Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 03:53 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Can someone explain to me how Georgia's graduation rate is hurting the state?

I mean has investment in the state been hurt because businesses are turned off by the state's graduation numbers? Georgia and Atlanta specificlly seem to be doing ok with businesses locating here even with our gradution numbers.

Iowa’s graduation rate is best in the country

Look at Iowa. It has the best graduation numbers in the country but I don't see investment flocking to that state in compraison to what were getting in Georgia and Atlanta. How exactly is Iowa benefiting from its graduation numbers?
I would have never guessed that Iowa would have the highest graduation rate in the country. Good for them though. Perhaps funds just need to be allocated properly in Georgia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 05:04 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Iowa had slightly higher economic growth in 2011 than GA did (1.9% vs 1.7%). Also the health of the residents of Iowa are MUCH better in general than those in GA. For health IA is #17 in the country, GA #37. In IA they have a lower percentage of children in poverty, they have a low percentage of uninsured children compared to GA. Both of these are thought to be correlated to the education of a populace by many people and agencies.

Health rankings by state
GDP by state

Old 12-01-2012, 07:01 PM

254 posts, read 419,433 times
Hey parents: Ever heard of Georgia Cyber Academy? It's what most kids from overseas are going to when they move to Atlanta/georgia.

It has excellent ratings, they fight for your child to make sure they succeed. If the child is failing badly, they will do everything in there power (even if it means 3-4 hour learning sessions on every subject) THEY WILL DO WHAT THEY CAN! You will not see that much determination in many schools in the metro.

Put your children in that school, they can even go to high-school up to college on it. Oh don't worry about the "friends" issue. There's plenty of outlets and events that are free and you can meet up with your friends with. So, please, stop worrying about "friends" and football, and get a damned grip on reality, and enroll your child in a school like GCA. There's even similar programs in other states.....

I've made my point.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:37 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Well, one simple way to get kids to stay in school and graduate......is to pass a law that states that a "drop out " cannot get a driver's licence, untill they reach 19 years of age. THAT works, very well.
LIKE.

Quote:
A related factor maybe that in Canada, our Universities do NOT have sports scholarships, at all. So, attending a University, in Canada, is not a stepping stone to a pro football or basketball career. Oh yes we do have sports at our Universities, but the MAIN reason to be there is to get a advanced education. And yes we do have ACADEMIC scholarships, for superior students.
"Just about all of them are going pro in something other than sports."

Old 12-02-2012, 03:53 AM

16,702 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I would have never guessed that Iowa would have the highest graduation rate in the country. Good for them though. Perhaps funds just need to be allocated properly in Georgia?
Iowa has always had a tradition and reputation for strong public education--placing a high value on educating its citizenry.

Iowa is very proud, protective, and supportive of its public schools--solid community support across the state.

And...
Iowa is a surprisingly progressive place--it is progressive in that pragmatic/Midwestern kind of way. No frills, nothing extraordinary.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:43 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Iowa has always had a tradition and reputation for strong public education--placing a high value on educating its citizenry.

Iowa is very proud, protective, and supportive of its public schools--solid community support across the state.

And...
Iowa is a surprisingly progressive place--it is progressive in that pragmatic/Midwestern kind of way. No frills, nothing extraordinary.
Iowa is also much smaller than Georgia, and has very limited minority populations. It's probably 90% white.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:46 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,621,200 times
Quote:

And...
Yeah, watching the IA caucuses on CSPAN is an eye opening experience. Low cost of living, too. Definitely on my radar for possible relocation.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Iowa is also much smaller than Georgia, and has very limited minority populations. It's probably 90% white.

And what, pray tell, does this have anything to do with what I stated in my post?

Sometimes, arjay, it might be better for you to just rest your fingers a bit and stop wasting energy/time unnecessarily.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Yeah, watching the IA caucuses on CSPAN is an eye opening experience. Low cost of living, too. Definitely on my radar for possible relocation.

See #7:

10 Best Cities for the Next Decade - Kiplinger

And this is from nine years ago, but still relevant in my opinion:

http://www.fastcompany.com/47353/hip...usa-des-moines

And, of course, this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_Iowa
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...iowa/?page=all

Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,621,200 times
Quote:
And what, pray tell, does this have anything to do with what I stated in my post?

Sometimes, arjay, it might be better for you to rest your fingers a bit and stop wasting energy/time unnecessarily.
Actually progressiveness and race often go hand and hand. If you think about the most progressive areas if the country the first thing you notice is the paucity of black people. It would seem that whites are only open to progressiveness in a majority white atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta