Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 06:27 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
One of my best friends I've met here on the Texas forums, TexasReb will make a mighty fine argument that Texas is southern through and through. He says its main difference between it and the rest of the south is that it is the WESTERN south. But still the south.

I agree with him.
I've always thought this an amusing debate. My wife, from Dallas / Ft. Worth, argues that Texas is not part of the region we generally call the US South. Yes, it's in the southern part of the US, but stands apart from the other southern states. So, if you ask her where in the South she is from, she'll happily reply, "Dahlin', I'm not from the South. I'm from Texas."

Old 11-05-2013, 07:08 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I've always thought this an amusing debate. My wife, from Dallas / Ft. Worth, argues that Texas is not part of the region we generally call the US South. Yes, it's in the southern part of the US, but stands apart from the other southern states. So, if you ask her where in the South she is from, she'll happily reply, "Dahlin', I'm not from the South. I'm from Texas."
It's not a topic that Texans will ever come to a complete agreement on. Most of us readily identify with the South, but there are a few who, for whatever reason, insist they have no part in it.

At the end of the day, everything that exists in "The South", exists in Texas. It's Dixie with a twist. The same goes for Louisiana, really.

If you're out in Austin, you may not get much of a southern feeling, but if you're in Beaumont, that feeling will hit you almost instantly.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:36 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times
Quote:
Here is an old thread started by the guy to whom I referred earlier. Makes a great argument on why Texas is definitely southern. Interesting read if this subject interests you.

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...ern-state.html

Old 11-05-2013, 09:58 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,231,551 times
On the original topic. From the air when flying into Atlanta and Houston I was floored the first time I flew into Houston as the sheer number of buildings I promise you I thought I was flying into Chicago for a second, Houston is massive. Coming from a well traveled North Carolinian. Atlanta is large but by all accounts Houston feels and looks way bigger and has highways for dayssss.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:26 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,440,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
It's not a topic that Texans will ever come to a complete agreement on. Most of us readily identify with the South, but there are a few who, for whatever reason, insist they have no part in it.

At the end of the day, everything that exists in "The South", exists in Texas. It's Dixie with a twist. The same goes for Louisiana, really.

If you're out in Austin, you may not get much of a southern feeling, but if you're in Beaumont, that feeling will hit you almost instantly.
I'm from Georgia originally and I've never thought of Texas as being part of the South but "out West" because it is so far west.

Food for thought: Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St Louis, D.C. Indianapolis, and Baltimore to name a few Northern towns are all closer to Atlanta than Houston is and Atlanta is pretty much thought of as in the center of the Old South. That is why I don't think of Texas as part of this region.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:19 PM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
One of my best friends I've met here on the Texas forums, TexasReb will make a mighty fine argument that Texas is southern through and through. He says its main difference between it and the rest of the south is that it is the WESTERN south. But still the south.

I agree with him.
Brother Marks--

Yes--I've been involved with TexasReb on this very topic. I actually like him.

However, y'all are wrong.

Texas is not Southern. Texas is Texan.

Just like the American South is an amalgamation of Anglo-Celtic, West African, Native American, and Creole French/Spanish traditions and cultures, Texas is an amalgamation of Southern, North Mexican/Tejano, Spanish, Native American, Midwestern/Great Plains, Southwestern/Mountain West traditions and culture.

Texas has lots of Southern elements, yes...but Texas is purely Texan--not Southern.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:

^^^
This. Love it--and so true.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
You see, I don't Texas is Western either.

Texas is Texan (see two posts above).

Old 11-05-2013, 12:29 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,939,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

I've found Texan to be basically a division of southern. I definitely agree that there are those who say their Texan for whatever reason (I imagine Texas pride is a huge one). Still haven't been able to tell the difference between Texas country music and Nashville country but people assure me there is one and that Texas is better. Driving through small towns in east Texas you feel like you're anywhere in the south. Really isn't a big difference. More trucks perhaps.

One of the biggest differences I've noticed is that my fellow students from suburbs of the major Texas cities all seem to be much more "Texan/country" than in Atlanta suburbs.

Also the influence of Mexican culture is huge in Texas. Especially for border areas like near Brownsville. Many non-hispanics are familiar with the food and language just from the mix of people. Grocery stores would go out of business if they didn't include Mexican food products.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:31 PM

So that everyone is clear...

The American South
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
South Carolina
Louisiana
North Florida (roughly everything north of Orlando)
Tennessee
North Carolina
Arkansas (including present-day Missouri bootheel and present-day Missouri south of U.S. 60)
Kentucky (minus Cincinnati suburbs)
South Virginia (roughly south of a line from just north of Richmond over to Charlottesville, but curving north a bit to include a lot of the Shenandoah Valley; also including a few contiguous parts of present-day West Virginia)

U.S. Route 60 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:US 60 map.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
*US 60 is actually a decent line for the (rough) northern limits of the American South...stopping at the Oklahoma border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta