Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 07:35 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,312,458 times

Advertisements

Both of the bottom two links( Politifact & L.A. Times) that cwkimbro provided show an actual certificate of live birth. It's green in color.

According the information on one the links, the actual seal are on the back of the certificate and would not show through on a photocopier even if the back part was photocopied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm not talking about the printout from 2007/2008. We're all well aware of that.

I'm referring to the original document on which the printout is based. I know it can't be released to third parties, but it could easily be made available to Obama himself. You can't tell me that in the face of all this brouhaha that Obama couldn't go down and get a photocopy of the original document and put all this controversy to rest, once and for all.

Why not?

Again, I personally don't care where he was born nor do I question his legitimacy as President. I simply can't fathom why he wouldn't produce the original document -- not a printout -- and bring the matter to an end. Why be obstinate? If it was me or my family I'd just go down to vital records and get a photocopy and say, "Hey, everybody, here it is. Now shut up!"

Old 11-11-2010, 07:50 PM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Both of the bottom two links( Politifact & L.A. Times) that cwkimbro provided show an actual certificate of live birth. It's green in color.

According the information on one the links, the actual seal are on the back of the certificate and would not show through on a photocopier even if the back part was photocopied.
Er, I feel like the sound of one hand clapping.

I'm not saying the printout that has been produced is bogus. I don't think it is.

But it's not the original document. I can get a printout of our birth certificates and those of our kids, and in fact I have done so on occasion. They look just like the printouts Obama has produced. But they are not the original documents. If somebody questioned my printouts, I'd simply show them the original documents. That's easy as pie and just plain common sense.

And let me reiterate *again* -- I don't care where Obama was born nor do I question his legitimacy as President. We campaigned, contributed and voted for him. But it's hard to figure why he wouldn't silence his critics when he could so easily do so. Just show them the original document and be done with it.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:50 PM

Well I wouldn't.

If other U.S. Presidents, Senators, and Representatives didn't have to present their original crumpled-up birth certificates, why should he? Many people actually lose their original certificates ya know, to events like house fires, tornadoes, and floods, like what many people in Douglas county fell victim to last year.

I'm sorry, but the only people to me who are actually questioning President Obama on his birth and citizenship are the people who never wanted him in office in the first place. I see no need for my President to appease those people, because as it is he's done too much of it, in my opinion.

That's my final word on this issue.

Quote:
So why not put it to an end by simply showing the original document? That would be the rational response.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
If other U.S. Presidents, Senators, and Representative didn't have to present their original crumpled-up birth certificates, why should he?
I'd certainly expect them to if there was a public controversy. Why not?

Obama has never claimed the original was lost, crumpled up, destroyed or unavailable.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but the only people to me who are actually questioning President Obama on his birth and citizenship are the people who never wanted him in office in the first place.
That could be. As I say, I personally don't care about his place of birth or citizenship. He ran and got elected, including my vote, and that's good enough for me. It's just difficult to fathom why he wouldn't simply put the kebosh on the matter instead of allowing it to become a huge distraction to his Presidency and an ongoing source of fuel for his enemies.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:15 PM

I guess there really is such a thing as disgreeing for the sake of being disgreeable. Very disappointing but not surprising, especially in this country, and especially in the south.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:41 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,780,042 times
READ EVERY SENTENCE OF THE FACTCHECK.ORG ARTICLE. It will answer your questions.

As will another article written by poltifact (PolitiFact | Obama's birth certificate: Final chapter. This time we mean it!).

I am sorry, but the way some of you have been utterly stubborn about simple facts, just because you disagree with who the president is, is an an absolute disgrace.

This is not just a difference of opinion or a quibble of political logic. This is about facts. The facts are staring everyone right in the face, but people are choosing to be blinded by prejudice. For some that prejudice might be race. For some it might be politics. For some it might the inability to admit they were wrong or perhaps they lack the mental capabilities to process information properly and give in conspiracy theorists too easily. But for whatever reason it comes down to absolute stubbornness that these people are arguing something that undermines not just the President, but this country and its foundations itself.

This controversy has been used by Russian state media and depicted as if were actually a real controversy and a legitimate argument was being played out. It has been advertised among both their population and neighboring countries as propaganda to undermine people's faith in the U.S. and show the U.S. in a negative light.

The people who continue to argue the birtherism movement are making not just themselves look bad, but our country.

You people ought to be completely ashamed of yourselves. This had reached a point of complete absurdity.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I guess there really is such a thing as disgreeing for the sake of being disgreeable. Very disappointing but not surprising, especially in this country, and especially in the south.
Just for the sake of clarity, we're not disagreeing over Obama's legitimacy as President. As I've said *repeatedly*, I'm totally cool with that and actively supported him.

Where we seem to differ is whether it makes more sense for him to produce his original birth certificate, or to stand pat on the 2007/2008 copy. Given how easy it would be to produce the original, I'd say just do it and get all the nay-sayers off his back. It's damaging to his presidency and ongoing fuel for his enemies. I think most politicians would simply say, "Okay, here's the original" and get on with more important matters. Refusing just keeps the loonies alive.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
READ EVERY SENTENCE OF THE FACTCHECK.ORG ARTICLE. It will answer your questions.
If your comments are directed to me you're obviously not reading a word I'm saying.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:01 PM

Dude...please just give it a rest...please, I beg of you, give it a rest.

Quote:
Just for the sake of clarity, we're not disagreeing over Obama's legitimacy as President. As I've said *repeatedly*, I'm totally cool with that and actively supported him.

Where we seem to differ is whether it makes more sense for him to produce his original birth certificate, or to stand pat on the 2007/2008 copy. Given how easy it would be to produce the original, I'd say just do it and get all the nay-sayers off his back. It's damaging to his presidency and ongoing fuel for his enemies. I think most politicians would simply say, "Okay, here's the original" and get on with more important matters. Refusing just keeps the loonies alive.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Dude...please just give it a rest...please, I beg of you, give it a rest.
Why don't you do the same, and omit gratuitous parting shots like "disagreeable," "disappointing" and "typical of the south."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta