Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 05:37 AM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Gosh, if West Cobb is redneck, what is Paulding?
And what is even more funny, most the Sprayberry Area is East Cobb.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:52 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Gosh, if West Cobb is redneck, what is Paulding?
Oh, the factor goes up the further west you go, for sure.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
And what is even more funny, most of the Sprayberry Area is East Cobb.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
From 3 years in the 80s and my current ten years here in the DFW area, it is the south, especially everything west of I-35 and north of 1-10. Carry that on up through Oklahoma as well. The main reason I balk at the notion of Texans who don't think they are southern is the Texan pride thing... taken that they are better than the rest of the south. Well they aren't dang it.

There is the Mexican influence that you don't find in the rest of the south but that is because it is the "Western South" as Texas Reb calls it. But here are the reasons Texas is the south through and through:

Accent: Definitely southern. It has its own Texas twist, but there is as much of a variation within the rest of the south on the southern accent. There is more of a difference in Georgia Mountain southern and coastal Georgia southern accents as there is between Texas and the rest of the south.

Settlement: Texas was primarily settled be southerners from eastern states. Tennesseans were here in huge numbers. My anecdotal research (me asking where Texans where there ancestors came to Texas from) would show Tennessee in the top spot.

Religion: The preponderance of conservative evangelicals led by the Southern Baptist Convention is huge in Texas. The south is considered the bible belt. Texas is the buckle.

History: Texas was a member of the confederacy, a slave state and has an agricultural history totally in line with the rest of the south. It does add the ranching part of agriculture, but that is because it is the "western" south. That fact doesnt make it NOT the south.

Politics: Texas is a red state, as red as any in the south and redder than some.

Cuisine: Again, there is a Texas twist, but each state has its own twist on the southern diet. Less dependence on veggies and more on beef and there is the Tex-Mex thing happening because of the nearness to Mexico. Grits and Sweet Tea are found most places.

Texas has more in common with the rest of the south than Louisiana IMHO. The French Cajun influence there makes it much more different than the rest of the south, but no one would argue that Louisiana isn't southern. It is unique for sure, it is Texas, but it is still solidly the south.
Again, Brother Marks, I do not deny that Texas has many Southern elements, even significant Southern elements.

The "Southerness" of Texas is a major part of the whole that makes Texas what it is--a unique and beautiful culture and country.

But--

The people in Texas are not Southerners--they are Texans.

Texas is not in the American South--it is in...well, Texas.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:26 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Indeed--very true.

The saying is...

"East Cobb Snobs and West CornCobbs"

Harrison is, like, a wannabe Walton/Pope/Lassiter.
Wannabe or not, my nephews did alright for themselves there, graduating from UGA, Cornell and GT respectively. So Harrison must be doing something right...at least my sister, who is an educator in Cobb, thinks so.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Wannabe or not, my nephews did alright for themselves there, graduating from UGA, Cornell and GT respectively. So Harrison must be doing something right...at least my sister, who is an educator in Cobb, thinks so.

Haha...it was in jest, Lady Lovin.

Harrison is a fine school...an excellent school. And West Cobb is a beautiful area.

Moreover--Harrison is the "The Walton of West Cobb."

As someone that grew up in tony East Cobb, it is just fun to poke fun at West (corn)Cobb.

And--as you know from my posts, I am fairly equitable in my promotion of areas/school districts in all parts of Metro Atlanta.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:51 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i don't think ant is saying we should raze it all (if so i have greatly underestimated his potential for sherman-ism).

it is true that in general single family home dominated neighbourhoods, there is nothing for people to do, whereas denser development can provide mixed uses and more street activity.

now, obviously, there are exceptions to this rule. obviously, the word "apartment" for many conjurs up mixed emotions, seeing as how apartments were built in the 60s through the early 2000s— as single use, project-style apartments that were accessible only by car, meaning only those that were poor would want to live in an apartment. so in that case, denser doesn't equal better street life.

the other exception is found in many atlanta neighbourhoods, such as virginia-highland, old fourth ward, and many neighbourhoods that have not seen restoration yet, such as pittsburgh and english avenue— and that is the omnipresence of retail on street corners, much of it in a very unique atlanta style that is somewhere between art deco and spanish revival:

these retail areas are found at regular frequencies throughout the older single-family neighbourhoods in atlanta, especially those dating from the 1900-1940 period. what makes this unique is that it allows for the existance of single-family homes while maintaining a walkable community and an urban fabric.
^ This. While Atlanta's coheisve urban fabric is somewhat spotty and limited, it sure beats Houston, where it's almost non-existant. Outside of Downtown (which probably has more surface parking in a CBD than anywhere else), it's just a drop-off to very low density sprawl. It's just not dense at all. Atlanta's got a serious problem with sprawl, but there's more of a taper with CBD > Intown > sprawl.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:40 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times
Quote:
The people in Texas are not Southerners--they are Texans.
Well, you certainly don't have the authority or knowledge to tell me what I am.

Hell, my grandmother picked cotton. Did yours? My southern upbringing and heritage would make you look like you grew up in Cleveland.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:46 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

Hell, my grandmother picked cotton. Did yours? My southern upbringing and heritage would make you look like you grew up in Cleveland.
Perhaps Texans are the only one to answer this question. My Texan wife says she is Texan, not Southern. I tend to understand that.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

You caint get more Southern than me brother/sister--don't even try it. And yes--I do have the authority, plus the knowledge.

Moreover--I'm (along with my deep roots) from the core of the American South...not the Southwestern/Mexican/Western/Southern/Midwestern/Spanish-influenced region/country known as Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta