Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 12:42 PM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I went there for a day, and I didn't find it all that. It's not like it's Atlanta where it's not that historic, but it's a big metropolis anyway so it overrides the lack of historic and cultural attractions. It's not historic like Savannah and it's not big so that's like a bad combination. Essentially, what I'm saying is that it's boring.

Going to Savannah is like going back in time. That's what makes it so charming and why it gets a lot of tourists despite it's small size. 12m tourists for a 300k metro is MASSIVE. It has great restaurants, great history, is on the coast, and it's beautiful and charming. I need to take a trip back to Savannah soon.
'I went there for a day.' Busted.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:47 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,143,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
'I went there for a day.' Busted.
Uh, what? Curiosity is what led to me take a 1.5 hour drive to Augusta and see it.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:21 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times
Quote:
Uh, what? Curiosity is what led to me take a 1.5 hour drive to Augusta and see it.
The point she's making is that one day is hardly enough time to get to know a city.

I think we're finally getting to the bottom of why you're so easily unimpressed with...everywhere.

Do you atleast interact with the people in these places you despise so much?

Old 11-02-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
The point she's making is that one day is hardly enough time to get to know a city.

I think we're finally getting to the bottom of why you're so easily unimpressed with...everywhere.

Do you atleast interact with the people in these places you despise so much?
Augusta isn't that big....1 day is enough to experience a good chunk of Augusta. Why would that need to be a multi-day trip? to do what? Please tell me.

I'm unimpressed with cities that lack culture, history, sophistication and walkability. I'm very impressed with most Northeastern cities, NOLA, Savannah, Charleston, SF, LA, Seattle, Chicago....I mean, what do these cities have in common? Most of them have very walkable cores and neighborhoods that ooze character and energy.

That's something Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas lack for the most part. This is why I'm not impressed with these cities and most southern cities. Just sprawl...people don't vacation and tour cities for sprawl. They tour them for the city itself, which those three don't have much of.

Last edited by Ant131531; 11-02-2013 at 02:45 PM..

Old 11-02-2013, 02:53 PM

I think you need more of an adventurous spirit. I like to travel off of the beaten path, and find character where most people don't seem to be able to. You, on the other hand, seem to just want to pay the price of admission, have a seat and wait to be entertained.

I don't really believe in boring places, but I do believe in boring people.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I think you need more of an adventurous spirit. I like to travel off of the beaten path, and find character where most people don't seem to be able to. You, on the other hand, seem to just want to pay the price of admission, have a seat and wait to be entertained.

I don't really believe in boring places, but I do believe in boring people.
I can't be adventurous when I'm in my car traveling from place to place as opposed to being able to walk from neighborhood to neighborhood and experiencing the city that way. That's something you can't do in Houston, Atlanta, and Dallas.

I very much believe in boring places. I guess if you believe a hicktown in Georgia or Texas can be exciting, then we have nothing else to talk about.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I can't be adventurous when I'm in my car traveling from place to place as opposed to being able to walk from neighborhood to neighborhood and experiencing the city that way. That's something you can't do in Houston, Atlanta, and Dallas.
If I can do it, then you can. Like I said, you seem to lack an adventurous spirit.

Quote:
I very much believe in boring places. I guess if you believe a hicktown in Georgia or Texas can be exciting, then we have nothing else to talk about.
I guess a place would have to be exciting, if one's own personal life was just that dull. For me, "interesting" is good enough. There's a time and place for exciting, but I don't need it all the time.

If you and I both took a trip to New Orleans, you'd be the one hanging out on Bourbon Street. I'd be in The Marigny making friends with the locals. I think that's the difference between you and I.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:37 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,868,570 times
Quote:
If I can do it, then you can. Like I said, you seem to lack an adventurous spirit.

I guess a place would have to be exciting, if one's own personal life was just that dull. For me, "interesting" is good enough. There's a time and place for exciting, but I don't need it all the time.

If you and I both took a trip to New Orleans, you'd be the one hanging out on Bourbon Street. I'd be in The Marigny making friends with the locals. I think that's the difference between you and I.
I think you two were made for each other.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:37 PM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Quote:

If you spend that much time in a city, don't expect your opinions to taken seriously.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:41 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,905,951 times
Both wonderful cities IMHO and I have spent plenty of time in Houston. To the OP's question yes Houston feels bigger than Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta