Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 01:39 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Are all the parking lots etc. spoken for in Midtown and Downtown ATL? It seems odd to me that all this development is happening outside the core while all those parking lots cover Midtown and the southern part of Downtown ATL. Are those parking lots etc. just in a holding pattern waiting for proposals to break ground? There is so much potential in Atlanta to have a legit urban node especially in Midtown, but it seems like development is spread around instead of concentrated.
When the market is ready, those parking lots will be developed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 01:57 PM

687 posts, read 745,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
And its very busy. Same thing with the Memorial Drive semi-BRT. Its branded and runs very frequently. I could see the same thing to route 39 on Buford Hwy.
Yeah 110 The Peach was great...until 2 months back when they decided to stop most of the services running any further south than Arts Center.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:05 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,631,309 times
Quote:
Are all the parking lots etc. spoken for in Midtown and Downtown ATL? It seems odd to me that all this development is happening outside the core while all those parking lots cover Midtown and the southern part of Downtown ATL. Are those parking lots etc. just in a holding pattern waiting for proposals to break ground? There is so much potential in Atlanta to have a legit urban node especially in Midtown, but it seems like development is spread around instead of concentrated.
It is getting there. The elements are being put in place now (PCM, BA, new museums). Downtown has already had a huge spike in condo sales last year because of the opening of the new museums downtown. When BA and PCM opens next year it will bring even more developments to the city. The 12th and Midtown project has already purchased most of those parking lots in Midtown but they havent announced which sites they bought

Old 07-23-2013, 02:36 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,768,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
It is getting there. The elements are being put in place now (PCM, BA, new museums). Downtown has already had a huge spike in condo sales last year because of the opening of the new museums downtown. When BA and PCM opens next year it will bring even more developments to the city. The 12th and Midtown project has already purchased most of those parking lots in Midtown but they havent announced which sites they bought
I figured they had to be spoken for and the developers were just waiting till the time was right. The development of that area is paramount for Atlanta to offer a truly urban neighborhood. I believe it will get there eventually. Midtown fully developed will be able to compete with some of the best urban neighborhoods in the country. It will be interesting to see Midtown ATL in 10-15 years.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:48 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,140,627 times
Quote:
I figured they had to be spoken for and the developers were just waiting till the time was right. The development of that area is paramount for Atlanta to offer a truly urban neighborhood. I believe it will get there eventually. Midtown fully developed will be able to compete with some of the best urban neighborhoods in the country. It will be interesting to see Midtown ATL in 10-15 years.
I've been saying this same thing for ages now. Midtown Atlanta seriously has the backbones to be one of the best urban neighborhoods in the entire country with incredibly high densities in it's core(50k+). It makes me sad development is still scare in the Midtown proper seeing that it actually has transit and a grid system that makes me other parts of Atlanta jealous. Midtown Atlanta still feels so disconnected because of all of the lots...there really isn't a proper streetwall yet.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I've been saying this same thing for ages now. Midtown Atlanta seriously has the backbones to be one of the best urban neighborhoods in the entire country with incredibly high densities in it's core(50k+). It makes me sad development is still scare in the Midtown proper seeing that it actually has transit and a grid system that makes me other parts of Atlanta jealous. Midtown Atlanta still feels so disconnected because of all of the lots...there really isn't a proper streetwall yet.
Yeah, Midtown has a long way to go but it is the best suitable neighborhood in Atlanta for urban development besides downtown ATL. If Atlanta is going to have an urban neighborhood, Midtown is going to be it. I see wonderful things in Midtowns future.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:43 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,631,309 times
Quote:
Atlanta Development Map
http://map.atlantadev.com/

Retail Explosion on Tap for Heart of Midtown - Development du Jour - Curbed Atlanta

12th & Midtown is gaining ground - Atlanta Business Chronicle

The Residences at W Atlanta-Downtown Sees Condo Sales Spike | Multi-Housing News Online

Old 07-23-2013, 07:04 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I've been saying this same thing for ages now. Midtown Atlanta seriously has the backbones to be one of the best urban neighborhoods in the entire country with incredibly high densities in it's core(50k+).
I just hope somebody is paying attention to the cut-through traffic and parking issues. Midtown is already starting to feel like somebody is trying to stuff 10 lbs of potatoes in a 5 lb sack.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:37 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,140,627 times
Walkability and automobiles DON'T go hand in hand. Look at Midtown Manhattan. Traffic is terrible. If a city or neighborhood is built for people and not built for cars, unfortunately traffic will probably be bad in the area.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I just hope somebody is paying attention to the cut-through traffic and parking issues. Midtown is already starting to feel like somebody is trying to stuff 10 lbs of potatoes in a 5 lb sack.

If Midtown ATL is going to be an urban neighborhood on par with some of the greatest urban neighborhoods in the nation, parking should be very expensive and hard to come by. Traffic should move slow and pedestrians should take precedence. We are dealing with a mentality shift that will need to take place for Midtown to take it's place next to other great urban neighborhoods at full build out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta