelligent, or stupid??

Sorry for the bit of sarcasm, but people aren't infallible. I've met some ridiculously intelligent Atheists and Theists in my life. I've also met the other spectrum of arrogance in thinking that they themselves hold all the truth the universe has to offer.

Personally, I can't help but think of the more fundamentalist sects (and even some of the more mainstream) as a bit schizophrenic... they see and hear things that only THEY can see/hear, they talk to this thing and attribute pretty much everything to it. I'm not trying to paint with a broad brush, but let's keep it simple.

If you were raised a non-believer (or neutral, as I like to think of it) and then met a clan of people who said they could talk to someone and they granted wishes and that you had to worship him or he would send you to a firey place etc etc wouldn't you think they were just a tad crazy?

That's how I think of many theists. It just doesn't make sense to me and yes, I've studied and know plenty of people who are believers.... it just doesn't resonate.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:04 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay26 View Post
Yep, and it is for that reason I attempt (though not always successfully) to make a distinction between "Christians" versus Fundamentalists and evangelicals. It is the latter that I have a beef with. And that goes for any religion actually.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:44 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
For me I don't think it is a lack of intelligence, for me I think it is a lack of thinking for yourself, it is like they are programmed.
I think this is key. I've seen as many intelligent Christians as I have dumb atheists. You'll find all sorts on either side of the fence. And as MontanaGuy added, to most Christians questioning the existence of God is a big no-no. They (and likely most of us) were raised to believe that question God is one of the worst things you can do. And if one doesn't start questioning, one won't eventually turn atheist. Which is just another very clever tactic used (mostly unknowingly) by religion to keep people from turning away from it.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:59 PM

108 posts, read 438,272 times
I'm of the mind that most religious thought is born of wish-thinking (fear of death, want to see deceased loved ones, and all that) and not necessarily a sign of low intelligence. After all, some really smart people even in recent "atheist" times were believers in something supernatural: Kurt Goedel, Polkinghorne, etc.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:46 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,521,494 times
^
then begin with stating a clearly legible intent on starting a thread.
i would consider that only fair.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:53 PM

378 posts, read 626,464 times
You can't possibly judge all people on a particular belief they have. You especially can't do that on such a huge question as God's existence.

Remember that Richard Dawkins is just one person, you shouldn't believe everything he believes. Him saying religious people are less intelligent is biased and unfair. He has an agenda to push (atheism).

You should read some books by theists, you'll realize there are intelligent theists out there as well. I've seen as many great books by theists as I have the most popular atheist books out there.

... It really boils down to this: some believe the universe was created, others believe it happened by chance. There is nothing right or wrong with either view. It's like fish trying to figure out how their fish tank got there.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:07 PM

378 posts, read 626,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I think it's kind of analogous to this: Little kids believe in things Santa and the Tooth Fairy.
Yeah, and Santa and the Tooth Fairy have no baring whatsoever to do on whether or not something created the universe. Theology has been around since recorded history and it's theories are just as valid today as they were when man first thought of them. Until it's proved somehow there is no God or Creator, of course.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:43 PM

173 posts, read 328,536 times
Quote:
but with regards to your doubt, i assure you, i was a muslim until Nov. 08 when i bought and read Richard Dawkins' book (The God Delusion) after watching all his vids on youtube and since then, well, i've been an atheist feeling the way i described in my original post.
Hi Evidence,

I just stumbled upon your threads and must say I am pretty intrigued by your questions. Although you claim to be an atheist, you are still very interested in religion actually, perhaps about Christianity especially.

If I may ask, did you leave Islam because "Allah" did not answer your prayers, or at least the way you wanted them answered?

Quote:
I don't think you are right. I think I did "convert". Here are a couple definitions of "convert":

1. to turn to another or a particular use or purpose; divert from the original or intended use
2. to modify (something) so as to serve a different function

and i 'absolutely' believe that there IS a conversion 'process' which 'leads' to the realization!

Anyone else have a different view?

I don't think there's "conversion" involved in atheism. Unlike religions including Christianity, you don't have to have membership, verbal confession of faith, reading of some holy book, baptism and other stuff involved when one becomes an atheist.

All you do is to simply abandon your faith and walk away. There's no athesim holy book to study, no membership and no other "process" involved.

Am I right?

Old 07-09-2009, 11:46 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I think it's kind of analogous to this: Little kids believe in things Santa and the Tooth Fairy. Then eventually they reach a stage in cognitive development where they begin to see the absurdity and start having doubts. However, they really don't want to let go of their fantasy, and many get quite emotional about it (the fancy word is cognitive dissonance). Then they eventually get over it.
I see believers in a similar way to little kids. I don't feel they are less intelligent - they just haven't reached that stage in their personal growth/development. (keep in mind I am using the word intelligence to mean the capacity to learn - not that one necessarily has yet) Many will never reach it because they are afraid to let go. I also think a lot of the really angry and insecure ones are those experiencing cognitive dissonance.
You're much nicer than I am...I kinda think of those religious folks as addicts...
it's a crutch that they just can't bear to live without.
I tend to avoid addicts as well as overtly religious folks.

but hey, we've all got our 'somethin' you know?

"it's not a habit it's cool, I fell alive,
If you don't have it you're on the other side,
I'm not an addict, maybe that's a lie..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MbbBYalam8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism