Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:50 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,702,009 times

Advertisements

This ^^^^ @ 10:35!Apparently the relative size of the cities & the metros matters more to some Houstonians than it does generally to Atlantans, judging by various posts I've previously seen on the topic here at the forum.Atlanta is what it is, and it's no small potatoes.For context, there was a thread in the city to city area that specifically dealt with Houston vs. Atlanta & it got nasty in tone & I believe was shut down by the mods.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:22 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,242,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Houston IS bigger than Atlanta. But, so what?
This is correct.
About the infrastructure there. The highways are NICE. They are huge and take up way too much land on each side, but they are nice. The surface streets aren't so great though. There are hardly any right hand turn lanes! I never realized how much I love right hand turn lanes til I moved there. Also, quite a few of the regular state maintained rural highways were in terrible shape. Point is, the only impressive infrastructure I remember in Htown was the limited access highways. And IMHO, those circular chrome signs around the Galleria were gaudy as hell.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:44 AM

281 posts, read 473,333 times
Honestly it doesn't matter that it's bigger, I just don't get how people get the notion that Houston is sooo much bigger when in reality it's not, and it doesn't feel it either IMO.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:25 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,143,170 times
Houston's core is less dense than Atlanta's. SF is only 49 square miles and 800k people, yet it feels much larger than Houston and Atlanta. It's significantly more built up and much more bustling.

The problem with Houston is it's downtown is dead. At least Atlanta has a very active and bustling downtown during the day. It gives off the impression that it's a large city which it is...Houston doesn't. It's downtown is almost nothing but office towers which is a huge problem. Then Atlanta's also has a up coming urban midtown. Houston has nothing like this. Their midtown is a joke compared to ours. When you're in Midtown and looking south on Peachtree, you can see an urban streetwall for miles and see the downtown skyscrapers 2 miles away which gives off the impression of a large city. Houston does not have this.

Atlanta also has more interconnected urban neighborhoods. As someone mention, you have O4W, Inman Park(which is urbanizing in certain areas), Ponce Highland, Midtown, West Midtown, Sweet Auburn Atlantic Station, Castlebury Hill neighborhoods that surround downtown.

This is why Atlanta might give off the impression that it is larger in it's core. This is why also NOLA feels larger than Atlanta because it's core is significantly more dense despite being a significantly more smaller metro.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:07 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,310,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Overall, Houston is slightly bigger than Atlanta, particularly when it comes with the Houston metro region having about 6.3 million people and the Atlanta metro region having about 6.1 million people.
Atlanta's metro does not about 6.1 million people. I has about 5.5 million. Why add some mysterious 600,000 people to the stats?

Old 10-29-2013, 01:17 PM

23,469 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
Atlanta's metro does not about 6.1 million people. I has about 5.5 million. Why add some mysterious 600,000 people to the stats?
We might as well take a measuring tape into the locker room.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:18 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,702,009 times
As noted in the link here, the CSA population of metro Atlanta is 6.1 million.Atlanta metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-29-2013, 01:22 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,310,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
As noted in the link here, the CSA population of metro Atlanta is 6.1 million.Atlanta metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ok, but he was talking about metro. So how is that relevant?

Old 10-29-2013, 01:38 PM

People are all of a sudden using CSA all of the time now. In fact, even the MSA is a terrible measurement for Atlanta's metro. I think urban area is better which has Atlanta at 4.5 million.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Houston's core is less dense than Atlanta's. SF is only 49 square miles and 800k people, yet it feels much larger than Houston and Atlanta. It's significantly more built up and much more bustling.

The problem with Houston is it's downtown is dead. At least Atlanta has a very active and bustling downtown during the day. It gives off the impression that it's a large city which it is...Houston doesn't. It's downtown is almost nothing but office towers which is a huge problem. Then Atlanta's also has a up coming urban midtown. Houston has nothing like this. Their midtown is a joke compared to ours. When you're in Midtown and looking south on Peachtree, you can see an urban streetwall for miles and see the downtown skyscrapers 2 miles away which gives off the impression of a large city. Houston does not have this.

Atlanta also has more interconnected urban neighborhoods. As someone mention, you have O4W, Inman Park(which is urbanizing in certain areas), Ponce Highland, Midtown, West Midtown, Sweet Auburn Atlantic Station, Castlebury Hill neighborhoods that surround downtown.

This is why Atlanta might give off the impression that it is larger in it's core. This is why also NOLA feels larger than Atlanta because it's core is significantly more dense despite being a significantly more smaller metro.
Someone left me this as rep 'Agree, which you would take "sadly" off after Atlanta, It does appear you are a rallier for ATL..Thanks'

Uh, no, I'm just being honest. Houston is no better to me as a city then Atlanta, if not worst. They're both sprawling messes with no sort of semblance of planning and walkability. It's just Atlanta is the lesser of two evils. I'm still looking forward to getting out of Atlanta once I obtain my degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta