Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:36 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roku View Post
He could not just come up with a solid answer becuase he does not have nor does anyone outside the government not involved have that key info.
Although he'll tell you in a minute that he has a "solid answer" to another nagging little problem with his 9-9-9 tax plan. That will accomplish the goal of destroying the middle class once and for all. I guess you shouldn't expect anything less from a corporate executive, but the question remains: would you actually vote for a man like Cain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 06:03 PM

559 posts, read 832,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The leader of the free world is not an office to be taken lightly.

Exactly right. Then, why do have a community organizer who has never worked a real job in his life running our country now? A guy who has never even run a lemonade stand . . . never met a payroll . . . never managed a city, county, state . . .

Serious answers based in fact only, please.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:16 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
Exactly right. Then, why do have a community organizer who has never worked a real job in his life running our country now? A guy who has never even run a lemonade stand . . . never met a payroll . . . never managed a city, county, state . . .

This might be the most ironic post yet.

You are complaining about the lack of experience of our current chief executive (which it is true possessed less than the typical credential level possessed by past presidents) and your solution is to support someone with even less of the necessary knowledge and experience, who will be even more of a noob in that office.

Someone like Romney or Gingrich is qualified imo, someone who at least knows the basics of how government operates and at least knows that China has nukes.

Cain just answers every question with 999, rather than displaying a substantive understanding of the kinds of things a president needs to know. I simply don't understand why people think someone with zero political experience is a good fit for the top political job in the country.

Last edited by atltechdude; 11-17-2011 at 06:24 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 06:22 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,994 times
Quote:

I'm game, but you need to explain why community organizer, civil rights attorney, and constitutional law professor aren't "real jobs."

For my part, I think the obsession over professional background is ridiculous. I look for a person with intelligence, pragmatism, and decent people skills, and I don't particularly care how they came by them. California Republicans once made a former radio broadcaster, actor, and union organizer their governor, and that worked out pretty well.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I'm game, but you need to explain why community organizer, civil rights attorney, and constitutional law professor aren't "real jobs."
Perhaps, I should have said zero executive experience to clarify.

And no, I don't think community organizer is a real job, and being an academic is very borderline, to be generous.

Like I said earlier, if you're trying to tear down ANY candidate via experience or leadership experience . . . you better not have voted for BO over Hilary in 2008.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
For my part, I think the obsession over professional background is ridiculous. I look for a person with intelligence, pragmatism, and decent people skills, and I don't particularly care how they came by them. California Republicans once made a former radio broadcaster, actor, and union organizer their governor, and that worked out pretty well.

Therein lies the rub, Cameron. That sounds like a good plan, but in today's media obsessed politics, how can you possibly gauge anyone's "intelligence, pragmatism, and decent people skills?"

Based on how they debate in 36 televised debates? Knowing that one screw-up in those dozens of debates is going to get replayed endlessly for their humiliation?

And nice job on the Reagan reference, but Ronnie had executive experience running what is possibly the US's toughest state to govern.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:16 PM

I think most people who are "tearing down" Cain are doing so because he's completely clueless. It's easy to pin it on his lack of "experience," but I very strongly suspect he'd be completely clueless no matter what his background was. You don't need to have anything against Herman Cain to notice this -- Herman Cain proves it every time someone asks him a policy question.

Teddy Roosevelt, FDR, Kennedy, Reagan, Obama -- some of my favorite presidents haven't had much in the way of professional experience prior to their political careers. A good mind is a much stronger recommendation for the job than an "executive" resume.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Therein lies the rub, Cameron. That sounds like a good plan, but in today's media obsessed politics, how can you possibly gauge anyone's "intelligence, pragmatism, and decent people skills?"
Wow. Because of today's media obsessed politics, it's easier to make this kind of judgment than ever. We get to see everything -- interviews, debates, reporting, their political record picked over with a fine-tooth comb. Yes, you have to go deeper than just digesting the talking points and sound bytes, the information is easily accessible if you want it.

Quote:
And nice job on the Reagan reference, but Ronnie had executive experience running what is possibly the US's toughest state to govern.
Not when he was elected governor, depending on the extent to which you classify president of SAG as "executive experience." He went straight from acting into politics and did fine.

ETA: I missed this on my first pass, but how much "executive experience" did Hillary have? I know the Clintonistas were talking up her (ultimately unsuccessful) role in health care reform and getting shot at in Bosnia, but come on. Despite that lack, she's made an excellent Secretary of State.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Someone like Romney or Gingrich is qualified imo, someone who at least knows the basics of how government operates and at least knows that China has nukes.

Cain just answers every question with 999, rather than displaying a substantive understanding of the kinds of things a president needs to know. I simply don't understand why people think someone with zero political experience is a good fit for the top political job in the country.
A sensible post.

We just differ strongly in our estimations of what Herman would be in office, and that's ok. Under no circumstances do I seeing Herman being a bigger noob (your word) than our current POTUS.

Secondly . . . BO has an appoval rating around 42%. Bush-2nd term got even lower than that. Congress/Senate is an unbelievable 15% or lower. America is SICK of politicians on both sides screwing up our country while ensuring their own re-election.

That's why some people think zero political experience might be a good fit. You don't have to agree, but that's the rationale.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Wow. Because of today's media obsessed politics, it's easier to make this kind of judgment than ever. We get to see everything -- interviews, debates, reporting, their political record picked over with a fine-tooth comb. Yes, you have to go deeper than just digesting the talking points and sound bytes, the information is easily accessible if you want it.

I beg to differ. You're being naive if you think you get to "see everything." It's exactly the opposite. You see a polished, canned product that is trained up, rehearsed, and image consulted with one goal in mind . . . get elected.

My point was that because of the media obsession w/ sound bytes, screw-ups, etc., the election process has little bearing on how the eventual winner will actually be as POTUS.

It's just strategically navigating your election team between the land-mines and watching your competitors get blown up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta