Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 05:39 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,415,321 times

Advertisements

This was on NBC national news this morning. Lovely. Perhaps there was a good reason behind this special accommodation, but, of course, all that anyone saw and heard was that Atlanta makes special accomodations for VIPs. Oh, well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 06:16 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,834,977 times
Having him wait in line probably creates more of a problem then getting him in and out quickly. Mobs of people busting out cameras are worse for "integrity" of the polling place than one line jumper. Many polling places allow people with children to do the same thing.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,624,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Having him wait in line probably creates more of a problem then getting him in and out quickly. Mobs of people busting out cameras are worse for "integrity" of the polling place than one line jumper. Many polling places allow people with children to do the same thing.
I had my little guy with me last time, and he was an energetic four year old. The poll workers pulled me out to go ahead. Interestingly, no one objected. They did the same when he was a tiny baby. I think they thought I was nursing him because I had him wrapped in my maya wrap. I tried to explain that he wasn't nursing, but I guess they didn't want anyone to freak out. I thought it was funny.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:41 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,910,461 times
You produce, write, collaborate, and sing several multi-platinum records and you'll get the same treatment.
Quote:
A woman at my polling place walked to the front of the line, told the poll worker she had a fainting disorder and was granted immediate access to the voting booth
Several elderly people had their voting cards taken to the front. I have no issue with that since, they are old and can't stand like the rest of us.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:50 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,555,565 times
He can get in front of me any time

Old 11-09-2012, 06:54 AM

989 posts, read 1,744,518 times
I'm kind of torn on this issue. I think voting should be first come first serve with few exceptions, however given Usher's celebrity status and its potential to cause a ton of other issues for election officials, it might have been wise. To Usher's credit, he called them prior to arriving, so it's not like they "ushered" him from the back of the line. He could have easily avoided this, but I'm sure he wanted to take a picture of his ballot, which makes him look bad.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:03 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,038,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
A woman at my polling place walked to the front of the line, told the poll worker she had a fainting disorder and was granted immediate access to the voting booth.
I'll have to file that one away for the next election.
I should hope you wouldn't. Why would you pretend to have a disorder you don't have just to bump in line in front of those with true health concerns, the elderly, a pregnant woman, a family with 6 kids they're trying to control, etc. If you're too lazy to wait in line, mail in your vote. But don't be the person that lies to get ahead of others.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:07 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,887,896 times
General consensus is ;

1. Usher's presence would have caused more problems then him skipping the line.

2. People are a allowed to skip for various reasons, including causing a disturbance.

End the thread. Any other arguments are just haters hating, or possible race baiting like the article comments.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:08 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,780,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
I'm kind of torn on this issue. I think voting should be first come first serve with few exceptions, however given Usher's celebrity status and its potential to cause a ton of other issues for election officials, it might have been wise. To Usher's credit, he called them prior to arriving, so it's not like they "ushered" him from the back of the line. He could have easily avoided this, but I'm sure he wanted to take a picture of his ballot, which makes him look bad.
Still not buying this excuse - Usher was not the only celebrity in Atlanta, Georgia or the USA voting. Did all of them get preferential treatment?

Old 11-09-2012, 07:10 AM

266 posts, read 403,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Fulton allowed Usher to skip voting line | www.ajc.com

What do you think? Any pros?

Personally, I think it's BS. Does anybody who thinks he is somebody think he can get special treatment at a polling place? If it was that big of a deal, he could have gotten an absentee ballot.

I don't blame Usher for trying, I blame the poll workers for being idiots.
I blame him for trying, and I blame the poll workers. You're going to do a civic duty that represents equality and in doing so, you hold up the line even more so that YOU can get ahead since you believe you are above everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta