Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 12:22 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times

Advertisements

Yes, someone going to carry a big flatscreen T.V. on MARTA. MARTA has been going to the northern burbs for ages now, yet Crime hasn't jumped. Perimeter Mall is still a nice mall to this day, yet transit was extended there back in 2000 if I can recall, if not earlier. If criminals really wanted to rob someone in those outer burbs, they would have driven like they do all the time. They would get access to a car somehow or someway. Most people who use MARTA use it to get to specific destinations...not to rob someone. People are delusional and quite frankly, is expected in the South where many people are ignorant and uneducated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 12:26 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yes, someone going to carry a big flatscreen T.V. on MARTA. MARTA has been going to the northern burbs for ages now, yet Crime hasn't jumped. Perimeter Mall is still a nice mall to this day, yet transit was extended there back in 2000 if I can recall, if not earlier. If criminals really wanted to rob someone in those outer burbs, they would have driven like they do all the time. They would get access to a car somehow or someway.
because everyone knows the best getaway is public transit!

Old 03-15-2013, 01:00 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Don't pull the race card on this one. Might have worked a few decades ago, but not today. It's about $$$ and return on those $$$. Like CWK said above, it doesn't have to be one or the other. I am all for transit, I would like to see MARTA expand, would like to see the rail come to the Beltline as I don't think it is worth the effort if rail isn't a priority... it will transform the core of the city for the better if it is true transit belt line.

But above these, we need commuter rail. The time is way overdue.

But the northern arc is so much different than the public transit options. These public transit options will benefit the inner core counties of the metro, basically the original 5 counties. The northern arc, and the complete outer loop for which the arc was to be the first leg, is needed for the state and the region. To have the 3 main interstates of the southeast to converge in Atlanta and the only way to bypass is on 285 is so half a century ago it is ridiculous. The roads I envisioned by posting a map of DFW are so far past being possiblities it is only wishful thinking. We needed them to be built as soon as 285 was completed.

To stop the outer loop and even the Northern Arc is like saying "we are done as a city. Let's shrink now. Let's let Dallas and Houston and Miami move on up in national prominence, lets let Charlotte and Raleigh and Nashville catch up with us regionally, lets sit on our hands and pine away for something (transit) that current economic times has made almost impossible, but for our pretty trees and lands, lets not build any regional road relief because then we won't get transit options because everyone will drive more cars and Bartow County over to Hall county will look just like Buckhead and we can't have that."

That is what I hear with these arguments.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:47 AM

492 posts, read 791,050 times
I don't see us sprawling anymore then Houston or Dallas. We may as well build it and let Canton be the new Buckhead.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:49 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
The problem is even if these transit infrastructures were to be built would the difference in overall ridership really have that much of an effect on the amount of traffic on the interstates.
It gives those that want the option to use transit, which takes people off the freeways and gives more space for those that still wanna drive by themselves.
Quote:
Don't pull the race card on this one. Might have worked a few decades ago, but not today.
It is still about race. A stranger won't tell you or a study that, but gain someones trust and they'll let it slip.
Quote:
Yes, someone going to carry a big flatscreen T.V. on MARTA.
I did see a lady carry a 27" LED on MARTA during last Christmas. No one messed with her at all because those that commute via MARTA everyday look out for each other. I've seen people chase after a woman because she left her purse, that's the REAL MARTA!
GA needs to start a regional commuter rail system. We already have the rails to just about every suburban town center. Nothing fancy just a gravel parking lot, ticket machines, platforms with a small amount of covering. If the system has the capacity and ridership, then the parking lots can be paved or turned into garages and more of the platforms can be covered.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:10 AM

9 posts, read 19,577 times
The major argument was that it would create sprawl. But then, Gov. Zell Miller didn't act on it and late '90s sprawl crept into the way of it. We'd be better off now if an east-west limited access highway had been built to channel traffic from the inevitable sprawl.

I was a real estate agent in 2000 and remember working onsite at a new housing development in Forsyth County. In the back of the office, there was a map of the new neighborhood with a blue dotted-line through the middle of it - the proposed path of the Northern Arc. We were told not to mention it, but if asked about it, be vague. Fortunately, I was never asked about it, as most people had never heard of the proposed highway. A few years later, some of the most vocal critics of the Arc lived in this neighborhood.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
The major argument was that it would create sprawl. But then, Gov. Zell Miller didn't act on it and late '90s sprawl crept into the way of it. We'd be better off now if an east-west limited access highway had been built to channel traffic from the inevitable sprawl.
Or upgrade a couple east-west arterial roads? Not everything has to be freeways.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:42 AM

Yeah, I think just some simple 4 lane or even a large country road that goes east to west would be perfect.

No need for a expensive 8+ lane high way that will just encouraged sprawl. Just a way to get from Duluth to Marieta or 85 to 75 without using 285.
Something like Peachtree industrial or Buford HYW with less or no lights and about 50-65 mph speed limit. That's totally doable and would serve as a way for residents on the north end to do east to west commuting while trucks and such traveling through can keep using 285.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Or upgrade a couple east-west arterial roads? Not everything has to be freeways.

This is a perfect idea. I think it's a good medium as all people want is an alternative to 285. It can be multiple roads and upgrades or even a grid system that goes from 85 to 75. No need for a large freeway. It's the perfect and inexpensive middle ground that won't encourage sprawl and won't destroy (many) homes.

Why hasn't this been proposed. Why does it have to be a 8 lane freeway or nothing?

Old 03-15-2013, 12:16 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
because everyone knows the best getaway is public transit!
Can you fit a shipping container restaurant on a MARTA train??? Uh oh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta