Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:54 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times

Advertisements

Study done by UGA Creating a New Milton County :: Carl Vinson Institute of Government :: The University of Georgia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 03:27 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,939 times
Milton just might be reborn if more Democrats keep jumping ship to the Republican party. I only hope that the Republicans live up to their fiscal responsibility motto and make an effort to merge two or more of the poorest counties in Georgia in this "Great Recession" to save money in the same way that Milton & Campbell country was merged during the Depression.

Otherwise, it will just be one more reason for me & others who are likeminded to pin the Georgia conservative republicans as nothing more than a bunch of vindictive confederates, hating on black leadership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
I think I remember their wanting to split off into Milton back in the 1990s, too. I suspect it won't happen.

I do think that Georgia counties need some consolidation as there are too many of them, but these are in the rural areas where some smaller counties have a few thousand people, for instance. Those need to consolidate with the larger counties. I don't think that will happen either due to what the Georgia Constitution says about voting on changing the counties. Intra-county squabbles seem like a waste of time and are definitely divisive, but I am sure the tax issue is central to the argument.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:47 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Milton just might be reborn if more Democrats keep jumping ship to the Republican party.
Don't the Republicans already have enough votes to do anything they want, including amending the state constitution?

Old 01-05-2011, 05:13 PM

Currently in the Georgia House of Representatives, I think there are 114 Republicans, 63 Democrats, and 1 Independent in all. In the Georgia State Senate, there are 56 Senators, 35 of them Republicans and 21 who are Democrats.

In order to amend the Georgia Constution each Georgia House must have 2/3rds or a supermajority regardless of the political party willing to agree on a specific amendment(s) then submitted to the voters of Georgia for a popular vote.

Constitutional Amendments

If I'm doing my math right, in order for the Georgia House Republicans to be able to get a supermajority, they would need about 5 to 6 more party switchers from the Democratic side. For the Georgia Senate Republicans, they need 2 to 3 more. I'm pretty sure that the party-switchers will be arm-twisted somehow into supporting the Milton County amendment as a form of fealty to the Georgia Republican Party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Don't the Republicans already have enough votes to do anything they want, including amending the state constitution?

Last edited by AcidSnake; 01-05-2011 at 05:23 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 05:17 PM

Thanks, AcidSnake! Sounds like they're close, but still no cigar.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:38 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,713,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
No, they need 120 in the House for a super majority.

They are just at 112 with the vacancies.

As Democrats try to regroup, Republicans eye supermajority *| ajc.com

ETA: oops. Acid beat me. What happens when you get distracted...

Old 01-05-2011, 05:51 PM

Naw, you're fine PK.

I didn't account for the vacancies in the Georgia House due to using info from late December last year, so that was a mistake on my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
No, they need 120 in the House for a super majority.

They are just at 112 with the vacancies.

As Democrats try to regroup, Republicans eye supermajority *| ajc.com

ETA: oops. Acid beat me. What happens when you get distracted...

Old 01-05-2011, 06:15 PM

969 posts, read 1,960,087 times
Fulton County has $156 million in reserves... $44 million more than expected... and these people still want to break off of Fulton County and form their own? I would like to hear the opinions of people who cry "fiscal irresponsibility" as a reason for creating "Milton County" about the large amount of reserve money. There is no need to create yet another county for metro Atlanta. We are suppose to be working together, not against each other. I guess it's easier to do the latter...

http://www.ajc.com/news/north-fulton...ty-796119.html

Old 01-05-2011, 06:18 PM

876 posts, read 2,279,224 times
Where is that beating a dead horse picture? ... bigger issues.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Fulton County has $156 million in reserves... $44 million more than expected... and these people still want to break off of Fulton County and form their own?
Maybe they should just lower the taxes?

I think what the people up north are complaining about is not just the amount of money Fulton spends but how and where it is deployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta