Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 09:40 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,258,153 times

Advertisements

As I said...ad nauseam, ad infinitum. Excuse me while I go wash out the bad taste in my mouth.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:01 PM

242 posts, read 841,743 times
Too funny. Pless I couldn't agree more . . .

Old 03-22-2008, 02:18 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Well a short answer does not exist.But i as an educated southern black male,I have gotten it from Northern Blacks and Whites because I do not speak in a detectable accent.Northerners do look down or make fun of local dialect.I find that my northern cousins accept dialect and grammar from say Jamaica or West Indies as cool or not stupid .Unlike of southern speech.I suspect that many northern blacks tend to live around more immigrant cultures from the west indies so there speech begins to reflect some of those patterns even though most northern blacks in this country have their roots in the south.The problem is not weather you speak in a local dialect,the answer is to know when to talk standard English.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:47 PM

Its true too many times as you stated.I as a black male have been treated better at the predominately white "Kroger" than the black"Kroger".

Old 03-22-2008, 02:58 PM

Default just a different perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple1 View Post
There is a hidden racism, and prejudice here in Atlanta. It appears that communities are more separated by 'class' versus race. Unlike places like New York, where neighborhoods are more segregated by color and nationality (i.e, black, white, asian, italian, hindu, jewish, etc.)

The work force and in the service market I feel you are most affected by the stereotypes, and the superiority attitudes. I find that blacks who feel they have 'arrived' look down on others who are not in their so called social class. I have been treated much worse by blacks than whites - I am mixed race, but my features are black. There is such an arrogance and pompous stance that I see with a lot of blacks who are in key positions, not too mention pretentious attitudes of grandeur(sp). In the service market, I find that blacks are always charged more for services than whites (especially in the car, general and home services market - these are known facts, so do extensive homework). Overall, I have had great experiences with whites who have always been very friendly too me (whether genuine or not).

Although Henry County is a very nice area, as well as other places in Atlanta, there is still a long way to go, because the stereotypes and racial divide still exists from basic down home ignorance, media play - which seem to only want to continously post stories and images when it comes to blacks who commit crime. The media conveniently eliminates white images or not print a story when it comes to whites. I find people who have personal experience with crime taint a whole race (basically black) because of one criminal. One thread I reviewed clearly showed how whites and koreans stereotyped an incident against the entire race. Every nationality commits crimes and riot at all levels, but it is the images of blacks that are shown the most in every category. The reason why I do not believe statistics is for this very reason - blacks are always shown to be the most when it comes to anything negative, while everyone else is conveniently left out.
So basically because NYCyou have large segregated neighborhoods like Bensonhurst Woodlawn and other areas do you not think the attitudes where people live don't permeate where people work in the more integrated parts of the city?I still sometime have problems getting a Taxi in New York at times.Racism is in my opinion is more overt in the south.In the north it definitely more hidden there than like you say here in Atlanta.I do agree there is a high amount of snobbery in Atlanta among the many well to do blacks,but I find their behavior no different than well off whites.No that does not make it right.Its more of the density that NYC has that makes the classes live somewhat easier.Yes we as people of color do may more and get less for our services.I see no difference in most large places ive been.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:13 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,082 times
Wow........this is a very interesting topic. Believe it or not there are some people who like everyone until treated wrongly.

As for as race relationships I don't think they are a good idea for the long run. The couple may be ok, but there is always some family member on either side that has some bs to say.

I understand why the two races have a dislike for each other. It basically lack of patience and misunderstand.

Lets say Asians (China, Japan, Korea etc) were the ones that were slaves that the Europeans captured and brought to America would the White VS Black thing be so strong?

Seem like Whites have the most problems with Blacks over Asians or Hispanics & Blacks have the most problems with Whites over Asians or Hispanics.

It just sux all around.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:42 AM

293 posts, read 570,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
I'm sure that there aren't very many white male/black female relationships in that area, too.
...thought you had not been to the area lately. I am not saying that 75% of people in this area are in mixed relationships, but I will say that there are a heck of a lot more than I have seen in Atlanta and the Atlanta metro area. All one has to do is visit the night life areas, especially with the younger crowds.

Last edited by Mike Jones 1999; 03-24-2008 at 07:50 AM..

Old 03-24-2008, 08:27 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
Lets say Asians (China, Japan, Korea etc) were the ones that were slaves that the Europeans captured and brought to America would the White VS Black thing be so strong?

First of all, let's correct fact vs. TV fiction - it was for the most part the tribal leaders who captured their own people and sold them to the Europeans. Many times they captured those from rival tribes, and a few times they sold their own, but the majority of slaves came from Africans who captured other Africans and then turned around to sell/trade them to the Europeans who brought them to America to be sold as slaves. That bit of history seems to get lost by many, but it's worth studying.

That being cleared up, if blacks had never been slaves in America then I doubt there would be the troubles between the two that there are now. First of all, if blacks had never been brought over here in the 17th-18th centuries as slaves, the black population in the United States today would be much smaller than it is now. Blacks would have migrated here on their own over time instead, with all the other immigrants (Italian, Poles, Asians, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
Seem like Whites have the most problems with Blacks over Asians or Hispanics & Blacks have the most problems with Whites over Asians or Hispanics.
Blacks continue to blame todays whites for the sins of their ancestors (while forgetting the history lesson above, in which case the tension should be just as high with their own African ancestors as it is with the white ancestors who brought them here) which has caused tension to be passed down from generation to generation. Don't be fooled though, because especially in inner cities, you will see quite a bit of tension between blacks and Asians, or Hispanics, or both. Blacks would see the Asian families come to America and band together to open a business and work 80 hours a week and "make it" quite quickly here, and think that they were being looked down upon by them for being lazy. In more recent times, some blacks feel that illegal Mexican immigrants are "stealing" their jobs.

Likewise, with whites today you'll see quite a bit of tension with Hispanics (especially if they are Mexican) because of the issues with illegal immigration going on, especially in states with a big problem with this. The black/white tension is predominately seem mostly in cities like Atlanta, New Orleans, Baltimore, etc. but you'll see much less of it on the West coast and upper Northeastern regions than you did years ago. I don't think there has been a ton of white/Asian tension since around WWII when Asians were put into camps during the war. Today, you might hear whites (and others) make "bad driving" jokes in bad taste, but overall you rarely see white/Asian tension.

Of all groups, probably anyone from the Middle East has the worst end of it these days because of 9/11. Since then just about everyone gets nervous around them including whites, blacks, and many other groups. Let a white, black, Hispanic, or Asian person get on an airplane and act nervous and everyone will just think they're drunk or hopped up on something. Let someone with a turbin on their head get on board and act nervous and every passenger from every other color or race will have their eyes locked on to that person out of fear.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:52 AM

125 posts, read 426,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yeh...the STD thing would be a big turn off.lol.They had a poverty and drug problem,that was mostly in the poorer areas.Most people do not have them.At the time (10yrs ago),it was higher than the average.Im sure it has decreased alot with all the other positive changes.

Those old houses in the context of history are on the side of town where the influential whites live have always lived.Many of those families have died off,moved away,and some have learned to take it all in stride.There are some black families thier now.I think you will be fine.Most people are just happy the city is growing again after so many here in despair.You wont find many troublemakers of any race.You will spend most of you time in Macon,Perry,or Warner Robins because of lack of shopping and things to do in Fort Valley.There only 10-20minutes away.Fort Valley State University is a historically black university.I forgot to mention that before.That is what i meant by back in the day it was the University and the town.Now the 2 work together on so many projects.Its encouraging.I can see why you fell in love with Fort Valley.Those old homes are beautiful.So much attention to detail.Large porches and huge trees.If it were not closer to a big city like Atlanta,i'd buy one too.

Ok, awesome I think i will be coming there soon to just visit. but thank you very much. and yes that house is beautiful. I want it so bad!

Old 03-24-2008, 03:24 PM

359 posts, read 1,312,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
To be fair, people might not be friends with any person in their neighborhood no matter who lives next door. We had our friends before moving into this subdivision and after five years all our neighbors are really just acquaintances. That might be a sad comment, but it's reality for us at least. As I've said before here, I believe any strife comes down to economic differences over skin color.
Now that's true. I have Mexican across form me, fillipino next o him, blacks next to her, hispanic next to me, white next to her.....and I don't talk to anyone cause that's how I like it! lol! well i do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta