Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 10:39 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I don't like it and don't want to waste a once in a lifetime opportunity on it.

When are you thinking your next opportunity will come around, tiki?

A lot of us have been waiting on this one for a couple of decades, and I don't personally have high hopes that I'll be around for another.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:15 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,241,774 times
If this passes it will likely make another serious transportation referendum impossible to pass.

The fact of the matter is, transportation is in the minds of people in the metro. I would love to see some polls on this, but my money is on the majority of metro Atlantans want something to be done to traffic and would be willing to pay a tax to fund it. It just has to be a good investment.

Now, make the tax district smaller, make the plan more focused and we should be good to go. I don't believe that the groups that have worked on the TIA will disappear as a whole. I refuse to believe that this coalition of groups will fade and the movement to improve transport will disappear. There is a lot of money up for grabs, they will find a way to get it (contractors, developers, the government). I want to make these people use my money wiser, not just give them a pass on a shoddy multi billion dollar wish list.

I guess I am optimistic, maybe wrongly so.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I guess I am optimistic, maybe wrongly so.
I understand your sentiments, but what sort of timeline do you envision for creating a "Plan B"?

The state legislature was extremely reluctant to take any action of any sort of action on a transportation bill for decades, despite intense pressure from the Governor, the job creators and many citizens. They've also made it very clear that if this fails, they don't have any interest whatsoever in going back through the process a second time. I seriously doubt that many local politicians would be up for it either.

In the meantime, other cities simply take care of business and move on.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:16 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Quote:
And it has to go fast. No better argument for commuter rail than when the express train from Kennesaw blasts by a jam on 75 St 90 MPH. That will get people out of their cars.
Or make cars stop at a RR crossing for a Commuter train.
Quote:
They've also made it very clear that if this fails, they don't have any interest whatsoever in going back through the process a second time. I seriously doubt that many local politicians would be up for it either.
Exactly, why would the legislators put their necks back out when the voters clearly voted NO. This is the only opportunity to invest billions in a short period of time into our transportation infrastructure.
For those that don't trust the gov't will do right with the money, how are you going to put your faith in the same people to let us have this opportunity again?

Old 07-24-2012, 11:23 AM

I'm not saying this to "force" anybody to vote in favor of the transportation referendum.

But it is the extreme of pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking to imagine that there's going to be a second chance anytime in the foreseeable future.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:44 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Well you mix in liberal urbanites and ask them to pay for road expansion when those rural counties will get more money, listed projects and 15% local funds, from the TIA than they actually collect.

That is just the anti-Transportation Referendum crowds opinion. We have no way of knowing that these projects will not reduce congestion. The Clifton Corridor rail project will instantly reduce congestion in that employment center, you can bet 100% on that! 285/20 and 285/400 interchange rework will reduce congestion at those chock points. The braided ramps at 285S to 85N will reduce merge delays and lower the congestion on not only 85N, but also 285S. So tell me again on congestion will not be reduced?
I'd bet the Clifton Corridor rail project will instantly INCREASE congestion-as its currently designed.
It could help if it were better designed.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
I'd bet the Clifton Corridor rail project will instantly INCREASE congestion-as its currently designed.
It could help if it were better designed.
How do you figure? There is an alternative design to keep it separated along the CSX tracks? Taking cars and buses off that road will instantly reduce the congestion.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:08 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,241,774 times
Since they are showing the line street running on the Clifton rd as their preferred option, I'm going to go ahead and assume that's what will end up happening.

Now, looking at a map, street running would clearly be the best choice in terms of door to door convenience. Running behind the CDC would serve less customers. But running through the street has the potential to add a serious weak spot for this "rapid" transit service. Clifton Rd is not very wide at this point. It looks like they would have to work within the 4 lanes + turn lane width there now.

This area should be in a tunnel, no question. There is a large section of track that will be in a tunnel NW of here that is just running behind some houses... Why? There appears to be plently of space for CSX and LRT. That money would be better spent on the alignment outside of CDC.

I want to see this line happen, I just really don't like the way it is designed.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
This area should be in a tunnel, no question. There is a large section of track that will be in a tunnel NW of here that is just running behind some houses... Why? There appears to be plently of space for CSX and LRT. That money would be better spent on the alignment outside of CDC.

I want to see this line happen, I just really don't like the way it is designed.
I'm sure the CDC and Emory had a lot of input on where the preferred alignment, but local opinion can always change the alignment to the CSX ROW. Don't assume that just cause its the preferred alignment that its going to be built that way. Opinions change and citizen review board for the Transportation Referendum can influence the final alignment.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:54 PM

Chip Rogers is a goob Former Gov. Roy Barnes, Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed take T-SPLOST pitch into heart of anti-tax movement *| ajc.com, standing up at the capital today telling people to vote down the TIA and promising another vote for a new TIA. He voted Yes for it in 2010, so why is he now changing his stance? If people don't trust government already, how can we trust that they will approve another try at the TIA?
Good to Reed making speeches in other counties trying to gain support. Too bad Cobb doesn't have as strong a leader as Mayor Reed to stand up for what's right and will improve the lives of their constituents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta