Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 06:18 AM

433 posts, read 964,972 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I recently converted to being an Atheist and discrediting the claims of all religions (after months of thinking and research). Mainly thanks to Richard Dawkins.

Since then (Nov. 08), I have this realization/feeling that others who do believe in a God are less than intelligent. I can't help but look down on them, although I don't say anything in that regard.

Is this normal? I don't think it's quite fair since I believed the same things less than a year ago! I don't want to be a hypocrite but at the same time, it's clear to me how delusional they are!

Is anyone experiencing the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 06:27 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,781,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
Hi,
I recently converted to being an Atheist and discrediting the claims of all religions (after months of thinking and research). Mainly thanks to Richard Dawkins.

Since then (Nov. 08), I have this realization/feeling that others who do believe in a God are less than intelligent. I can't help but look down on them, although I don't say anything in that regard.

Is this normal? I don't think it's quite fair since I believed the same things less than a year ago! I don't want to be a hypocrite but at the same time, it's clear to me how delusional they are!

It's understandable. It's like watching a really good conjourer or one of those mind-manipulators working. I have seen some who were so awesome that one almost believed in magic or astrology or whatever it was they were doing with their trick.

Then they explain the trick and we all laugh.

Then we watch the others being tricked and we smile with a bit of contempt. But with a little shame at doing so because we were just the same not long ago.

Don't beat yourself up about it. Understand how you were fooled and try to help the others see it. They won't thank you and it's hard to prove as you can only explain how you think the trick is done. The people who do the trick were taught it by others, and they all believe it, so those who try to explain the trick are not likely to be listened to.

But we have to do it. And some - quite a lot - DO listen. And that makes it all worthwhile. It may be that some who try to help starving africans who living in squalor may feel guilty at feelings of superiority. The thing is to not give up helping.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:37 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,526,542 times
^
begging to disagree.
"feeling" very much like the op, at times. without ever finding a precise explanation to face ....

were it not for the strict adherence to topics, i would resort to psychology explaining the feelings left unattended while discussing subjects and/or answering questions with knowledge that won't ever sufficiently relate to ourselves... (imho)

Old 07-08-2009, 07:08 AM

Well, I gotta say that is my merely my own HO. I just saw a similarity between what I read about how deconverts reacted to those still believing and how I saw people react to an illusion when explained. I could be wrong.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:14 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,390,112 times
I think it's kind of analogous to this: Little kids believe in things Santa and the Tooth Fairy. Then eventually they reach a stage in cognitive development where they begin to see the absurdity and start having doubts. However, they really don't want to let go of their fantasy, and many get quite emotional about it (the fancy word is cognitive dissonance). Then they eventually get over it.
I see believers in a similar way to little kids. I don't feel they are less intelligent - they just haven't reached that stage in their personal growth/development. (keep in mind I am using the word intelligence to mean the capacity to learn - not that one necessarily has yet) Many will never reach it because they are afraid to let go. I also think a lot of the really angry and insecure ones are those experiencing cognitive dissonance.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:27 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,526,542 times
cognitive dissonance!

with all sense perception relinquished to virtuality? it's just "my humble opinion" in formation..

Old 07-08-2009, 07:42 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,936,626 times
Yeah, it's very much the, "I know how this trick works", or the "I know how this movie ends" kind of feeling.

Don't spoil it for the others. They don't want to know, and the journey is what makes it worthwhile.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I think it's kind of analogous to this: Little kids believe in things Santa and the Tooth Fairy. Then eventually they reach a stage in cognitive development where they begin to see the absurdity and start having doubts. However, they really don't want to let go of their fantasy, and many get quite emotional about it (the fancy word is cognitive dissonance). Then they eventually get over it.
I see believers in a similar way to little kids. I don't feel they are less intelligent - they just haven't reached that stage in their personal growth/development. (keep in mind I am using the word intelligence to mean the capacity to learn - not that one necessarily has yet) Many will never reach it because they are afraid to let go. I also think a lot of the really angry and insecure ones are those experiencing cognitive dissonance.
It is certainly tempting to regard theists as little kids. In fact, some of the smartest people I have known have been theists. It's just that, when you get onto theism the intelligence is used in a particular way. It's the twisted logic used by Paul and by all theists since and it's the same sort of twisted logic used in other religions and in all the cults.

Science and logic, I beg to suggest, are constructed with rules to ensure that doesn't occur. Checks, tests contols and peer reviews in science and tight rules in logic - as tight as those in mathematics.

In religion, cults and so many other areas, the idea is to win, not to get at the truth. The 'truth' is already known. The intelligence is used (or misused) to prevent the questioning. And cunning indeed that prevention can be.

So how is that like kids? I suppose it's like the gospel exhortation to eschew wisdom and just believe what one is told, like a little kid. except that little kids are quite smart sometimes. It's more that the gospel -writers want the believer to accept without question in the sort of way the gospel - thinks the little kids think. The tendency to stick the fingers in the ears is certainly similar.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-08-2009 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: 'or' for 'ir'

Old 07-08-2009, 07:56 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,682,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
Hi,

For me I don't think it is a lack of intelligence, for me I think it is a lack of thinking for yourself, it is like they are programmed. When I talk to some, it is very frustrating and hard to take them seriously when they just quote scripture to my questions. Sometimes I want to scream, CANT YOU THINK FOR YOURSELF!!!!! They will tell me I need to repent for my sins, well nope not going to, two of my "sins" are two of my sons, born out of wedlock, one when I was a teen. Not going to ask for forgiveness for having them.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:10 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,202,503 times
Credibility? Take a lesson from a fish. Cautiously circle the bait first.
Has the OP really converted? Or is it a strategy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism