Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 06:13 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
In most of the city, I believe it does. Highrises as far as the eye can see, wide freeways, fast drivers, etc. For me, personally, once you leave the main north-south drags of Atlanta, it begins to feel like a much smaller city. In Houston, on the other hand, it can seem impossible to escape the hustle and bustle on many days.

As it has been said in the thread, Houston's core is currently not as active and urbane as Atlanta's. Still, the former is set up on more of a navigable grid, and the metro-wide density is more consistent all around.
Interesting. I'd like to visit Houston. You're right, Atlanta does thin out quite a bit away from the main north-south corridors.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:22 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Quote:
My nose was itching, so I thought I'd check out the Atlanta forum. Low and behold, there's yet another Houston bashing discussion commencing.

Meanwhile, in the Houston forum, the name "Atlanta" is met with a chorus of cricket chirps.
You must have severe allergies then

Old 10-30-2013, 06:25 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
But Atlanta is always on your mind as u stay in our forum.
I'm a former resident, so of course I have an invested interest in the city, and I obviously have enough knowledge about Atlanta to offer my input on discussions about it. Virtually NONE of you have any connection to Houston whatsoever, though, yet seem to obsess over topics that include it (you made sure to poke your head in this topic didn't you?). Having had a Houston and Atlanta address, I'm one of the few people here that has anything of value to add to these silly discussions. You can't say the same.

In the Houston forum, Atlanta almost never comes up, unless it's from one of your residents looking to move here. I dare say that I'm the only Houstonian who has some feeling towards the city besides indifference.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:49 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
I'm a former resident, so of course I have an invested interest in the city, and I obviously have enough knowledge about Atlanta to offer my input on discussions about it. Virtually NONE of you have any connection to Houston whatsoever, though, yet seem to obsess over topics that include it (you made sure to poke your head in this topic didn't you?). Having had a Houston and Atlanta address, I'm one of the few people here that has anything of value to add to these silly discussions. You can't say the same.

In the Houston forum, Atlanta almost never comes up, unless it's from one of your residents looking to move here. I dare say that I'm the only Houstonian who has some feeling towards the city besides indifference.
Vice-Versa.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:02 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Quote:

The OP isn't even in Atlanta. He/she said they were watching a video about Houston and Atlanta. Nobody in Atlanta cares about Houston. Just because someone postssomething about another city in our forum does not mean the entire metro Atlanta is in love with Houston

Old 10-30-2013, 07:26 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:

Your point would stand if the original poster was in Atlanta. We were just replying to a topic that came up in the forum.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:36 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
In most of the city, I believe it does. Highrises as far as the eye can see, wide freeways, fast drivers, etc. For me, personally, once you leave the main north-south drags of Atlanta, it begins to feel like a much smaller city. In Houston, on the other hand, it can seem impossible to escape the hustle and bustle on many days.

As it has been said in the thread, Houston's core is currently not as active and urbane as Atlanta's. Still, the former is set up on more of a navigable grid, and the metro-wide density is more consistent all around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillstuckinthesouth View Post
Interesting. I'd like to visit Houston. You're right, Atlanta does thin out quite a bit away from the main north-south corridors.
Huh?!

I-85 NE all the way from downtown to Mall of Georgia (35 miles) is "hustle and bustle."

I-75 NW all the way from downtown to Wade Green Road in Kennesaw (30 miles) is "hustle and bustle."

I-75 S all the way from downtown to McDonough (32 miles) is "hustle and bustle."

1-20 E all the way from downtown to Salem Road in Conyers (30 miles) is "hustle and bustle."

GA 400 N all the way from downtown to Alpharetta (30 mile) is "hustle and bustle."

Old 10-30-2013, 08:46 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Huh?!

I-85 NE all the way from downtown to Mall of Georgia (35 miles) is "hustle and bustle."

I-75 NW all the way from downtown to Wade Green Road in Kennesaw (30 miles) is "hustle and bustle."

I-75 S all the way from downtown to McDonough (32 miles) is "hustle and bustle."

1-20 E all the way from downtown to Salem Road in Conyers (30 miles) is "hustle and bustle."

GA 400 N all the way from downtown to Alpharetta (30 mile) is "hustle and bustle."
From my trips down to Houston, "hustle and bustle" must mean "sit on the freeway." Worse than Atlanta and Dallas both from a traffic standpoint if you can believe that.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:51 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times
Quote:

Your a houstonian. The person who started that thread doesn't even live in Atlanta but threads that compare Atlanta to Houston there hardly ever created by forumers from Atlanta.. Is there not enough going in Houston forum to keep u busy? As much as u stay on the Atlanta boards u would think u still lived in Atlanta. Atlanta stays on your mind its okay to admit that. Honestly I don't believe u ever lived in Atlanta ... Visit yes .. lived No

Last edited by Staysean23; 10-30-2013 at 11:00 PM..

Old 10-30-2013, 11:14 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
From my trips down to Houston, "hustle and bustle" must mean "sit on the freeway." Worse than Atlanta and Dallas both from a traffic standpoint if you can believe that.
Yeah, one can most definitely believe that as Houston is the ultimate car-loving, car-crazy town with an ultra-dominant car-culture.

Houstonians have a reputation for loving their cars move than they love life itself and being more car-obsessed than even Atlanta, Detroit and L.A.

The I-10 West Katy Freeway was a parking lot before they widened it out to almost 30 lanes (18-20 through lanes and 6-8 local surface lanes for a total of up to 26 lanes...one of the widest, if not the widest, freeways on the face of the entire earth...definitely one of the world's ultimate car towns).
Expanded Katy Freeway shaves minutes from commute - Houston Chronicle

Interstate 10 in Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
From the link above:
Quote:
In Houston, from the western suburb of Katy to downtown, I-10 is known as the Katy Freeway. This section was widened in 2008 to as many as 26 total lanes, counting the 6 lanes of the access road, which are not limited-access and therefore technically not part of the freeway itself, but are directly adjacent.[SIZE=2][9][/SIZE] Between the West Beltway and the West Loop, the minimum lane count is 22 total lanes. In this section, the width is 24 lanes at multiple locations and up to 26 lanes east of Gessner road (12 main lanes, 8 lanes of access roads, and 6 mid-freeway HOT/HOV lanes). From the Fort Bend county line to I-610, there is a minimum of 4 main lanes in each direction.[SIZE=2][10][/SIZE] The maximum number of undivided lanes at any point on the freeway is 9 (though this includes one exit-only lane), in the eastbound direction approaching Antoine Drive; in the world, this is one of the widest sections of undivided highway in a single direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta