Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 AM

8 posts, read 18,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Atlanta is going to be country and slow/behind the times compared to California. The people here don't care about anything worthwhile and won't even vote on rail. The price is low for a reason. I'd visit for a feel first.

The lack of IQ, culture, progessiveness and things to do will pale in comparison to California. You get what you pay for.

Lol, that "IQ and Progressiveness" is part of the reason I want to LEAVE California. California has such a superiority complex! As I've stated in previous posts I have a lot of family in Atlanta and have spent a good amount of time there since I was a child, my husband has also spent a good amount of time in Georgia for training, we both really like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
You will also find people have superiority complex here too. I was a victim of road rage on Friday (I had the right of way). The man was so angry he followed me for a few miles. I was heading straight for the police station. I have encountered nothing but rudeness over the last few days. And you will find people here to be very classist even when they don't have money.

Also Atlanta is also priming itself to be the next Hollywood. At first it was tbe New York of the South, now it's the Hollywood of the South.

I am not saying any of this to discourage you. Just know that people are people where ever you go and Atlanta is no exception. If you feel that living in the Atlanta area offers the best quality of life for you and your family, do it for that reason alone. You will find a lot of the attitudes you don't like in Cali here in Georgia. You will probably experience less of that living in the 'burbs.

If you are wanting more house for less money then fine, but don't come here thinking southern hospitality rules the day.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:58 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
You will also find people have superiority complex here too. I was a victim of road rage on Friday (I had the right of way). The man was so angry he followed me for a few miles. I was heading straight for the police station. I have encountered nothing but rudeness over the last few days. And you will find people here to be very classist even when they don't have money.

Also Atlanta is also priming itself to be the next Hollywood. At first it was tbe New York of the South, now it's the Hollywood of the South.

I am not saying any of this to discourage you. Just know that people are people where ever you go and Atlanta is no exception. If you feel that living in the Atlanta area offers the best quality of life for you and your family, do it for that reason alone. You will find a lot of the attitudes you don't like in Cali here in Georgia. You will probably experience less of that living in the 'burbs.

If you are wanting more house for less money then fine, but don't come here thinking southern hospitality rules the day.
That's what the OP needs - a lesson on how "people" are in Atlanta. This is exactly the kind of response I was talking about in another thread.

I've always felt that you get back what you put out. Maybe you could try to project a different attitude and you might get a more favorable response. Rudeness seems to usually be met with rudeness.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 10-08-2012 at 12:07 PM..

Old 10-08-2012, 12:54 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,718 times
Quote:

You are a mess.com. the lady likes Ga. Would u please. That last paragraph was the best thing u could have said out of all of this.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:02 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelW15 View Post
No, I know about the September 1st cut off, my oldest makes it by just a few days. They are in th process of moving the cutoff date up here too.
Great Keep in mind, that in the better school districts many parents of children with birthdate's close to the cutoff choose to hold them back. Especially boys. If you have questions about this, let me know. You may want to consider your options.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
You are a mess.com. the lady likes Ga. Would u please. That last paragraph was the best thing u could have said out of all of this.
At the end of the day, we are all searching for that brass ring. Some will find it some won't.

A good quality of life is all that matters.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:22 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
At the end of the day, we are all searching for t'hat brass ring. Some will fin it some won't.

A good quality of life is all that matters.
I wish you would go find it...you obviously haven't found it in Atlanta. There is nothing worse than an unhappy person trying to give advice to others.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
That's what the OP needs - a lesson on how "people" are in Atlanta. This is exactly the kind of response I was talking about in another thread.

I've always felt that you get back what you put out. Maybe you could try to project a different attitude and you might get a more favorable response. Rudeness seems to usually be met with rudeness.
Again, you read too much into things. If you were really paying that much attention to my words you woud get my point without taking such offense. A man following me as a female in my car is what I put out? Right.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:27 PM

8 posts, read 18,960 times
Atlanta_BD, thank you for taking the time to give me your advice, I do get the feeling from many of your posts that you are not someone that really likes Atlanta. I also am not getting the feeling that you have spent much time in Southern California. I think that most of the country is classist, that doesn't change, but the elitist self importance, disregard for others here is at an unbelievable level. While I don't think that there is anywhere that I would be interested in living that there isn't a certain level of keeping up with the jones', I also don't think there are many upper middle class areas as bad about it as here. If you look at the median family income vs median household expenditures here people are spending nearly 10,000 more a year than they are bringing in, and I don't live in a area with a lot of old money. We don't want to be part of that statistic but are not willing to move to a sketchy area of Southern California for many reasons I have already mentioned. We have several draws to Atlanta a huge one being family. My whole point of posting anything on here was to see if there were little things that I hadn't considered about the johns creek area, many people have pointed out things about the commute and schools that has been helpful. I also wanted to confirm that the cost of living would indeed be less than here and I wasn't misinformed about that.

Thank you to everyone who has given helpful insight into little things we need to consider when picking exactly which area is best for us. Also for those that do not understand why anyone would ever want to leave California no matter what needs to be sacrificed, please respect that for many people California just isn't the right fit and for those of us that feel that way it is absolutly not worth sacrificing retirement funds and family vacations to stay here.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:39 PM

OP,

If you read my post, I said more than once that moving to the Noth Fulton area would be perfect for you and what you are looking for. My mother lived in San Diego for six years, one of my best friends lived in LA for seven, and I still have family there. So I do know about So Cal.

Perhaps I should have made my point more succinctly--come here if it has the quality of life you are seeking and for no other reason, not to simply escape certain attitudes and mentalities because they exist everywere including here. Those same attitudes are here. Though people on this forum get angry when that is said.

My initial response was to the poster who said you won't like it here because it is slow and non-progressive. You seem to want a slower pace and I was saying to him that Atlanta north seems more suited to what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta