Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 04:11 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,396,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -StarBright- View Post
They are similar?
Okay. Sorry. Columbus: the Augusta of west Georgia!

Old 11-01-2013, 05:15 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,868,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Okay. Sorry. Columbus: the Augusta of west Georgia!
Macon: the Macon of middle Georgia. No, wait, Warner Robins has taken that crown.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:09 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,396,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Macon: the Macon of middle Georgia. No, wait, Warner Robins has taken that crown.
That's the spirit!!!!!

Old 11-01-2013, 07:34 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Augusta: The Columbus of east Georgia!
As I said before, I'm not as familiar with Columbus, but I know it doesn't have the Colonial history of Augusta (which is almost as old as New Orleans), and I'm assuming it's also not as beautiful all around.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:49 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,868,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansleypark View Post
that's the spirit!!!!!
Well I tried the green grinning emoticon several times but it goes back to punctuation, so considered yourself grinned at...

Old 11-01-2013, 09:20 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,938,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
As I said before, I'm not as familiar with Columbus, but I know it doesn't have the Colonial history of Augusta (which is almost as old as New Orleans), and I'm assuming it's also not as beautiful all around.
Almost as old as New Orleans?! That's a really odd comparison. New Orleans was founded in 1718 by the French. Augusta was founded in 1735, two years after James Oglethorpe founded Savannah. Augusta and Savannah share Colonial history. Augusta and New Orleans share none.

Though not founded until 1828, Columbus has a large historic district downtown with many pre-civil war homes that have been restored, brick-paved streets and pocket parks with fountains. In some ways, it reminds me of Savannah. The Columbus Riverwalk is very nice and much more accessible than Augusta's (which is cut off from downtown by a levee). The Chattahoochee River flow through downtown Columbus is quite pretty, too. From a topography point of view, I find the region around Columbus much prettier than East Georgia. The terrain is very green and hilly and Columbus has some really nice residential neighborhoods.

"Assuming it's not as beautiful" ... ? I've heard Augusta called many things, but "beautiful" is not one of them. I've seen a few nice parts of Augusta, but much of the city is just plain ugly IMO.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:33 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,509 posts, read 15,115,918 times
The Riverwalk in Augusta is very accessible and I've never heard anybody say it's cut off from downtown.. The levee does cut the Riverwalk off from the Savannah River though...

I've lived in Augusta for multiple years now and many people have called the city beautiful...

Every year hundreds of thousands of people always fall in love with the historic neighborhoods in the city(Summerville, Forest Hills, CBD, Olde Town)..

The bias against the city of Augusta from certain people is hilarious on this forum...

Old 11-02-2013, 11:09 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Almost as old as New Orleans?! That's a really odd comparison. New Orleans was founded in 1718 by the French. Augusta was founded in 1735, two years after James Oglethorpe founded Savannah. Augusta and Savannah share Colonial history. Augusta and New Orleans share none.
Show me where I said that New Orleans and Augusta share anything. What I said is the latter is almost as old as the former, and it is. Seventeen years is not a long time, when it comes to the age of cities. It's far older than Atlanta. That's for sure.

Quote:
"Assuming it's not as beautiful" ... ? I've heard Augusta called many things, but "beautiful" is not one of them. I've seen a few nice parts of Augusta, but much of the city is just plain ugly IMO.
Okay. As you said, that's your opinion.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:33 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,169,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Not true. If someone were to tell me Dallas was nice, I would do nothing but agree with them.

Dallas vs. Houston is nothing but good old fashioned sibling rivalry. There's no real venom there

The Atlanta vs. Houston discussions wouldn't get so nasty if there were more people from each city that actually had some real experience with both.
I was referring to some of the Houston and Dallas homers of city data. But u are right, I myself like both Dallas and Houston even though I can be a Austin homer on here from time to time.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:55 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,141,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The Riverwalk in Augusta is very accessible and I've never heard anybody say it's cut off from downtown.. The levee does cut the Riverwalk off from the Savannah River though...

I've lived in Augusta for multiple years now and many people have called the city beautiful...

Every year hundreds of thousands of people always fall in love with the historic neighborhoods in the city(Summerville, Forest Hills, CBD, Olde Town)..

The bias against the city of Augusta from certain people is hilarious on this forum...
I went there for a day, and I didn't find it all that. It's not like it's Atlanta where it's not that historic, but it's a big metropolis anyway so it overrides the lack of historic and cultural attractions. It's not historic like Savannah and it's not big so that's like a bad combination. Essentially, what I'm saying is that it's boring.

Going to Savannah is like going back in time. That's what makes it so charming and why it gets a lot of tourists despite it's small size. 12m tourists for a 300k metro is MASSIVE. It has great restaurants, great history, is on the coast, and it's beautiful and charming. I need to take a trip back to Savannah soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta