Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 02:55 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
People do stupid things like rob and/or kill someone because they are desperate, have a terrible family life, and/or are uneducated.
I think the factors you mention are relevant in an indirect sense, but in most cases people choose to rob and/or kill because they are selfish morons with no regard for the lives of others. We know that because the overwhelming majority of people who are desperate, who have terrible family lives and/or are uneducated choose not to rob and kill. It's mainly the stupid a**holes who do that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 05:15 AM

479 posts, read 702,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
This is so sad its not even worth a response. Are you friends with David Duke on Facebook?
Again, I ask: Why do posters who disagree with me very often choose to attack me, the person, usually via the tired accusation of "racism"? Why dont they attack the argument instead, perhaps with facts or figures?

Oh yea, thats right. Its much too difficult an effort. The knee jerk accusation provides an ready made "rebuttal" while obfuscating the issue without actually disputing the argument.

It couldnt be any more lame.

PS: Are you friends with Al Sharpton?

Old 12-23-2010, 09:59 AM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
It's not okay and more needs to be done. There's a lot of thugs in this city still.

It's not just about easy access to guns, it's a combination of things, like poverty and education. People do stupid things like rob and/or kill someone because they are desperate, have a terrible family life, and/or are uneducated. These other issues need to be resolved but I don't know how. The majority of people against guns feel that way because most crimes are committed with them. It's easier to kill or injure someone with a gun then with a knife, other object or your own hands. Why? Because you just aim and pull a trigger you don't have to get that personal with someone. It's less of a struggle... you just shoot and run the other way. While I'm convinced people who commit crimes are uneducated, most likely poor, and didn't have a decent upbringing... I think guns make it easier for these people. I also see the other side of the argument by people who support guns, so I'm torn on this issue.
But on the other side, a person who is not physically strong is at the mercy of a stronger person, or gangs who don't "fight fair" to begin with. Your 80 year old grandmother has some chance of surviving an attack if she can shoot the perp before he beats her to death.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
But on the other side, a person who is not physically strong is at the mercy of a stronger person, or gangs who don't "fight fair" to begin with. Your 80 year old grandmother has some chance of surviving an attack if she can shoot the perp before he beats her to death.
This is true. The best solution would be for worthless thugs to not attack 80 year old grandmothers to death in the first place. (Or to attack anyone else, for that matter).

In the meantime, if the handful of worthless thugs out there want war, I say bring it, baby. Let's see who comes out on top.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:07 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Where do low lifes come from?

Old 12-23-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
This is true. The best solution would be for worthless thugs to not attack 80 year old grandmothers to death in the first place. (Or to attack anyone else, for that matter).

In the meantime, if the handful of worthless thugs out there want war, I say bring it, baby. Let's see who comes out on top.

Well, in a perfect world, there would be no thugs to attack anyone. But that won't happen until after Armageddon.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:02 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Default Excellent Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Hm, where are you getting that idea? I haven't said anything about that but in my opinion most of the people in prison probably are guilty.

That doesn't change the fact SOME innocent people have been put on death row. My point is that if the government's going to kill citizens, it ought to be pretty dang sure that they've got the right guy. That means ruling out crooked experts, jailhouse snitches who've cut a deal to nail somebody else, false evidence, mistaken eyewitnesses, and bias in the system. If it takes a while to hammer all that out, so be it. That's the price of a free society.

If the fickle finger of fate lands on you, are you willing to give up all your defenses on the theory that you're no saint and you wouldn't have been arrested if you hadn't been up to something? That's the way they did it under Stalin and Mao, you know. Dictators love to run things that way.

Arjay,

You make a very good point. I'm all for the death penalty. I am also in favor of overwhelming evidence ot support it. I'm not so worried about getting the guy that kills a convenience store clerk, ON CAMERA, flipping off said camera with gun smoking and running away laughing...

I don't think ANY of us are going to see that guy running away again but, in cases where it's he said, she said, we should be real darned careful that we get it right......the FIRST time, before we stick someone and say lights out?

Again, common sense. It has been said that the District Attorneys in Southern California are facing 50,000 unsolved cases because they can't afford to have the evidence tested due to budget constraints, we have a problem. Many cases could be solved, innocent set free, guilty sent on their way to the chair, chamber, needle as quickly as possible.....if we only had the common sense to fund it as a country.

Why we don't develop a Government (Federal) run string of DNA labs set up to help solve crimes for ALL Law Enforcement Agencies throughout the US is beyond me. Now THAT, is a tax I'm all too willing to pay for. I don't want to see anyone wasting away in jail for a crime he/she did not commit anymore than I want to see a GUILTY person bounce up and down the streets perpetrating their crimes in a carefree manner?

Why don't we spend some taxes on THAT? It's almost unimaginable to think that the difference between guilty and innocent is the cost of a DNA test with those that have collected DNA evidence. It seems like a cruel irony I would not wish on anyone.

The innocent in agony and danger in jail as well as those survivors of families who have experienced the ultimate in crimes, murder. Both sides deserve better.

If they are guilty, prove it beyond all doubts. IF that includes DNA testing, spend the money and let's get them on their way. However, if the DNA evidence clears them, let's get them on their way too and pay the restitution deserved.

It's hard to believe people are sitting in jail, rightly or wrongly, simply because of budget constraints. In the interest of the greater good, let's spend money on THAT!

And yes, most people in prison deserve to be there and deserve to serve every moment of their sentence. But let's do the right thing and set those free who have not committed crimes but, perhaps, have been adjudicated guilty for crimes they did not commit?

This, all coming from a Republican, lapsed Catholic, who can see the value of the death penalty and the wisdom and true justice of setting those free who did not commit crimes they are serving time for. And yes, before anyone starts splitting hairs, DNA evidence alone does not find one necessarily guilty or free but, it goes a long, long way in most cases of doing just that.

Good point Arjay. I don't want to send anyone away who is innocent. I can't think of greater miscariage of justice. However, if tested, and the evidence comes back "guilty"....do not pass Go, do not collect $200 and straight to an appointment with the executioner....no exceptions...

At least, that's how I see it, your State's results may vary....

Old 12-26-2010, 09:26 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Thats something to think about.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:28 AM

I'm totally with you, Caleb.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
This is so sad its not even worth a response. Are you friends with David Duke on Facebook?
Randy, this is not true for everyone, of course. But just as we have the white redneck who thought the world was a better place before "the Blacks got into things", there is a certain class of Black guys who blame every problem in their lives on Whitey. I worked with 2 or 3 guys that were so busy being Black, they had no time to work. 1 guy especially. He asked the boss if he could do a specific task on the roof when it came up, as he needed experience on that particular work. The time came, boss assigned it to him as he'd requested. Spent all day whining "they stuck the Black man in the hottest place of all". 2 different Black foremen didn't like him, as he was lazy, found hiding places all day & told them they should "help out a brother, give me a break".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta