Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 08:59 PM

747 posts, read 1,545,046 times

Advertisements

Potential crime victims turning the tables, with sometimes fatal consequences *| ajc.com

Text copy removed by moderator.

When you post a story, ONLY post a link to the story as you have above. Do not copy/paste the story and repost it here unless you have permission by the story author/reporter to do so as it violates legal copyrights. Thank you.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 12-14-2010 at 08:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 07:38 AM

330 posts, read 1,085,338 times
Sounds like a war zone!!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:05 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Not surprising. I certainly don't favor a a Wild West scenario and to me the idea of large numbers of citizens walking around armed has its downsides. There are volatile and untrained idiots out there and there's a significant potential for collateral damage.

But the reality is that if you mess with people after a while they are going to fight back. As long as the bad guys think they can act with impunity they'll keep on doing it.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:30 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,024,502 times

^^^Not as bad as the hoods in NYC, DC, LA, Dallas, Phoenix, etc

Old 12-14-2010, 09:35 AM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
LOL don't bring a knife to a gunfight, fool!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:42 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,537,814 times
Good to see this. Cops aren't doing much and the GA tech student popped the guy in the head! Those students have been getting robbed for YEARS.

2nd amendment ftw!

Old 12-14-2010, 10:09 AM

747 posts, read 1,545,046 times
I'm not normally a big gun advocate, but I'm considering buying one *just in case. I probably wouldn't carry it around with me; it most likely would stay in my nightstand. My partner and I are in the process of buying a townhome in Midtown, so I guess I'm paranoid about having a door right on the street, as opposed to the cocoon feeling you might get in a condo building. And I'm going to be sure that I get the proper training so I'm not spending precious seconds trying to figure out how to take the safety off and/or if the thing has bullets .

Old 12-14-2010, 11:55 AM

826 posts, read 3,122,224 times
I totally agree with taking precautions and have no issue with guns. However there are a few downfalls. People have died trying to fight back, that Boxer comes to mind. Also, when you shoot an intruder their family will come back for you. I believe this is the case with the poor guy in Ormewood who shot at criminals trying to enter his home. He killed one, and I have heard his house was later shot at repeatably, and he was forced to leave.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:47 PM

126 posts, read 224,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
I totally agree with taking precautions and have no issue with guns. However there are a few downfalls. People have died trying to fight back, that Boxer comes to mind. Also, when you shoot an intruder their family will come back for you. I believe this is the case with the poor guy in Ormewood who shot at criminals trying to enter his home. He killed one, and I have heard his house was later shot at repeatably, and he was forced to leave.
i have no problem shooting bad guy's family members if they decide to do a drive-by. unless they spent alota time at the range, they are good as dead withing 100 yards.

it's better to die trying than die not trying...
more dead bad guys = safer society...

-a|ex

Old 12-15-2010, 04:12 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,263,244 times
I'm as liberal as they come but I was raised in a gun collector's household so I have healthy respect for the right to bear arms.

However, I'm all for mandatory gun safety training when you buy one. And yes, I know the bad guys buy them off the street and they won't receive the training. But, really, it's the law abiders who NEED the training. Because statistics will tell you that most people shoot themselves with their own weapon and the last thing you need in a VERY STRESSFUL AND URGENT situation is to either harm yourself or accidentally lose your weapon to your assailant.

More "good guys" get gun training and we'd see less "bad guys".

As I said, I might be one of the most liberal people I know...against the death penalty because I don't believe the state (definition: political organization of people under a government) should be killing people...but I am all for people using whatever means necessary to protect themselves and their loved one...and even their property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta