Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 11:10 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Urbanist View Post

Speaking of: the Curb Market is incredible and I recommend it to everyone. We eat there almost every Saturday for lunch at either Grindhouse, Yum Diggity, Arepa Mia or Sweet Auburn BBQ. It's a cool place and a great way to experience a true mix of Atlanta cultures under one big roof.
I want to shop there, but their hours don't work for me. They claim to be open until six, but when I went in there at 5:20 recently, all the stalls were either closed or in the process of closing. I'd love to be able to stop there after work every few days since it's in walking distance of my office and my house, but if they're closing up, it's not pleasant (or possible) to shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 11:15 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
who would actually take the streetcar to go to a Pizza Hut or Moe's?
Nobody. Nor would they be likely to take it just to go to Joystick Gamebar. The idea is that tourists (and local travelers) will see these places while they're traveling on the streetcar to their actual destination, and some will return to these places for a meal after visiting the tourist sites. Believe it or not, tourists don't always want to eat at local restaurants. They often want what is familiar and predictable.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:25 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,988,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Nobody. Nor would they be likely to take it just to go to Joystick Gamebar. The idea is that tourists (and local travelers) will see these places while they're traveling on the streetcar to their actual destination, and some will return to these places for a meal after visiting the tourist sites. Believe it or not, tourists don't always want to eat at local restaurants. They often want what is familiar and predictable.
Very true indeed. I consider myself a very adventurous eater, but I've caved and had McDonald's in places like Cairo, Sofia, Nice, Hong Kong, and Managua. Sometimes you're pressed for time and want something cheap and easy.

I don't see how these could be considered in any way bad for the neighborhood. College students aren't known for fostering culinary creativity, and those are the people who mainly live in the area. A Moe's and a Pizza Hut may make the area feel like a more friendly and appealing place to live, even if they are big, bad chains.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:59 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
If the streetcar is catering mainly to tourists and students, I think fast food and inexpensive places offering simple fare are ideal. These folks want to use the restroom, grab a cup of coffee or a bite to eat and move on.

Leave the fancy-schmancy places to Midtown and Buckhead.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:04 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,757 times
College students can't afford Pizza Hut though unless their parents are highly financing them.When I was college unless my parents bought it we ate Little Cesars, Hungry Howes, Dominos and Cicis because although they taste gross in comparison, they were much more affordable then Pizza Hut.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:08 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,757 times
As far as tourist wanting chains, that depends on the tourist/event.

Dragon Con for example is going to bring a nerdy crowd that isn't hip enough to care about trying a new place.

A business convention may have guys who want to try something unique.

So I say a mix that focuses more on local places is better, but let's not exclude local chains(fresh2go,ru-san for example).

Old 10-26-2012, 12:11 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
College students can't afford Pizza Hut though. When I was college unless my parents bought it we ate Little Cesars, Hungry Howes, Dominos and Cicis because although they taste gross in comparison, they were much more affordable then Pizza Hut.
There is truth in that. Our kids lived on Totino's when they were in school. Going out was a luxury.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:18 PM

166 posts, read 325,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I want to shop there, but their hours don't work for me. They claim to be open until six, but when I went in there at 5:20 recently, all the stalls were either closed or in the process of closing. I'd love to be able to stop there after work every few days since it's in walking distance of my office and my house, but if they're closing up, it's not pleasant (or possible) to shop.
I know what you mean. If I didn't live downtown and have the chance to go on Saturday afternoons, the Curb Market would be totally off my radar. They did make an unsuccessful attempt at drawing evening business last year with late hours one day a week, but they went back to closing early.

That's one great thing about the potential for the streetcar to increase residential density and foot traffic here -- the Curb Market would have a better chance at drawing enough business from people nearby in the evening to stay open later.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:35 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,988,983 times
Did they change the name to the Municipal Market? If so, why? I thought the curb market was its historical name.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:41 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Did they change the name to the Municipal Market? If so, why? I thought the curb market was its historical name.
No, it's still Sweet Auburn Curb Market, but the building says Municipal Market on it, if I'm not mistaken.

Home — Sweet Auburn Curb Market

EDIT: More info in this link:
http://www.sweetauburncurbmarket.com/history.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta